Extension of stay, rules on fixed deposit book updates?

Ok, wow, thanks....

So seems like Cambodia is NOT a good idea for a Non-O.

Thanks so much.

And... just for my own clarity... this less than great situation in Cambodia is totally about the people working in the Thai Embassy there, yes? Nothing to do with "Cambodia"?

Cambodia is a fine place to go.

It's different from Thailand and has not got anywhere near as many mod cons or the infrastructure but Phnom Penn and Siem Reap are great places to visit.

Regards Embassy comments, Thai Embassies can and have very different polices and quirks in different countries. Some gain a reputation as ' helpful ' and some ' not so helpful ' and of course, different people have very different experiences with them and their representatives, a bit like myself this last week with Immigration!!!

Penang has a good name in Malaysia as helpful and so does Vientiane and Savannakhet in Laos.

I have a Bank Account in my Name only, and the required funds for a Marriage Type Visa, but someone mentioned here that it must be in a Fixed Term Account. I have mine in a 3 Month Term Savings Account and now I am wondering if it has to be longer, and for the whole year.

Can anyone help me with this here?

I have a Bank Account in my Name only, and the required funds for a Marriage Type Visa, but someone mentioned here that it must be in a Fixed Term Account. I have mine in a 3 Month Term Savings Account and now I am wondering if it has to be longer, and for the whole year.

Can anyone help me with this here?

There is no requirement for the funds to be in fixed term account. In fact immigration would probably prefer it to be in a normal savings account.

If the money has been in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply for the extensin that will be all that is needed.

The one thing you may have to worry is about is the 3 month fixed term account rolling over before you apply for your extension.

• Like 1

For some reason flights to Penang for the dates I am wanting are pretty expensive.

Is Ho Chi Minh also a fine place to go for getting a non-O?

You might get a single entry non-o visa there.

Why not go to Vientiane for your visa. You can fly to Udon Thani. Then take a van to the bridge in Nong Kai and cross over to Vientiane. Nok Air has a fly/ride service to Vientiane.via Udon.

Most people fly domestic to Hat Yai and take share transport from there - both taxi and vans are available. Much cheaper than direct flights. If cost is major fractor bus and train travel are also options to both Hat Yai and direct to Penang (Butterworth).

• Like 1

For some reason flights to Penang for the dates I am wanting are pretty expensive.

Is Ho Chi Minh also a fine place to go for getting a non-O?

You can get flights to Hanoi between 4,000 to 5,000 return with Qatar and VietJet.

Vietnam airlines can be expensive on many journeys. I believe Cambodia Angkor air does Phnom Penn to Ho chi minh.

A lot of these short hauls are a rip off and I worry with some of the new budget airlines, coming in to operate some of these routes, especially internal flights.

I go this week and I am meeting a friend there who has four travel shops in Hanoi and Halong Bay. I will ask him the situation with non-imm Thai visas if he knows and can help TV with any information. I will report back if I have anything of use to TV members.

I know that is not a lot of good to you right now. I think you will get a non- O in Phnom Penn.

If you hit hassle, get the bus journey cheap aircon bus with wi fi from Phnom Penn to Ho chi minh via the travel shops. Vietnam is doing visa free now for many countries including UK nationals for 15 days,

it'll be an adventure and a bit of sightseeing for you and plenty of nightlife in Phnom Penn and Ho Chi Minh..........wai2.gif

Edited by Scouse123

There is a full Thai Embassy in Hanoi. Even though it is a smaller city than Ho Chi Minh it is the seat of power and nation's capital.

The odd report I have heard of, as recent as last October, have been positive and the Embassy helpful.

Apparently, they like to see proof of your return flight ticket/paper out of Thailand to your place origin/home country.

They also like to see up to date copies of a bank book or funds to support your stay for say, a 60 day visa for example. The rest are normal, correctly filled out application, photos etc etc.

I loved Hanoi but I went for a week, I travelled alone and I also went to Halong Bay which was great.I did three days, two nights there on a Baya cruise. Cave exploring, rock climbing, Kayaking, sightseeing and obviously all the limestone.

There is a vast amount to see in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum, ( Very strict on dress there and no cameras or phones) He actually asked to be cremated and his ashes spread in certain areas of Vietnam, as we know that never happened.

