Astaxanthin.

pastafarian

Been taking Astaxanthin for a while now but had to do without for a few months due to the Thai FDA returning packages to America but recently found a supplier here in Thailand. There are numerous benefits including those mentioned in the Huffpost link. The Thai supplier is in the facebook link.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/suzy-cohen-rph/astaxanthin_b_2750910.html

https://www.facebook.com/Astaxanthin4U?fref=ts

From the first link "Astaxanthin has been discussed by Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Joe Mercola and recommended by many health experts".

Dr. Oz and Dr. Mercola are two of the biggest quacks out there. Reason enough to believe this is just another snake oil "remedy".

However, if you're prepared to provide a link to a reputable peer reviewed scientific journal (not online and not one of the thousands of pay-to-be-published ones) that reports on an in vivo study in humans that demonstrates statistically benefits of this substance I'd be happy to reconsider my stance. After all, sometimes even Oz and Mercola can be correct, much like the stopped clock being correct twice a day.

And until then I'll be keeping my money firmly in my wallet.

You're not connected to the Thai supplier by any chance, are you?

From the first link "Astaxanthin has been discussed by Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Joe Mercola and recommended by many health experts".

Dr. Oz and Dr. Mercola are two of the biggest quacks out there. Reason enough to believe this is just another snake oil "remedy".

However, if you're prepared to provide a link to a reputable peer reviewed scientific journal (not online and not one of the thousands of pay-to-be-published ones) that reports on an in vivo study in humans that demonstrates statistically benefits of this substance I'd be happy to reconsider my stance. After all, sometimes even Oz and Mercola can be correct, much like the stopped clock being correct twice a day.

And until then I'll be keeping my money firmly in my wallet.

You're not connected to the Thai supplier by any chance, are you?

Plenty more info available on google re the benefits, as I'm not selling it myself I'm not going to search for an in vivo study or similar, wouldn't want the cobwebs on your wallet to be disturbed ;-)

http://www.naturalnews.com/023177_astaxanthin_antioxidants.html

No scientific studies or proof. Just online hype, much of it linked to people who sell the stuff. Maybe it has some benefits, maybe it does not. No one actually knows.

Quite a claim.

'Is there scientific support for astaxanthin in the research literature?

Yes. There is a substantial body of literature including in vitro studies, preclinical studies and several human clinical trials. These data consistently suggest that Astaxanthin, with its unique molecular structure and resulting potent antioxidant activity, may be an effective therapeutic modality for a variety of conditions, including cardiovascular, immune, anti-inflammatory, and neurodegenerative.

Have clinical studies been conducted for astaxanthin?

There have been numerous preclinical in vivo and in vitro studies and several human clinical trials to evaluate the efficacy of astaxanthin. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study demonstrated that astaxanthin was found to significantly increase strength and endurance. Another clinical study shows that astaxanthin alleviates symptoms in patients with H. pylori (pre-ulcer indigestion). A third clinical study demonstrated bioavailability in humans. Additional human clinical studies are being sponsored.'

No scientific studies or proof. Just online hype, much of it linked to people who sell the stuff. Maybe it has some benefits, maybe it does not. No one actually knows.

Quite a claim.

Yes. There is a substantial body of literature including in vitro studies, preclinical studies and several human clinical trials. These data consistently suggest that Astaxanthin, with its unique molecular structure and resulting potent antioxidant activity, may be an effective therapeutic modality for a variety of conditions, including cardiovascular, immune, anti-inflammatory, and neurodegenerative.

There have been numerous preclinical in vivo and in vitro studies and several human clinical trials to evaluate the efficacy of astaxanthin. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study demonstrated that astaxanthin was found to significantly increase strength and endurance. Another clinical study shows that astaxanthin alleviates symptoms in patients with H. pylori (pre-ulcer indigestion). A third clinical study demonstrated bioavailability in humans. Additional human clinical studies are being sponsored.'

Quite a claim, yet absolutely true.

As for "Is there scientific support...?" question the answer is a lie.

Search Google Scholar for references to human clinical trials produces no results bearing any relationship to the claims the quotation makes. To make life easy for you, here's the appropriate link https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q="astaxanthin"+"clinical+trial"+"human" (The third result, from Alternative Medical Review doesn't count as science.)

Rather than believe the dubious claims of snakeoil salemen who make themselves rich off the backs of the credulous, go to the source, find out the real state of knowledge, and save yourself a lot of money.

Incidentally, the quote appears to come from the site www.beta-glucan-info.com - a site which just happens to sell ... you've guessed it ... Astaxanthin! $29.95 a bottle, yet worthless.

Quite a claim.

Quite a claim, yet absolutely true.

As for "Is there scientific support...?" question the answer is a lie.

