Thai govt threatens to punish those who defame PM in social media

webfact

Govt. threatens to punish those who defame PM in social media

BANGKOK, 6 July 2015 (NNT) - Deputy Government Spokesman Sansern Kaeokamnerd has warned the online users who have committed defamation or libel of severe punishment, saying the government is getting close to identifying the person who spread false news about the prime minister and his wife.

Maj.Gen. Sansern said false information and rumors had been continuously spreading in the social media during this period. He said the government believed that ill-intentioned people were behind them and called on the public to use discretion when receiving information and check with mainstream media channels with credibility.

Those who spread false information took no responsibility on the information they had sent in the social media and the effects on other people, the deputy government spokesman added. The PM always listened to different views and he had the right to defend himself when he was defamed, Maj.Gen. Sansern said.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-06 footer_n.gif

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Check with mainstream media channels with credibilty", so the good Maj. Gen. Is suggesting we only get our info from outside the country, hell I get most of my factual reporting from Thai PBS and Coconuts!

I also use a VPN, a proxy server, mask my IP and wear a tin foil hat when posting. Can never be to carefull ;-)

More talk director thainess, lets see him commence a few million defamation claims in the Thai courts and a few 100 million more world wide.

Even his cohorts must be planning how to get rid of him by now.

The truth always hurts!

The truth is with all his faults he is still the best PM this country has had in the last 15 years IMO.

Even better that the previous coup leaders? 15 years.. is that 2 or 3 other coups PM's/directors/self appointed failures?

It is shameful to insult anybody's wife or family, even more so if the person in question has proudly served his nation's military for forty-two years. I am old-fashioned and believe that all such elderly and distinguished gentlemen should be treated with great respect.

I am old enough to remember the pre-internet days, when people weren't so quick to throw deeply personal insults around. It is one of the few downsides to the web, you get kids who've never done anything of value in their lives, spewing out insults against their elders and betters, and talking tough from behind their soft fluffy cushions of anonymity.

I really like this general. He's the kind of guy I'd like to have my ears rubbed by and then tell me a story about how Thailand was 40 years ago. No pesky youth committed to telling the truth or exposing blatant lies. Graft so deep and imbedded no one dared speak of it. Ah, the good ol' days. We'd sip Blue Label and sleep like giants.

I am old enough to remember the pre-internet days, when people weren't so quick to throw deeply personal insults around. It is one of the few downsides to the web, you get kids who've never done anything of value in their lives, spewing out insults against their elders and betters, and talking tough from behind their soft fluffy cushions of anonymity.

I'm old enough to remember when there was freedom of speech, people in power expected criticism which keeps things in check, and those in power weren't so <deleted> touchy. I'm old enough to remember not worrying about being punished for exercising freedom of speech.

Come to think about it, I'm still not worried.

More talk director thainess, lets see him commence a few million defamation claims in the Thai courts and a few 100 million more world wide.

Even his cohorts must be planning how to get rid of him by now.

He is only doing what he is supposed to do: Represent the political will of the notorious 50 "Important Families". As a package-deal: Respect authority, maintain "Harmony" within the society (never question anything handed down from any "Authority.") = Thainess ! Has worked quite well in the past for the members of the 50er-club.

Of course, once a major European / US newspaper takes up the daily sayings of undisputed wisdom by the "Helmsman" of Thailand and presents it in form of an addition in the "cartoon" section, the current "Helmsman" may want to retire voluntarily. To be replaced by a "cohort". Heaven forbid. The "Cohort" might be less entertaining and funny as the one we have currently, but still pursuing the same goals.

Cheers.

Elvis Costello had a song called Clowntime Is Over - not in Thailand. The self-anointed one's feelings have been hurt ...

Assuming you're on topic you're spreading lies and defame the PM. PM Prayut has not been anointed nor did he 'self-anoit' nor did he ever state to be anoited, or 'the (self) anoited one'.

Of course if you're not referring to the PM in the topic I wonder why you posted your stuff at all.

