Huge meter-long lizards are crawling through the Bangkok sewers (video)

webfact

Huge Meter-Long Lizards Are Crawling Through the Bangkok Sewers and This Guy Caught One on Video
Helen Regan

Dragon or not, we're keeping our distance!

BANGKOK: -- One tourist got a nightmarish surprise during a recent trip to Bangkok when he filmed what he says was a “huge” Komodo dragon slithering through a storm drain.

“I was outside of a temple in downtown Bangkok and people were screaming and pointing into the sewer. There it was. I got the video to prove it!” said John Hernandez, who posted the video to YouTube.

Full story: http://time.com/3965538/thailand-bangkok-komodo-dragon-monitor-lizard-video/

-- TIME 2015-07-21

I remember one time when I was driving on the out skirts of Ayyuthaya around the Sena area.

Any way I was cruising along nicely when I saw a huge lump in the road up in the distance and couldn't for the love of me decide what it was.

Once I got nearer it turned out to be one of the above but it was about 3 times larger,that was a real surprise as it crossed four lanes of traffic lol.

If it's only a metre long it's a baby.

And it's a water monitor not a Komodo Dragon.

My garden hosts three generations of monitor lizard: the two old ones are about 3 metres long, the kids about 1.5-2.0 m, and the real babies around one metre. They are fun to watch and totally harmless to humans.

Few years ago early morning making coffee in the kitchen...one of these things came crashing through the ceiling and hit me on the shoulder making deep scratches with the claws on the side of my neck,

it wrecked the kitchen in the space of about 30 minutes, even ripped cupboard doors off.

Few years ago early morning making coffee in the kitchen...one of these things came crashing through the ceiling and hit me on the shoulder making deep scratches with the claws on the side of my neck,

it wrecked the kitchen in the space of about 30 minutes, even ripped cupboard doors off.

So, what'd you do, anyway, to piss off the ex?

So, what'd you do, anyway, to piss off the ex?

Thing must have been walking around on top of the false ceiling till it came to an area not strong enough to support it, when it hit me i dropped the french coffee press which broke then ran out closing the glass sliding door behind me, went into the bathroom and poured listerine over the scratches,

i had to leave in the next minutes on an errand to the post, so i took a fishing rod already set up and baited the hook with some gai ha dao from the bin outside, opened the glass door quick and cast it into the kitchen closing the door on the line,

My grand plan was to return from the post and drag it through the house and cut the line outside to release it, but when i got back the toaster, microwave and all plates and cups were smashed...it had,nt taken the hook,

At that point i decided the moo baan security should deal with it so off i went to get them, 2 guys came with a thick bamboo pole but by this time it had pulled a cupboard door off and gone behind the gas bottle,

Took them a while but they got it pinned down and got all 4 legs secured behind its back, they carried up the road then did a noun song sam and launched it over the moo baan wall,

Wow monitor lizards do some smelly shit, stink stayed for days,

The ex was gone months before.

Edited by tingtongfarang

I watched them in Lumpini Park. I am told they are fast enough to catch cats! One time my son (40+) decided he would take close-up photos. The lizard climbed a tree jutting out over the water. As my son advanced, it moved further out over the water. I cautioned my son not to get too close & be wary of his expensive camera. The lizard's tail crashed down on the trunk inches from my son's head. The blow would have crushed his skull.

I see some almost every day, even near my washing machine : the family lives in a swamp nearby, small and bigs ( I have seen a baby, 40 cms, on my sofa ) : they are very timid and detect heat ( animal or human ) with their tongue : difficult to approch them, they flee ( but , unlike said above, a cat is faster IMHO ) : I have heard that their bite is full of germs

where I live ( near Phetchaburi ), there are plenty of them !

Edited by Aforek

If it's only a metre long it's a baby.

And it's a water monitor not a Komodo Dragon.

Yeah, I saw one a lot bigger than that across the road from the Customs House during a heavy rainstorm one day several years ago. Glad to learn what it was.