Couple saves three Irish students from 'visa overstay' jail time in Thailand

webfact

I think 3 x 3500 is 10500. Or at least it usd to be. But don't let poor math skills get in the way of a good conspiracy though.

Does Surat Thani airport even have immigration, i dont think it does, why would they be fined there anyway, they were departing Thailand BKK, either badly reported or some BS being written

And 7 × 500 doesnt equal THB10500 BTW if it was genuine fine they overstayed 21 days

1 If 7 days = THB 3500
2 overstayed 21 days
3 scammed by someone
4 someone is writing BS

A few factual things wrong with this story

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Headline should read 'Three Irish students will think twice before taking a holiday in Thailand again'. How petty and cruel the red tape can be in this country. Hope this story is published in the Irish newspapers.

Overstay 7 days in Ireland and see what happens rolleyes.gifAt least Thailand will welcome you back again.

Oh do please tell us what will happen with 7 days overstay in Ireland ...

Thailand will only welcome peoples money, not the actual people ... Unless with welcome you mean the extorting police, scams all over and the unfriendly thais in generel ... I know many people that have been visiting Thailand 1 time and all say same : "We will never come back to that place where you get hunted for your Money from you step out of the Airport" ...

but mai pen rai, there is always the indian tourists according to TAT ... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Does Surat Thani airport even have immigration, i dont think it does, why would they be fined there anyway, they were departing Thailand BKK, either badly reported or some BS being written

And 7 × 500 doesnt equal THB10500 BTW if it was genuine fine they overstayed 21 days

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

Again, an ignorant person is heaving away before thinking.

First, 3 people with overstay 7 days equally amounts to 21 days, am I correct so far?

21 days times 500 THB is equal to 10 500THB.

Surathani International Airport MUST have immigration, otherwise it wouldn't be International,

1 someone is writing BS

1 Someone should probably think before start typing away.

And for me, I felt warm and fuzzy, not overly though, about the story.

The poster has already said "fair enough", so just because he miscalculated, something we all do from time to time,

that does not make him an ignorant person.

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

3 people thats 3500 ×3 =10500.....

[OT] Seriously 4 pages of moaning, drivel, and people pointing out the obvious to one person who didn't excel in maths? clap2.gif [/OT]

As per the article itself - it's nice that there are helpful people still visiting LoS - 400฿ to one inbetween a rock and hard place would be easy for me, but apparently not for the cynics in TVF, as there has to be a scam inbetween the tears of young people, prolly on their first trip abroad - sure... coffee1.gif

Typical irish princesses kickin up a fuss over a fart in the wind 300 euro is hardly a weeks work in ireland at minimum wage and theres three off em ..

ireland must be in recession if there havin a wonge over 300 stinkin euro

this is a crap story....they knew they had a 30 days holiday stamp..on arrival so the the rest is bla bla bla for the galery...!

anyway next time, i hope they will take more seriously the rules of the country they visit.

coffee1.gif

A very badly written and misleading story - but that seems to be normal these days.

Actually it has been explained - they departed Thailand so lost that 30 day visa exempt entry and only got 15 days on return but did not bother to check it - so misunderstanding is not that hard to imagine. They spent there money so were not traveling onward to Malaysia as planned but actually returning home so extra funds were not available. At least if other reports (hopefully more factual than press) are to be believed.

A very badly written and misleading story - but that seems to be normal these days.

Actually it has been explained - they departed Thailand so lost that 30 day visa exempt entry and only got 15 days on return but did not bother to check it - so misunderstanding is not that hard to imagine. They spent there money so were not traveling onward to Malaysia as planned but actually returning home so extra funds were not available. At least if other reports (hopefully more factual than press) are to be believed.

not true, read the link to the facebook page

Sorry but I have little sympathy for the three girls, who due to a "mix up" overstayed by 7 days, what "mix up" would that be then, difficulty with understanding the dates on the arrival card?

They were going on to Malaysia to continue their summer holidays, apparently with virtually no cash or working ATM cards, were they planning on busking then?

Seems they are just 3 scatter brains who have learnt a valuable lesson, pay attention and take responsibility for your own actions.

I agree.

Headline should read 'Three Irish students will think twice before taking a holiday in Thailand again'. How petty and cruel the red tape can be in this country. Hope this story is published in the Irish newspapers.

Try overstaying in Europe, the UK or the USA.

Yes? In the case of the UK, nothing would happen as there are no embarkation controls. Your passport photo and boarding card is checked, but that's it.

Sorry but I have little sympathy for the three girls, who due to a "mix up" overstayed by 7 days, what "mix up" would that be then, difficulty with understanding the dates on the arrival card?

They were going on to Malaysia to continue their summer holidays, apparently with virtually no cash or working ATM cards, were they planning on busking then?

Seems they are just 3 scatter brains who have learnt a valuable lesson, pay attention and take responsibility for your own actions.

The mix up could have been maximum allowed stay vs. validity of visa, i.e. maybe they got a tourist visa with a validity of 3 months, but the maximum duration of stay is 60 days...

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

Overstay fine per day stated in article is 500 baht. so 3 people X 7 days X 500 = 10500. Southpeel you really should check your figures before posting.sad.png

does anyone on this post actually read other peoples replies, 1 person corrected the mathmatics which should have been enough only for another half dozen to post the exact same maths thinking they are Einstein

And as I explained, everyone was wrong.