Search Google Scholar for references to human clinical trials produces no results bearing any relationship to the claims the quotation makes. To make life easy for you, here's the appropriate link https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q="astaxanthin"+"clinical+trial"+"human" (The third result, from Alternative Medical Review doesn't count as science.)

Rather than believe the dubious claims of snakeoil salemen who make themselves rich off the backs of the credulous, go to the source, find out the real state of knowledge, and save yourself a lot of money.

Incidentally, the quote appears to come from the site www.beta-glucan-info.com - a site which just happens to sell ... you've guessed it ... Astaxanthin! $29.95 a bottle, yet worthless.

I did as you suggested and there were many links that confirming the benefits of Astaxanthin, here is just one.

http://altmedrev.com/publications/16/4/355.pdf

I did as you suggested and there were many links that confirming the benefits of Astaxanthin, here is just one.

You clearly missed where I wrote "(The third result, from Alternative Medical Review doesn't count as science.)"

An article in journal which is dedicated to alternative medicine is clearly not evidence-based. If it were it would appear in a proper scientific publication. And anyway, the article itself is pseudo-scientific jibberish.

However, if you'd care to post another link or two that confirms the benefits of Astaxanthin in human beings I'd be happy to debunk them.

You clearly missed where I wrote "(The third result, from Alternative Medical Review doesn't count as science.)"

An article in journal which is dedicated to alternative medicine is clearly not evidence-based. If it were it would appear in a proper scientific publication. And anyway, the article itself is pseudo-scientific jibberish.

However, if you'd care to post another link or two that confirms the benefits of Astaxanthin in human beings I'd be happy to debunk them.

If I didn't have a life I might spend some more time searching for the health benefits of astaxanthin on humans just so you could debunk them but as I do...

If I didn't have a life I might spend some more time searching for the health benefits of astaxanthin on humans just so you could debunk them but as I do...

Fine. Keep ignoring the science. Keep acting irrationally. Keep pointlessly forking out the money. And keep making the snake oil salesmen rich. No skin off my nose.

Fine. Keep ignoring the science. Keep acting irrationally. Keep pointlessly forking out the money. And keep making the snake oil salesmen rich. No skin off my nose.

A friend that is a keen amateur mountain biker takes it and said he noticed it wouldn't take as long to recover after strenuous training sessions or competitions, coincidence?

My wife's cousin has had severe acne all her life and tried many things including prescription drugs to treat it but none worked that well, she has been taking Astaxanthin for 3 months and although still there she says it isn't as bad, coincidence?

There are loads of similar beneficial reports from people who actually use it and I noticed when I stopped too so thanks for the concern but 10 baht a day wont bankrupt me.

There is a large difference between anecdotal reports and scientific evidence.

By all means take this if you think it is helpful for you but do not make unfounded claims of scientific proof, non-existant studies and the like.

Quite a claim.

I think as you do not profess and MEDICAL Qualifications, stating the rubbish that you do here is no justification to espouse your medical opinion. I doubt very much the pigment in which this quackery is used for really works. If it did many major companies would have jumped on to it.

It is just another unsupported web idea taken up by people already too far gone to treat by the looks of comments on this thread

Given that , Leave it with Sheryl and close this thread before it causes irreversible damage to people looking for a hope on a quack IN VITRO (do you know why it is still IN VITRO) so called treatment?.

DROP IT and moderators close this thread.

There is a large difference between anecdotal reports and scientific evidence.

By all means take this if you think it is helpful for you but do not make unfounded claims of scientific proof, non-existant studies and the like.

Er, I didn't make any such claims. All links and quotes were taken from the interweb and there are many positive reports from people who do take it. Seems strange that it bothers so many people.

Actually, you did, in post #5.

That you cut and paste what you wrote from a commercial website doies nto make it any less a claim you were making. Please note Health Forum rules:

"2. Quackery and Misinformation: Posters should pay particular attention to forum rule # 1) "You will not use thaivisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false"....

This will be strictly applied with respect to presentation as fact any statements which are clearly contrary to medical science. A distinction is made in this regard between statements of opinion/reports of personal experience and statements of fact.

Posters should be aware that factual misstatements abound on the internet and, to a lesser extent, in printed media. In particular, broad claims to the effect that "X number of (doctors/scientists)" agree to something or that something has been "proven in X number of studies" without specific citations are often fictitious. If a poster chooses to repeat such information as fact, the burden of ensuring these citations are reliable rest with the poster, who should take the time to verify this."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/224498-health-forum-rules/

• 4 months later...

have you guys heard of the clinical research website the US national library of medicine national institutes of health ?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

if I need to to research a medicine, food or supplement this is where I go to first

there are listed results of trials on astaxanthin for skin, eye, cancer, antioxidants...

