Trip Up North - a questions about hotels

So, I am thinking of doing a trip going from Bangkok up to Chiang Mai and then around the North for a few days, and back to Bangkok.

Here is the thing, I maybe renting a bike for this, as I might not have my new bike in time, but you have to leave your passport with the bike hire place. Do hotels accept a copy of the passport for checking in, or they generally don't care about ID that much?

I have never stayed in a hotel in Thailand, just my condo, or friend's places.

if you are using the same place i used to rent a bike from in bangkok they give you a copy of your passport back with some form of stamp on it and thai writing,all hotels accept it no worries this was bangkokbigbikerentals.

We live in CM.Some hotels insist on the original pasport being shown, some are happy with copies or using your Thai driving licence.

I would never leave a passport with any bike company ,show them the original and give them a copy.If they say no there are a zillion other bike hire companies in CM.Frankly I dont know how they

make money.Maybe the Chineses tourist invasion,most are absolutely hopeless on the road,they do drive on the other side of the road in China and continue that here ,take care we have had a spate

of motor bike deaths recently.