Another Windows 10 install story (good).

NeverSure

First, there is a stop screen in the string of setup junk where it suggests defaults and at the bottom is a small "advanced" button. In "advanced" there is (to me) a horror of things one would be giving Microsoft permission to do including following browsing habits. Read them. There is a box for each to deny permission. I would look carefully for that and not just go happily past it. I wasn't happy.

I had hidden the update and therefore didn't have 10 downloaded. I had to go back into updates to get it. It took it less than 10 minutes to download and that only because MS must have the servers throttled. I'm in the US on the main IBM trunk line from MS and should have had it quicker. No biggie.

It took it 35 minutes to install. I suspect the Samsung 850 SSD may have helped here.

Everything worked great including Outlook, Pib. No problems. (Outlook 2010 using pop3 and imap.)

My only complaint is that I had a heck of a time getting rid of that new browser including making Chrome default again. I wound up making an image of my HDD AND backing up the registry and then spending about 30 minutes editing the registry to get rid of that thing. Chrome didn't seem to be able to make itself default in that I'd do it and it wouldn't work. I successfully nuked it in the registry. That's my only complaint so far.

I like the interface - everything. Like Pib, I find it to be faster.

---------------------

I first cloned my HDD to an external just in case. Then I detached it and began the install. Before and after I edited the registry I made image files of the HDD to actual files on an external, not cloned HDD's.

Everything went smoothly and kudos to the people at MS who pulled this off. What an undertaking.

Cheers.

Mine would do that, but it wouldn't stick. It kept coming back to Edge. See here:

"Unsurprisingly, Mozilla is not amused and its CEO Chris Beard today wrote an open letter to Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella to complain that the company is taking away its users’ choices and ignored Mozilla’s calls for keeping the default during the upgrade process."
"To once again make Chrome or Firefox your default, you have to open your browser of choice and go through a few steps to tell Windows 10 about your choice. You can’t just click “Use Firefox as my default browser” and that’s that. All that button will do is open up the Windows 10 default settings. For non-technical users, the procedure isn’t exactly self-explanatory."
Cheers.

>My only complaint is that I had a heck of a time getting rid of that new browser including making Chrome default again. I wound up making an image of my HDD AND backing up the registry and then spending about 30 minutes editing the registry to get rid of that thing. >Chrome didn't seem to be able to make itself default in that I'd do it and it wouldn't work. I successfully nuked it in the registry. That's my only complaint so far.

Ok, I don't use Chrome but FF as my default. After upgrade to Win10 the default was set to Edge without asking. I just went to Settings to change it back and that was all. Been FF ever since.

Neversure,

Glad your install went smooth. Regarding the permissions thing, yea I clicked that advance button during the install being the inquisitive type (and non-trusting sometimes of some software) and I think there were two screens worth of permissions you could turn off or on (most were initially on)...I turned a few off but not all because I thought if I turn too many off during the install then maybe the install might be affected negatively in some way (that was probably an unfounded fear)...plus the ones I left turned on seemed tame enough and very similar to permissions most Android apps have when you install an Android app on your smartphone/tablets/etc. I still haven't given all the permissions a good review after the Win 10 install...but a person can see them, read about them, turn them off as desired by clicking the Windows icon in the lower left hand corner of your screen and then selecting Settings, Privacy. Preaching to the choir I know but maybe some others have found the menu yet where you can turn permission on or off to satisfy a person's privacy desires/fears. If any of the permissions really affect a person's privacy I'm sure social media will scream bloody murder...I haven't heard in bloody murder screams yet...just some hollowing from some folks who seem to feel the NSA, CIA, FBI, Microsoft, space aliens, etc., is out to harm them.

Edge was also initially set as my default browser after the install, but I just went to Settings, System, Default Apps and changed it back to Chrome which I use as my primary browser...that setting stuck. And you may remember I thought my IE11 had been removed during the install process because it's icon I had pinned in the task bar was gone and I couldn't find it listed in All Apps/Programs menu...but later I did find it...it hadn't been removed...and I pinned it back on my task bar. I use IE11 as my secondary browser since some sites work better with it and sometimes some sites recommend/require its use like the new online 90 day address reporting (although you can use Chrome/Firefox with an add-in to use the site), my password manager works a little better with IE, and sometimes you just need to use another browser if your primary browser is acting up.

I haven't played more than two minutes with Edge so far...too busy in reviewing Win 10 menu structures...but during that two minutes of playing I noticed websites pulled up fast. And as I play with the Win 10 menus more and find out were some settings have now moved to or been changed a little I'm getting very comfortable with Win 10. I know when I went from Win 7 to Win 8.1 it took me several weeks to a month to get fairly comfortable with the way it worked...I never tried Win 8.0 because of all the hate mail...I waited until Win 8.1 came out and fixed a lot of the issues/hate mail regarding Win 8.0. I'm glad I'm now off Win 8.1...but I will have to say it was super sable and fast on my machine.

I'm now entering day 4 of being on Win 10...I'm still surprised my Reserved copy got downloaded to my machine during the first few hours of Win 10's release because I was not one of the Insiders, Technical Review type folks who have been testing Win 10 technical review/beta releases...and those folks were suppose to get the release first although it appears the last beta version they got was the RTM version released to the masses...so in a round about way they had it before it was officially released to the masses.

The only issue I had with Win 10 was the Outlook "send" issue in outgoing email getting stuck in the outbox, but that online chat session with MS Answer Desk where they took remote control of my computer and run a "sfc /scannow" command to fix some corrupted files (probably Outlook files) that fixed the Outlook issue...Outlook been working fine since.

And yea, Win 10 is faster than Win 8.1...probably faster than Win 7 also but I never had Win 7 on the machine I loaded Win 10 on so I can't say for sure from personal experience. I also expect Win 10 will get even better as MS tweaks it over the coming near term as I'm sure they'll get plenty of feedback from the millions of folks switching to it daily.

Win 10 will for all practical purposes will relegate Win 8.X and Win 7 to versions which had day, will greatly decrease the number of Win 8.X and Win 7 users...especially Win 8.X users....a good number of Win 7 will still be around for a while though for various reasons like in my case where I have two other laptops (8 year Toshiba laptops) that Win 10 is not compatible with due to their legacy GPUs...those laptops will go to their grave with Win 7 on them which is still supported to early 2020.

PIb

P.S. I'm sure my Samsung 840EVO SSD was a big factor in Win 10 installing in only 24 minutes....a SSD can sure supercharge a computer...even an old computer.

OK, just spent 10 minutes reviewing the privacy settings...turned a bunch off...hopefully that won't cause some apps not to work properly and if the apps "must" have some permission turned on then hopefully it will be obvious or I will get a pop-up saying a certain permission needs to be turned on. NSA, CIA, FBI, or space aliens will have a harder time finding me now...but I'm sure Microsoft will find me even if I turn off all settings plus kill all power to my house. tongue.png

Pib: "Edge was also initially set as my default browser after the install, but I just went to Settings, System, Default Apps and changed it back to Chrome which I use as my primary browser...that setting stuck."

For some reason that didn't work for me. No google advice would work and I wasn't ready to change so I nuked it in the registry. I have an image of the drive as it was before I didn't that so I could revert and install backups if needed. Perhaps there is a way to download and install Edge too but I'm not going to "yet".

Cheers

Archived