Insecure man in power. Wonder why.

Could I ask you why you talk about the 'insecure man in power' in relation to the topic?

BTW as far as I know also in your country of birth there's a defamation law and the internet with people just writing what's comes to mind has helped clearify defamation, slander and threats.

I'm old enough to remember when there was freedom of speech, people in power expected criticism which keeps things in check, and those in power weren't so <deleted> touchy. I'm old enough to remember not worrying about being punished for exercising freedom of speech.

Come to think about it, I'm still not worried.

I totally agree that people should be free to criticise poor governance, bad decisions and corrupt leadership. Mocking leaders for these things has existed since forever, and is a given in public life especially politics. My point was relating to "deeply personal insults" which is something that has snowballed dramatically with the arrival of social media. Such as deeply insulting a person's family, these things are not the same as criticising poor political decisions.

Freedom of speech also has to be tempered to fit the circumstances in society, if there has been a lot of incendiary rhetoric in recent years, resulting in bloody street battles, then it is prudent to tell people to keep the incendiary rhetoric to themselves until the situation has calmed down.

I kind of wish they'd spend less time and energy going after non-violent, non-disruptive critics...

And spend more time and energy fixing the MANY problems that the govt. has on its hands and inherited from its predecessors.

Their job is to make Thailand a better place for Thai people and everyone else... Let's have THAT be the focus.

The truth always hurts!

The truth is with all his faults he is still the best PM this country has had in the last 15 years IMO.

Yet to be decided...

Democracy may not be all that its cracked up to be... additionally Thailand is perhaps not yet ready for a true democracy... However, when those in charge have all the weapons and no legal or moral accountability the issue takes on a more threatening and far more worrying nature.

Perhaps the media is too immature to report responsibly without ill-informed and unfair bias... however, the media control and removal of basic rights such as freedom of speech is also highly worrying.

This past year is a point in Thai history which could be looked up with the question... "why was nothing done to stop this?"... or "how was this allowed to happen?"... of course, without a crystal ball we have no idea of telling whether or not this Coup Government is good for the longterm future of Thailand or not.

BUT... anyone in a position of power should have the intelligence and ability to make account of himself for the people he serves....

Lets not forget, the people running our countries (any country) serve the public interest... unless of course they see themselves as merely leader and beyond reproach...

And just to clarify... I'm not Defaming the PM, I think he is possibly the savour of Thailand... ... no punishment pls... wai2.gif

It is shameful to insult anybody's wife or family, even more so if the person in question has proudly served his nation's military for forty-two years. I am old-fashioned and believe that all such elderly and distinguished gentlemen should be treated with great respect.

Lt.General Manas also proudly served his nation as well.

As did every military general that overthrew the Thai governments.

Who held these people accountable for their crimes?

Lt.General Manas also proudly served his nation as well.

As did every military general that overthrew the Thai governments.

Who held these people accountable for their crimes?

Once again, there is a difference between criticising serious criminal wrongdoing in government, using neutral analytical language, and going on twitter to insult somebody's wife or kids.

I also believe in showing deference to my elders, even if I am criticising their political mistakes. But that deference is my personal choice, and also a trait that I always admired in traditional Asian culture. I also show respect to all servicemen and women who dedicated their lives to defending their nations. I admire them greatly, and thank them when I can.

Freedom of speech also has to be tempered to fit the circumstances in society, if there has been a lot of incendiary rhetoric in recent years, resulting in bloody street battles, then it is prudent to tell people to keep the incendiary rhetoric to themselves until the situation has calmed down.

That's what Hitler and Pol Pot said! Well done!

The fact is that the worse things are, the more you many actually need a revolution, much less contrary opinion.

It is never up to a government to tell the people what's good for them. A free people tell the government what's good for them. Elections, campaigning, contrarian editorials, insulting editorial cartoons, mass rallies, public speeches and, horrors, DEMOCRACY.

This mess, and some people's beliefs are exactly 180 degrees out of sync with the truth.

Cheers