Dispatcher tells 911 caller tending to dying boy: 'Deal with it yourself'

webfact

Operator tells 911 caller tending to dying boy: 'Deal with it yourself'

Albuquerque: -- AN EMERGENCY services dispatcher has resigned after telling a panicked 911 caller tending to a dying shooting victim to “deal with it yourself”.

A woman called 911 on June 26 when she was trying to save the life of a 17-year-old boy, Jaydon Chavez-Silver, who was shot at a friend’s house in the US city of Albuquerque, New Mexico.

The caller was conducting cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on the teen when, in a moment of panic, she snapped at the operator, Matthew Sanchez.

According to a recording of the call obtained by the Associated Press, Sanchez asked twice whether the boy was breathing.

“I am keeping him alive!” the caller said.

“Is he not breathing?” Sanchez asked

“Barely!” she responded, before telling the dying teen, “One more breath! One more breath! There you go Jaydon. One more breath! There you go Jaydon. Good job! Just stay with me, OK? OK?”
“Is he breathing?” Sanchez asked again.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/operator-tells-911-caller-tending-to-dying-boy-deal-with-it-yourself/story-fnh81jut-1227462438944

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2015-07-30

To be honest, if the person on the other end of the line doesn't listen, then starts swearing at the operator...the only thing you can do is hang up...

I know this is a different matter, My Uk visa card was blocked when i went to pay a hotel bill, i phoned the 'hotline' to get it back on again. I was fuming because i told the bank i was going to Thailand, he was so calm, verging on smarmyness...so i said a couple of expletives, and he hung up on me...hahaha. I did not blame him, it was not his fault.

They are just trying to do a job, they are only human, if the person on the line is acting like a 'd*ck', (like i was) they should abort the call...in my opinion anyway.

To be honest, if the person on the other end of the line doesn't listen, then starts swearing at the operator...the only thing you can do is hang up...

I know this is a different matter, My Uk visa card was blocked when i went to pay a hotel bill, i phoned the 'hotline' to get it back on again. I was fuming because i told the bank i was going to Thailand, he was so calm, verging on smarmyness...so i said a couple of expletives, and he hung up on me...hahaha. I did not blame him, it was not his fault.

They are just trying to do a job, they are only human, if the person on the line is acting like a 'd*ck', (like i was) they should abort the call...in my opinion anyway.

I think somebody trying to save a life and a blocked visa card is ever so slightly different, IMO!

No doubt many people are alive today because you chose not to be a 911 operator.

I wonder what Nigel's previous persona was on TVF...no doubt heading the same way. Hmmm, they've finally removed that jerk smiley. Oh well.

I would have thought that 911 operators would be trained how to handle panicky people and people from all walks of life. He did the right thing by resigning.

It was the emergency operator who wasn't listening.

As to your "the only thing you can do is hang up" statement. Are you serious?? The "only" thing??

A "professional" emergency operator has to expect callers who are in a state of panic and should deal with it in a professional manner ... especially when it's a life-&-death situation. It's not about the operator and his/her over-sensitive ego ... it's about the person who's dying.

Finally ... nobody cares about your credit card incident, Richard.

Edited by HerbalEd
Flame removed

My younger son is a paramedic and works 2nd shift as the sole dispatcher for a fire and rescue team. I asked him, "what do you do when this sort of thing happens?" He told me it happens all the time, and you just go into "the zone" of training and professionalism. And you don't ever just hang up. Find out what town, what street the incident is occurring on so you can tone out the equipment, to get them on the way. You can provide them with a head start, then hopefully lock them into the precise location shortly. If people call and are just abusive (no emergency or fire - some people are just that way) he picks up another phone and calls the police to trace the call while he keeps them on the line, listening to all the garbage.

not when somebody is dying, you do your job and send help, jeez what a brain

Doesn't sound to me like that person is really qualified for the job.

Sticks and stones, etc. It's fairly obvious that in most cases your callers are going to be somewhat stressed.

Not that it may have saved the victim, we don't know, but I'm afraid they should be given their cards, shown the door and invited to apply for a job as a traffic warden or similar position where they can exercise their self-righteous smugness in keeping with the role.