There was HCM palace and his modest dwelling where he actually controlled operations, his Russian cars, Maison central, the French prison, The Red bridge on the lake. Absolutely loads of interesting museums and of course, the inevitable War museums. Woman's museum, the hill tribes museums etc.

There was nightlife in the Old French quarter where I stayed. If you are looking for ' adult entertainment ' Hanoi is very conservative and if that's what you want, better you go to HCM. city.

Prices are cheap to all the parks, meditation gardens, museums etc

It was quite funny to see old proud ex North Vietnamese soldiers in civilian clothes walking around the grounds with their medals proudly showing in the war museums.

Oh, and about a million motorbikes and bicycles. I loved it.

• Like 1

Anyone been to Vientiane lately?

What I remember is- Make your application one day, and then no choice but to come back the next day, and I think I had to go back no earlier than about noon or so.

Anyone have specifics?

Also I am thinking it took about two hours from Vientiane to get back to Udon Thani.

Yes?

Anyone been to Vientiane lately?

What I remember is- Make your application one day, and then no choice but to come back the next day, and I think I had to go back no earlier than about noon or so.

Anyone have specifics?

Also I am thinking it took about two hours from Vientiane to get back to Udon Thani.

Yes?

You apply the morning of one day by 11:30 and pickup your passport the next afternoon.at 1:30.

Two hours if not delayed at the bridge.

Also, is this all I will need to bring with me for my Non-O?

presentation of my Thai bank book, recently updated, and copy of bank book name page and last entry page; showing the requisite 800k baht or more in funds on deposit. An application form (which I get at the Embassy); (3) 4cm X 6cm photos, fee of US$80?, and copy of passport face page.

Anything else?

The one thing you may have to worry is about is the 3 month fixed term account rolling over before you apply for your extension.

For the fixed term accounts that I use at Bangkok Bank:

1) When they are due the interest is booked to the account. Then simply don't touch them until extension as they continue as a "normal" savings account with some low interest. After extension is done you can do whatever you prefer

2) If the amount on the due date is higher than the 800k (400k) you can withdraw the difference and the account continues as in point 1.

Book update can be done at the bank counter on request without any transaction.

Just never: close the account and move the money to another account within the (2) 3 month period.

Hi Folks,

Leaving for Laos today and just wanting to be certain I am not forgetting anything.

Is this all I will need to get a Non-O in Vientiane?

presentation of my Thai bank book, recently updated, and copy of bank book name page and last entry page; showing the requisite 800k baht or more in funds on deposit. An application form (which I get at the Embassy); (3) 4cm X 6cm photos, fee of US$80?, and copy of passport face page.

Anything else?

Correct on bank book.

The fee is paid in baht only and is 2000 baht.

You will need two 3.5cm X 4.5 photos for the application form. See: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/PhotoRequirement.pdf

Not sure if this is the newest application form for Vientiane but you could fill it out and try. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/VisaApplicationForm.pdf

• 2 months later...

I have to update my fixed account every year by putting 1,000 baht.

SCB bank.

I happen to learn today that SCB is not able to do a book update at the counter without transaction (at least they say so).

At Bangkok Bank no problem at all. Update with todays date and no transaction.

Fortunately I need only my Bangkok Bank book for retirement extension.

Will close my SCB accounts in October (when fixed account matures).

What they say and what they can do are two different things - I know for a fact SCB can update as have seen them do - but it took direct order of manager and about 5 minutes on computer for officer to figure it out. This was after there update machine refused to accept valid passbook (not updated for long time) and would not return it (so they already had lost face).

What they say and what they can do are two different things - I know for a fact SCB can update as have seen them do - but it took direct order of manager and about 5 minutes on computer for officer to figure it out. This was after there update machine refused to accept valid passbook (not updated for long time) and would not return it (so they already had lost face).

Thats what I suspected.

But I kept my breath and left.

I had only opened accounts with them for the then good interest rate.

So I was not in the mood to further argue (except showing them my Bangkok Bank passbook to no avail).

The typical "can not" and "will not ask" attitude.

In the internet banking I searched for a contact/complain function. Not found.

Bangkok Bank easy to be found and got feedback some time ago.

I will close accounts and job done.

Two banks is enough.

Edited by KhunBENQ