I did take it for a little while a couple of years ago and I noticed eye sight improvements during an eye test and now my eyes

are starting to age I'm going to give it another trial

btw imo mercola, dr oz and natural news are not the best places to seek accurate information as they use hype and scare tactics on their websites...

Quite a claim.

There have been numerous preclinical in vivo and in vitro studies and several human clinical trials to evaluate the efficacy of astaxanthin. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study demonstrated that astaxanthin was found to significantly increase strength and endurance. Another clinical study shows that astaxanthin alleviates symptoms in patients with H. pylori (pre-ulcer indigestion). A third clinical study demonstrated bioavailability in humans. Additional human clinical studies are being sponsored.

'

Please provide links this "substantial body of literature"

Preferably research papers /articles which have been published in reputed, peer reviewed Scientific journals.

I see we have the usual 'show me the peer reviewed scientific research' brigade here as if this proves whether something is effective or not.

If we have to wait for every thing we want to try to go through a so called peer reviewed process we wouldn't be able to try anything much except for the drugs that the drug companies want to push on us.

Further the whole process of much of this research has been the subject of much criticism for the way many research trials have been conducted without proper standards and many conflicts of interest.

Now I have no idea whether this vitamin works or not but there seems to be some evidence that it may and if someone feels like they are getting benefit from it who cares whether there is any peer reviewed literature to support it.

Some posters need to get a life and broaden their horizons a bit.

Just as there may be no proof it works there probably isn't any proof that it doesn't work either.

I see we have the usual 'show me the peer reviewed scientific research' brigade here as if this proves whether something is effective or not.

If we have to wait for every thing we want to try to go through a so called peer reviewed process we wouldn't be able to try anything much except for the drugs that the drug companies want to push on us.

Further the whole process of much of this research has been the subject of much criticism for the way many research trials have been conducted without proper standards and many conflicts of interest.

Now I have no idea whether this vitamin works or not but there seems to be some evidence that it may and if someone feels like they are getting benefit from it who cares whether there is any peer reviewed literature to support it.

Some posters need to get a life and broaden their horizons a bit.

Just as there may be no proof it works there probably isn't any proof that it doesn't work either.

Those who prefer to turn to "alternative medicine" when seeking a cure for their maladies are welcome to do so.

It is , however, wrong, misleading and dishonest to claim that "evidence" for unproven "cures" exists when it does not !

• 2 weeks later...

For those who discredit supplements, I have proof in 2 of my dogs that they work. My pug had terrible skin issues. I started giving her fish oil & Evening Primrose Oil. Incredible difference within a week or two. The other dog gets hardening of the soft tissue of the outer part of his mouth. My clued up vet told me that some Thai dogs don't produce enough vitamin E. 200 mgs a day - problem has cleared up. So, scoff all you may, I believe some supplements do work. When I lived in Hong Kong doctors would run tests as part of a check up to determine whether one had enough bit B 12, etc & would recommend them. I for one take several

• 1 month later...

I've just started researching Astaxanthin. Here's one reliable resource with no axe to grind.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/astaxanthin

The Mayo Clinic website - also very credible in the medical genre has general info on it, nothing negative that I found.

The Facebook page mentioned earlier in this thread says "sold out" - Does anyone have another source in the Pattaya/Jomtien area?

I've just started researching Astaxanthin. Here's one reliable resource with no axe to grind.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/astaxanthin

The Mayo Clinic website - also very credible in the medical genre has general info on it, nothing negative that I found.

The Facebook page mentioned earlier in this thread says "sold out" - Does anyone have another source in the Pattaya/Jomtien area?

And the key para on that web site

However, more research is needed before astaxanthin can be recommended for any of these uses.

Followed by this

Most of the small research studies to date have used between 2 mg and 24 mg daily. However, optimal doses of astaxanthin have not been set for any condition. Quality and active ingredients in supplements may vary widely. This makes it difficult to set a standard dose.

You can always tell when an article is full of pseudoscience. The verbs may, might, could are peppered throughout the article. While even the WebMD article uses these words it adds the caveat that 'more research is needed etc'.

The list of side effects and cautions should be enough to make any sane person think twice.

"The list of side effects and cautions should be enough to make any sane person think twice"

Point well taken for anyone who chooses to be overly cautious, but I'm primarily interested in learning if there are any specific known serious negative aspects associated with the substance. So far, I haven't been able to find any.

Since the cost is minimal and there appears to be considerable anecdotal support from people who have tried it, I don't see any valid reason for all the negative reaction here. I wouldn't want to eat a McDonald's hamburger myself, but I don't know of anyone who has been seriously harmed by doing so. :)

Still searching for Thai source. The iHerb reference above is from the States making shipping expensive, not to mention the risk of the product not making it through Thai Customs screening.

Archived