International Drivers Licence- available for foreigners?

kbirkins

I live in Bangkok and planning a trip to Japan. While there I will want to rent a car.

Most of the online advisories indicate that an international drivers licence is needed for a rental in Japan. I have valid US and Thai drivers licences and if I were in the States getting the international drivers licence simply requires a trip to a local Automobile Association of America (AAA) office. Does anyone (ex-pat) have experience getting this type of licence? If so, where?

Thanks in advance..

You can get an international driving permit if you have a Thai five year driving license, but not if you only have a one year license. The DP is only issued at the Department of Land Transport (the same place you got your driving license and renew your road tax).

Sophon

I have a Thai license, for over 15 years continuous now, went to the Transport place at Chatuchuk, got a Thai International License in about 10 minutes.

I use mine in Australia where I am visiting family at the moment

Note it seems to close early, I think 3.30pm?

I have a Thai license, for over 15 years continuous now, went to the Transport place at Chatuchuk, got a Thai International License in about 10 minutes.

Documents required?

Documents required?

Getting an international driving licence in Bangkok

Go to the Department of Land Transport at Mo Chit, next to the Civil Aviation Training Center, in between Mo Chit and Saphan Kwai BTS stations, a 10-minute walk from either station.

Take the following:

- two 2-inch photos

- photocopy of your Thai drivers license, signed

- photocopy of your passport, signed

- photocopy of your work permit, signed, or an Affidavit of Residence

[Photo taking services and photocopying services are available at the place, but if you haven't prepared a photo it may slow you down as you need to wait for it to be developed.]

Bring along an Affidavit of Residence which can be got from your embassy, or your work permit may suffice depending on the official dealing with your case that day.

Go to Building 4, 2nd floor. The buildings are numbered in large Thai numbers; look for .

Queue up at the information counter and let the official check your documents are complete and in order. You will be given a queue number and redirected to another counter to wait.

Once your number is called, you submit all your documents and pay the 505 baht fee. No separate application form is required. If it’s not busy you will receive the license (booket) within 5 minutes.

On the way in, motorcycle taxi touts may tell you that you need a health checkup from a doctor. For an international license, the check-up is not necessary, so ignore them.

02 272 3618

Read more: How to get an international drivers license in Bangkok - Karn G. Bulsuk:

http://www.bulsuk.com/2013/01/how-to-get-international-drivers.html#ixzz3W7wDJBQU

Documents required?

1.You need two passport size photos, they do not take them like when you get your Thai Drivers License.

2. Copy of Passport

3. Copy of Thai Drivers License

4. Certificate of Residence ( I do not have a work permit, I am not sure if the would suffice as a Certificate of Residence or not) I got mine at Immigration and it took around 10 days to be mailed to me and I think it cost 300 baht.

5, I think I paid 505 baht for International License

6. The International License is valid for 1 year. I got mine at Bangkok Area 3 on Sukhumvit Soi 62/1

Could be that if you're over 75, you might need a medical certificate.

I read that this was necessary in Thailand, and as the same rule applies in Aussie, I have a copy of this if ever requested.

I've got a 5 year Thai licence.

How long is the Thai International licence valid for?

I looked into buying one of these 10 year jobs on the internet, but concluded (rightly or wrongly) that they are not legal documents.

I don't know for certain, so please don't flame me......

I got an international drivers licence here a few months ago for exactly the same reason, in Japan you will need an international drivers licence before you can rent a car.

I got mine easy enough in Chiang Mai, applied on a Monday, collected licence on a Wednesday.

But, you gave to have a 5 year Thai licence.

An International Driving Permit (IDP) for holders of US driving licenses are available only through two Automobile Associations in USA authorized by the US State Department. For holders of Thai driving licenses, as mentioned by other posters it is obtained from your Land Transport Office - not all LTOs issue them, e.g., Banglamung LTO (Pattaya) does not issue them - Chonburi LTO does. The following is from the Federal Trade Commission and includes a warning about scams: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0050-international-drivers-license-scams

International Driving Permits 101

An international driving permit (IDP) – sometimes incorrectly called an international drivers license (IDL) — translates your state-issued driver’s license so you can show it to officials in foreign countries to help them interpret your driver’s license. An official IDP is a gray, multi-page booklet with “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA” printed at the top of the cover, and the seal of either the American Automobile Association (AAA) or the American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA) in the middle of the cover. An IDP is not proof of identity.

AAA and AATA are the only organizations authorized by the U.S. Department of State to issue IDPs to U.S. residents. Both AAA and AATA charge less than $20 for an IDP. If you’re asked to pay more, consider it a rip-off.

IDP Scams

Individuals or companies not authorized to issue IDPs sell fakes on websites, through unsolicited email, and in person for prices ranging from $60 to $400.

If you buy a fake IDP, not only will you be paying for a worthless document, but you also could face legal problems or travel delays if you’re detained for using it to drive in a foreign country.

I've got a 5 year Thai licence.

How long is the Thai International licence valid for?

I looked into buying one of these 10 year jobs on the internet, but concluded (rightly or wrongly) that they are not legal documents.

I don't know for certain, so please don't flame me......

You are correct they are not legal documents, they only entitle you to a fine ;) or jail ;) time if used to drive in a country where you do not have another valid license. ;)

There is no "Thai International driving licence" there is no "International driving licence"

There is a Thai International Driving Permit it is valid for 1 year.

Most IDPs are valid for 1 year, I have heard that the French IDP is valid for three years.

You need to carry both your IDP and driving license as the IDP is really a multi language translation and only accompanies the licence it does not replace it.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

I live in Bangkok and planning a trip to Japan. While there I will want to rent a car.

Why do you think you need a car?

The Japanese transport system is extremely good.

Parking in most places is not easy or cheap, Japanese road signposting is not easy if you don't read kanji, the road numbering system is creative ( there are at least 3 route 17s in one area and some of then just stop), the expressways are very expensive and if you don't use them the roads are narrow and crowded.

The drink drive law is interesting, in that the passengers also get fined if they have a license, and the limit is virtually zero. A typical fine is ¥300,000 or 84,000 baht for the driver and ¥200,000 or 56,000 baht for each passenger

Unless you intend to rent a car in Hokkaido my advice is probably don't.

Edited by sometimewoodworker