Somyot wants new pistols for Thai police

webfact

Somyot wants new pistols for police
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- National police chief Pol General Somyot Poompanmuang sent a letter yesterday to the permanent secretary of the Interior Ministry to request the import - direct procurement - of some 152,469 Sig Sauer pistols from a manufacturer in the United States.

This was part of a voluntary "welfare scheme" to procure the 9mm Sig Saucer Model P320 handguns for police as personal property for official use at an affordable price (Bt18,000). The weapons would supplement official handguns that were not sufficient and less modern due to limits on the procurement budget, according to the letter.

Under the scheme, a policeman must accept the following conditions before buying one of these guns: the purchaser must be a police officer; the full sum must be paid in cash; ownership of pistols cannot be transferred to others, unless they are inherited by children from their parents.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Somyot-wants-new-pistols-for-police-30264850.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-21

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder to whom dose the general owe a debt of an enrichment opportunity? as such a lucrative deal

can and will put a very pretty Penney in some one/s pockets.... as nothing in this country

is on the up and up, every one and everything has an ulterior motives,,,,,

The Sig Sauer is a nice pistol. Not sure how good the "Sig Saucer" is though...... - "....procure the 9mm Sig Saucer Model P320...."

First smart decision this man has made. A standardized firearm across the board is best, as all users are trained the same, know how it functions, and can use magazines from another officer should they require to do so. The current "dog's breakfast" of firearms I see these guys wearing makes me shake my head. I saw a cop with a .38 with a 1.5 inch barrel strapped on, lucky if there would be any accuracy outside of 5 feet with it.

Now, can he standardize the investigative skills of them above that of a grade one child (referring to the Koh Tao screw up).

Follow the money. Who's got exclusive Thai distribution rights for Sig Sauer?

I'm all for better pistols for the BIB (and not $$$ out of their own pockets), but where's the bids from HK, Glock, S&W, and others?

I'm all for better pistols for the BIB (and not $$$ out of their own pockets), but where's the bids from HK, Glock, S&W, and others?

This will be a govt commitment if it happens so with all the assurances about transparency etc should the potential contract not go to tender yet here we have the police chief requesting a direct purchase from one company, no value for money comparisons, testing etc it seems !

Edited by NongKhaiKid

It's a good idea to standardise weapons like this. What I am wondering is what will happen to all the handguns presently owned by police officers. Many no doubt will be sold off. Thailand has enough firearms floating around at present, does it really need thousands more in circulation?

Cops buy their own guns in Thailand, their own motorbikes too from what I hear. So, next they need to standardize on motorbikes. A lot of money out of the average policeman's pocket; where will the ordinary Thai cop get 18,000 baht.

Can only give the pistol to a child? What about the childless police.

If the country can afford 3 submarines it can afford pistols for its police.

Edited by IAMHERE

This is an excellent pistol which has also been adopted by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and the United States Secret Service. Their experience with the weapon has been outstanding for over 25 years.

Revenue of 2.7 billion baht?

Who is funding this purchase?

Why the need to import 152,000 firearms at once?

How many will go "missing"?

Getting LEO proper firearms is one thing, this "plan" sounds very, very dodgy.

Not much transparency on government purchases these days, and Somyot has to retire soon.

ownership of pistols cannot be transferred to others, unless they are inherited by children from their parents.

Is this a joke? How long will it take after that to see the first wipe out shooting in primary school?

Many police officers children become police officers, so I think that's what they mean!

ownership of pistols cannot be transferred to others, unless they are inherited by children from their parents.

Is this a joke? How long will it take after that to see the first wipe out shooting in primary school?

Primary school, what about tourist sitting at a bar having a beer, on motorbikes, walking. Screw the schools, let them kill each other.

Can't believe this. Illustrative of why the country is in such a shambles.

Police having to buy their own pistols??? consequently a total mixed brew of which the majority are untraceable or identifiable.

Inherited by their children???? This must be wrong. Children allowed to inherit their father's pistol. Even more untraceable and ludicrous. (and unlawful).

The police department should be responsible for the purchase, after the governments agreement and after a detailed investigation into the types most suitable. All weapons should be returned to the department after the person with it leaves the Dept.

I assume they have to purchase their own ammunition as well. Another way to spread a deadly problem throughout the community.

Do they have any weapons training or maintainance training?

To sum it all up, a better way to more accurately for the Govt.to shoot themselves in the foot, although they seem to be able to do this fairly successfully at the moment.

Irritable children who are quick to anger for little or no reason, should not be armed with anything more dangerous than a sharpened guava leaf, end of.

What is a gun to a member of the RTP anyway, it's just a penis extension, in the same way that army generals want their own tank, and the navy want submarines.

Heaven forfend that the owner may actually want to serve a useful purpose.

i loved post 11, that creased me up,i want to sponsor a policeman, where do i sign up,i want this hi-so status,when i get stopped by the cops,"do you know who i am,i buy guns for police" OK, sorry !! off ya go,

And what is to be done with guns police now packing? Is this going to drive down price on black market due to flood of lightly used sidearms? Is government going to buy those guns from officers (one would hope...)? Here is suggestion: fire each new gun in order to have data base from spent round for ballistics tests. Would not be all that difficult one would think. Similar to fingerprinting and help clear things up in a hurry when situations are a bit 'foggy".

First smart decision this man has made. A standardized firearm across the board is best, as all users are trained the same...

"Trained"? ... Thai cops? Don't make me laugh. And if they ARE trained in anything ... a "No Fail" or "Pay for a passing grade" policy would be in place.

Edited by Fullstop

handguns for police as personal property for official use

Please don't tell me they are introducing a 'bring your own device' scheme for police guns.

Thai cops must buy their own guns (and uniforms and motorbikes) ... with their own money ... hence, "Personal Property"

Edited by Fullstop