Thai immigration doesn't issue 'group fines', the fine was either 3,500bht or 10,500bht.

The girls had 10,000bht between them, so if the fine was 3,500bht each, only 1 Irish girl was facing jail time.

does anyone on this post actually read other peoples replies, 1 person corrected the mathmatics which should have been enough only for another half dozen to post the exact same maths thinking they are Einstein

No I don't believe many people do.

I think the overreaction to Mr Soutpeel's post was due to the fact that he is one of the more opinionated members of TVF and will be the first to correct someone when they are wrong. Stones and glass houses, payback, karma. Take your pick.

But fair play to him. He acknowledged the mistake, which is more than most do when they are wrong, so that should have been the end of it.

These women are absolutely clueless, on the facebook of Sorcha she is busy pointing the finger at "the Thais" because they decided to go to Cambodia, and that when they came back they changed their 30 day visa to a 15 day visa (for a land crossing). Her friends commenting on how funny it is and how amazing it is that Irish people will helpeach other out no matter where.. completely oblivious that these gals flouted the rules and were taken back that they weren't given a "mai bpen rai" at the departure gates.

Anyone who has done their research on the visa for the country they are entering, and anyone who checks their passport upon entering a country would have seen this.

Cannot understand how these women feel it is "the Thais" fault for the mess they found themselves in.

I had the same issue last year in terms of the 15 day visa waiver vs 30 day for an air landing, and once considering the time it would take to bus from Vientiane back to Bangkok (and on to Yala) I ended up flying back to Suvarnabhumi.

It's about thinking, it is about understanding your surroundings. These girls didn't. I would have ignored them had I seen them crying and weeping at the airport. People like this deserve a few days to consider their actions and how they impact their "summer holidays".

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

3 people 3,500 each =10,500

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

huh ?.... count again .

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

7 days x 3 people = 10,500 baht..

3500 + 3500 = 7000

7000 + 3500 = 10500

Hope that clears it up for you. [/quote

What it does not clear up is the were on route to Malasia for the second leg of there holiday and none of them had 3500 baht each or 100 U.S. To pay the fine.??? Why go on holidays with no money.

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

Overstay fine per day stated in article is 500 baht. so 3 people X 7 days X 500 = 10500. Southpeel you really should check your figures before posting.sad.png

it is good southpeel was not there to help.....they would end up with the 2 burma boys ...................

How were they going to stay in Malaysia with no money, where would they get the money from, oops I forgot they were women, so that's not a problem, I think this story has a lot missing or a lot of bullshit, or just written to fill some space up.

I always have a slip of paper in my passport which is very important to me. It is stapled there by the immigration officer when I enter the country.

Did the girls not have these? If there's one thing I have stuck in my mind when travelling it is when I'm departing. Very important!

Actually I'm sceptical about these chicks, not aware of when you have to leave? Come on, give me a break. How can that be? Stupid? Think there might be an Irish joke hidden in that one.

Anyway, nice they were helped out.

it was only 10 euros I think most of us would have done the same? good luck to them and don't be stupid next time? CHECK your visa is mandatory when travelling! glad they found their 'saviour' smile.png

Please, read before posting, and try to think...not easy I believe.

and how's that you sanctimonious ****?

They were short of TEN EUROS (400 Thai Baht) from the 10,500 they needed and that's what the couple gave them TEN EUROS

but I guess YOU did not read the WHOLE ARTICLE?

try to THINK? not easy I believe

Good call. Not checking your stamps is a rookie mistake... (and passport validity... classic).

Feel sorry for them not.. Never seen 3 people over stay, let alone one without knowing... No money, but plans to keep holidaying in Malaysia, funny shit.........

A lot of bitter negative people on this site. Yes was stupid to overstay but I have had same happen to me , went to immigration to extend visa was told I could not because was already on overstay. They said could see why I made mistake becuase visa stamp was over another and looked lik,e differnt date. As far as not having money to travel in Malayasia ever think they had paid for hotels and tour in advance/ Ever think they may have exceded daily withdrawel amount so could not use ATM card that time at airport?

When living in USA I set up a daily withdrawel limit of $100 on my atm card in case anyone stole card thats all they could get. If I needed more could go into bank and $100 would tide me overnight. Later as I traveld I increased the limit because I needed more for shopping, restaurants and other cash needed reasons.

Bleeding heart. If you don't understand foreign traveling, stay home watch TV and drink Irish whiskey.

Really? When I was a student I went travelling, miscalculated my budget, got lost, had to sleep on rooftops, jump freight trains, all the usual nightmares... and met some fantastic people and had a wonderful time, it was all a huge learning experience. That's the joy of being young, you can screw up and keep on going. If someone had told me to "stay home watch TV" I would have thought they were probably a fairly bitter and boring individual with no sense of adventure.

:)

Read the story from another source, they did have enough money in their ATM but they claim the ATM at the airport only allowed them to withdraw €150 max. They enter via land border hence only 15 day entry stamp.

Thats just not true, you can cash out up to 20k baht on any credit or debit card if you have the money on your account.