Part of TIP report 'based on misunderstanding'

webfact

TRAFFICKING IN PERSONS
Part of TIP report 'based on misunderstanding'

THE NATION

30265592-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- THE DEPARTMENT of Provincial Administration has released information to counter part of the United States' 2015 "Trafficking in Persons" (TIP) report relevant to the department's work.

Grisada Boonrach, the department's director-general, explained yesterday that any request for Thai citizenship was made via district chiefs, who are local officials. He thus disputed the TIP report's statement, "Due to proactive efforts by some officials, 900 hilltribe members received citizenship. While national-level officials seemed to have a greater understanding that statelessness may be a risk factor for trafficking, this understanding had not necessarily become a standard at the municipal and regional levels."

Grisada said: "The report must have been based on misunderstanding or inaccurate information."

Compiled by the US Department of State, the 2015 TIP Report came out last week.

Grisada said that from January 2014 through June this year, the Thai government had granted citizenship to 10,551 hilltribe or stateless people.

"Since the current government came to power, it has instructed the Interior Ministry to prioritise efforts to tackle stateless people's problems," he said.

Also, Grisada said the Interior and Labour ministries had improved the registration system for migrant workers in a bid to reduce human-trafficking risks.

"To date, we have registered 1,626,235 migrant workers," he said.

Grisada insisted that the current government had abided by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

In addition, he disclosed that HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn had handed out 500 scholarships to underprivileged children, including those of stateless people, every year since 1987.

"Grantees can receive scholarships until they get a bachelor's degree. If they have a good educational record, they may receive scholarships until they get a doctorate degree. Grantees don't even need to hold Thai citizenship."

Meanwhile, the Department of Employment (DOE) will allow foreign ship workers to apply as technicians, in a move to deal with labour shortages in the fishing industry. Department director-general Sumet Mahosot said the new policy applied to workers from Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia who had obtained work permits.

Employees who have acquired ship-technician certificates issued by the government can apply for the position via the departmnet. The processing fee is Bt1,100.

The processing fee is Bt3,100 for foreign workers who have completed their nationality verification or those contracted under a memorandum of understanding.

However, ship workers holding pink one-year work permits are still unable to upgrade their jobs, pending an executive order from the Prime Minister's Office.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Part-of-TIP-report-based-on-misunderstanding-30265592.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-31

The only misunderstanding is that many among the Thai elite and armed forces do not know what "human trafficking" really is. To them being poor, persecuted and from another race or country means that a person is not human but a commodity. I love Thailand because of the working class people I know here who are among the best and most genuine in the world. However, I never cease to amazed at how some of the rich Thai people I have met have undocumented Cambodian, Burmese or Lao servants who are treated with less care and respect than the family dog.

Grisada said that from January 2014 through June this year, the Thai government had granted citizenship to 10,551 hilltribe or stateless people.

After at least eight years, DNA tests, citizenship tests, and after threatening a lawsuit.

What about the other several hundred thousand people?

Shame on Thailand.

Oh my, yet another ' misunderstanding ', it's fast becoming the excuse of choice and the way things work, or rather don't, here it's going to be overused in no time flat.

Isn't it AMAZING that the entire WORLD doesn't understand, but Thailand understands/knows EVERYTHING. lol

The Thai govt/culture never makes mistakes and ALWAYS knows. Don't ask for direction etc. however.... you'll get an answer but......

It is clear to me that the US (and the EU) has no understanding of Thailand at all, zero, ziltch, nadda.

In order to ensure that this type of problem does no occur again, I would propose that Thailand suggest to these interfering countries that in future, Thailand alone is allowed to write international reports on Thailand!

Farang not understand "Thainess".

It is clear to me that the US (and the EU) has no understanding of Thailand at all, zero, ziltch, nadda.

In order to ensure that this type of problem does no occur again, I would propose that Thailand suggest to these interfering countries that in future, Thailand alone is allowed to write international reports on Thailand!

Farang not understand "Thainess".

cheesy.gif Now those reports would be a joy to behold.

I can imagine a situation as with a BIB spokesman at a serious crime where instead of waiting until clear information is at hand there's a rush to multiple motives, it could be a business dispute or gambling debts or a political motive or..., or....or... !

At least some Thais might understand.

Was watching a BBC World report on trafficing in the U.S. According to the report most big cities there are rife with young people being trafficed in the sex trade etc. Maybe they (America) should clean up their own backyard before accusing other countries . The phrase ' pot calling the kettle black' comes to mind .

The only misunderstanding is that many among the Thai elite and armed forces do not know what "human trafficking" really is. To them being poor, persecuted and from another race or country means that a person is not human but a commodity. I love Thailand because of the working class people I know here who are among the best and most genuine in the world. However, I never cease to amazed at how some of the rich Thai people I have met have undocumented Cambodian, Burmese or Lao servants who are treated with less care and respect than the family dog.

Agreed. Unfortunately this attitude and these sorts of events are far too common.

Edited by Hayduke

Was watching a BBC World report on trafficing in the U.S. According to the report most big cities there are rife with young people being trafficed in the sex trade etc. Maybe they (America) should clean up their own backyard before accusing other countries . The phrase ' pot calling the kettle black' comes to mind .

The classic "Shoot the Messenger" defense. Also used on the playground by five-year olds caught out, "But, but, but, Bobby did it first", and routinely used by infantile Thai officials.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33710224

But the vast majority of children bought and sold for sex every night in the United States are American kids.

Not that this isn't an issue which should be addressed, both in the U.S. and in Thailand.

"The report must have been based on misunderstanding or inaccurate information."

Not a problem.

The USA has extended Thailand's GSP (favorable low tariffs) until 2017. So the Junta basically has sixteen month more before the 2017 Tier Report is issued to correct the USA and/or get Junta policies and procedures in compliance with Tier 1 or 2 levels.

The Junta needs more action and less talk if it is going to save Thailand's USA seafood market.

Oh my, yet another ' misunderstanding ', it's fast becoming the excuse of choice and the way things work, or rather don't, here it's going to be overused in no time flat.

You know how Thais write.....don't.

Maybe they are busy talking like usual and caught up in appearances...thinking that it is a beauty contest called "Miss Understanding."

Must be a misunderstanding. Didn't Yingluck say on FB "her" government had tackled all this or at least made great strides? Of course she never went into any actual details.

All the governments and officialdom are the same here. They haven't twigged outsiders no longer buy into the bullshit, smoke and mirrors, excuses, claims of misunderstanding or the outright lies. Just because they bury their heads in the sand and hope the problem goes away, or that people will stop asking at least, they think everyone else does.

In for a rude awakening - and more than time.

"Your human trafficing situation is worse than ours naa naa na naa naa". Grow up man, you're basically saying that the situation in the US more or less cancels out Thailands offence, so because (alledgedly) it happens there then it's ok to continue it here. Just out of interest, are you a junta supporter?

Low information poster. Thanks for your contribution. I'm actually surprised it took 15 posts on the thread to reach this level of predictable childish response.

It is a great misunderstanding. They misunderstand how much lower our profit margins would be if we paid a fair wage to our employees, rather than using kidnapped slaves, who work for free. We like higher profit margins. It is apparent to the world we will do anything possible to maintain them. Even if it includes oppressing our fellow man. They misunderstand our desire for more money.