Prayut tells legal fishing vessels to go fishing now

webfact

Prayut tells legal fishing vessels to go fishing now

8-7-2558-11-08-26-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday called on all legal fishing vessels to go fishing while warning fishing association to stop urging them to stop fishing to pressure the government.

He said authorities now knew who was behind the move to persuade legal fishing vessels to join illegal vessels to stop fishing in order to mount pressure on authorities to ease the high enforcement of illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing.

He said that he has ordered the Royal Thai Police to make investigations into the activities of the National Fisheries Association of Thailand and in particular certain individuals that have rumoured to have forbidden legally registered fishing vessels from going to sea so as to put pressure on the government.

“No one should attempt to prevent legally registered vessels to fish with the intention of pressuring the government. I have been given sufficient details on the matter and will be taking action,” he said.

He went on saying “many boat owners who have complied with the new rules have reported to me that even though their boats and crews are legally registered, they are under pressure from the association to not go to sea. This I cannot condone! I have asked all port authorities and other relevant department officials to meet with legally registered boat operators to assure them and ask them when they will be resuming fishing activities. If any of them still refuse to fish then there is nothing I can do to help.”

He told legal fishing vessels that “Since you have complied with all the rules, there is no reason for you not to go to sea! Let me stress again for everyone involved to stick to the rules and make everything legal because in the past everything was lax and you were operating under false circumstances. Who is to blame for that.”

Gen Prayut also reiterated that all fishing activities in the country must comply with international laws.

He stated that the government will provide help for those who needed it particularly for artisan fishermen who may have their livelihood affected by the new legislation.

Nevertheless, he stressed that any assistance must comply with IUU rules and regulation.

With regard to the ongoing nationwide regulation of the fishing industry, he said that all the involved government agencies must take into consideration three patterns of fishing activities presently being practised in the country.

They are offshore fishing, commercial fishing and finally artisan fishing.

He said all these three patterns of fishing must comply with international fishing laws to ensure that fisheries exports to the EU – the largest fisheries market for the country; are not put at risk.

But he stated that they government will be looking into ways to provide assistance to fishermen who may have trouble adapting to the new rules most especially for artisan fishing.

With regards to these fishermen, the prime minister said that he was willing to make certain exceptions which might entail a creation of a provisional clause within the letter of the law or even employing Section 44 of the Interim Constitution to accommodate their activities.

Such exceptions however, must not in any way contravene with any of the 15 clauses of the IUU (Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated) regulations, he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/prayut-tells-legal-fishing-vessels-to-go-fishing-now

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-08

I guess it takes some time to realize that the world outside of the armed forces is quite different and that telling legal fishing vessels to go fishing NOW might not have the desired result. It's a little more complicated that it seems. Suddenly, reality sets in.

These fisheries have long supported the illegal fishing here. Even profitted from it. Its good the PM has been made aware and is ordering the legal boats to get to work and ignore the threats and intimidation. I hope investigations sees exactly who is supporting these illegal boats and threatening others not to fish now so the country suffers with sole purpose of laxing the laws to allow the illegal boats to escape registration and compliance with international laws

Free people don't need permission to protest or go on strike or have a work slowdown. Even if they are wrong they get their opinions into the free marketplace of ideas. The government is right to stop illegal fishing and trafficking, but not right to tell a legal man he has to go fish if he doesn't want to.

Cheers

The situation implied is that the legal boat operators are being intimidated.

Go stomp on them PM.

On this issue I am behind the PM 100%.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Maestro
Deleted off-topic comment.

Tough one here. Really no law to force the legal fishermen to fish or the associations to stop their act. Fishermen need the associations who have developed close relationship with the government agencies for their paper work. Prayuth will have to do more than just warning.

Free people don't need permission to protest or go on strike or have a work slowdown. Even if they are wrong they get their opinions into the free marketplace of ideas. The government is right to stop illegal fishing and trafficking, but not right to tell a legal man he has to go fish if he doesn't want to.

Cheers

I agree with you 100% however reading between the lines it sounds like licensed boats are

being pressured into not fishing by powerful people. They have complained and that is why

Prayut know this is going on and who is responsible for this pressure. Not sure but that is

what I get out of it.

"That's a nice, LEGAL, fishing boat you have there. It would be a real shame if something bad were to happen to it"

I think the PM will have to bring in the Pu Yai (Big Men), who hes says are behind the intimidation, for a little 'Come to Jesus Buddha' chat, before the legal boats will feel safe to go out.

Mafia intimidation is a way of life in Thailand and it is insidious.

Tough one here. Really no law to force the legal fishermen to fish or the associations to stop their act. Fishermen need the associations who have developed close relationship with the government agencies for their paper work. Prayuth will have to do more than just warning.

Like opening up Thai waters to Chinese fishermen if Thai fishermen don't jump when he barks?

Even the PM is not immune to the "we know who they are" syndrome.

The coup was necessary to avoid a civil war. And the leaders of that imminent insurrection were... to be named.

There was bomb blast in a parking garage on Sumui. The culprits were all known by the investigators, and the names are...

An extensive set of human smuggling camps were wiped out. The leaders of this smuggling? One very tired General, evidently.

There are masterminds behind the 14 Thai students, instigating them to protest. And their names are....

And now, it is known who is keeping legal fishing vessels in port. Just waiting now for the name(s)...

coffee1.gif

Even the PM is not immune to the "we know who they are" syndrome.

The coup was necessary to avoid a civil war. And the leaders of that imminent insurrection were... to be named.

There was bomb blast in a parking garage on Sumui. The culprits were all known by the investigators, and the names are...

An extensive set of human smuggling camps were wiped out. The leaders of this smuggling? One very tired General, evidently.

There are masterminds behind the 14 Thai students, instigating them to protest. And their names are....

And now, it is known who is keeping legal fishing vessels in port. Just waiting now for the name(s)...

coffee1.gif

you illustrate very clearly what we already have known for years: naming and shaming is not the Thai way of doing things.

I can't say that way is wrong, I can imagine it is safer to know your opponents and to somehow convince them to do your bidding, than to do away with them and have new, unknown forces forming unseen in your back.

This story of the 'legal' trawlers being told to get out there & fish by the Gen. yet the Fishing Association militants 'advising' them to stay in port

reminds me of the news stories from years ago of coal trucks in the UK crossing NUM picket-lines...

...many will fear the repercussions that may follow..for instance once they've a hold full of fish..will they be blocked/barred from ports governed by the F/A..? Will the fish-buyers be unwilling to buy fish from these boats if the militants have 'had a quiet word' with them..?

Many scare-monger tactics may/can be used by the 'fish mafia'.

This story of the 'legal' trawlers being told to get out there & fish by the Gen. yet the Fishing Association militants 'advising' them to stay in port

reminds me of the news stories from years ago of coal trucks in the UK crossing NUM picket-lines...

...many will fear the repercussions that may follow..for instance once they've a hold full of fish..will they be blocked/barred from ports governed by the F/A..? Will the fish-buyers be unwilling to buy fish from these boats if the militants have 'had a quiet word' with them..?

Many scare-monger tactics may/can be used by the 'fish mafia'.

If the fishermen are being intimidated by others then that is not on and is what the PM should be focusing on. No good him demanding they go to work. If fishermen choose of their own free will not to work in support of their colleagues then that is their choice and should be their right.