Demolition of 60 Sukhumvit beer bars: Chuwit's fate known today

webfact

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In some way, I admire this guy, he certainly is not squeaky clean, but he 's got a bigger pair than some of the current leaders and as the case shows, he gets things done.Plus he has a little book locked away, I surmise, with a few well known names in it.

Anyway, he can well afford to buy his way out of his troubles.

yes I too, but you can't have someone like him as PM

However, he would (in a real democracy) make a good opposition leader...

I use to go there regularly before I moved to Thailand. Each time when I came back for me it was really uplifting to see the changes people had made to their places even in a short amount of time. Always improving including the time when they grouped together to put wooden walkways in so when it rained you wouldn't get your feet soaked. And I see some people here like the guy?! He destroyed countless numbers of people's dreams and jobs. Squatters? And you think they could keep building there and getting electrical for years if they were there illegally, come on. That guy is a total piece of chit and I hope they lock him away for a very long time!

Seems we are only hearing half the story here.

why did he arrange for the demolition?

What is at the site now?

IMG_6134-chuvit-garden.jpg

What is at the site now?

Nothing.

There is a small park there now as Kotsak in post #13 shows with his photo.

The Missionaries don't care how much local culture gets destroyed, as long as they can wave Jesus in your face.

In some way, I admire this guy, he certainly is not squeaky clean, but he 's got a bigger pair than some of the current leaders and as the case shows, he gets things done.Plus he has a little book locked away, I surmise, with a few well known names in it.

Anyway, he can well afford to buy his way out of his troubles.

He is far LESS than squeaky clean, he's a crook, and yeah, he gets things done, like sending in a bunch of thugs to smash people's businesses.

I saw him speak once at the FCCT, and he was very funny, in partly unintentional way, a self-parody, kind of like Donald Trump.

Oh yeah, he seems to be one of those born again christians or something, his park (where he smashed up peoples property) is dedicated to "the Lord Jesus Christ". What a joke.

I congratulate Khun Chuwit on ridding Sukhumvit Road of this sleazy area of run down beer bars and prostitute pick up dens. It has got rid of the many drunken perverts who used to frequent the area, and given us a restful quiet park to stroll, or sit and read the paper each day.

I gather Khun Chuwit has provided this park on his land and at his expense. He is to be thanked.

If you could take your tongue out of 'Khun Chuwit's' botty for a while, maybe you would like to be made aware in your seemingly staggering ignorance that 'Khun Chuwit' is responsible for far more 'sleazy areas' and 'drunken perverts' in the city than Soi 10 ever was....anyway. Lesson over, enjoy your Daily Mail in the park.

I bow to your superior knowlege of the disgusting brothel bars in our city. At least you still have plenty of choice to persue your predilictions. Actually I prefer The Gaurdian for my news.

Now, if you could just learn to spell "Guardian", your stock as a commentator might even go up...

Puritan go home.

May his fate be that any business and venture he ever starts, owns or part owns will fail completely and cost Chuwit dearly until he runs out of money for good and eventually shoots himself in the head. He shall survive that incident and be a comatose vegetable for the rest of his miserable life, being a financial and social burden for his family. Think that would be an equal fate for a person who takes pride in destroying other peoples' livelyhoods.

I congratulate Khun Chuwit on ridding Sukhumvit Road of this sleazy area of run down beer bars and prostitute pick up dens. It has got rid of the many drunken perverts who used to frequent the area, and given us a restful quiet park to stroll, or sit and read the paper each day.

I gather Khun Chuwit has provided this park on his land and at his expense. He is to be thanked.

If you could take your tongue out of 'Khun Chuwit's' botty for a while, maybe you would like to be made aware in your seemingly staggering ignorance that 'Khun Chuwit' is responsible for far more 'sleazy areas' and 'drunken perverts' in the city than Soi 10 ever was....anyway. Lesson over, enjoy your Daily Mail in the park.

I bow to your superior knowlege of the disgusting brothel bars in our city. At least you still have plenty of choice to persue your predilictions. Actually I prefer The Gaurdian for my news.

It's common knowledge and a matter of fact that Chuwit owns one of the largest massage parlour empires in Bangkok and has done so for many many years.

Chuwit sold his massage empire just before entering politics. That was probably around 2003/2004.

@Fat Haggis: "A guy wants his land back that belongs to him, he's told to F-off, he serves notice, notice is ignored, by people who set their live up there, he sends in bulldozers and gets his land back."

He was convicted of trespassing (and damage to other people's property and illegal detention). Why do you imagine this was?

Because it's a prime piece of real estate that someone wants to get their hands on?

What is at the site now?

No, this is the entire story. He was the owner, but the way he destroyed the property and lives of these business owners was heinous. The site is now Chuwit Park...named for the perpetrator himself.

FYI...not that i'm at all against sleazy venues, nor massage parlors, but the man you congratulate for being so upstanding was at the time, the biggest massage parlor owner in all of BKK. From your derisive and disapproving post, one can only assume that you do not approve of these kinds of places either. Perhaps you would approve of them being unlwfully razed too?1zgarz5.gif

Edited by Skeptic7

Perhaps I am missing something, but why would anyone appeal against an acquittal?

Appealing against a guilty verdict I can understand - but an acquittal??

Edited by Mudcrab

UPDATE:

Chuwit ready for the worst over 2003 bar raid
KESINEE TANGKHIEO
THE NATION

30266560-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- AS THE Supreme Court was set to rule on the case of a notorious raid in which roadside beer bars were razed in downtown Bangkok in January 2003, former MP Chuwit Kamolvisit showed up yesterday outside the Southern Bangkok Criminal Court carrying a plastic bowl with toiletries.

This gesture wasn't meant as a mockery, because he was prepared for the worst - even being jailed, the Rak Thailand Party leader said.

However, the Supreme Court postponed delivering its verdict to October 15 on grounds that only 39 defendants were present.

Four defendants, including Major Thanyathep Thammathorn, a former military officer at the 11th Infantry Battalion, did not provide sound reasons for not showing up, so the court issued arrest warrants for them.

The Court of Appeals had sentenced Chuwit and 65 accomplices to five years in jail over the pre-dawn raid, in which dozens of men using backhoes forced bar owners out of the 10-rai (1.6-hectare) "Sukhumvit Square" on Sukhumvit Soi 10.

At the time of the raid, Chuwit was a massage-parlour tycoon and an executive at Sukhumvit Silver Star.

The Court of Appeals upheld the lower court's ruling to acquit the 64 other defendants.

Initially, the Criminal Court acquitted most defendants in the case, including Chuwit, Lt-Colonel Himalai Phiewphan, who was a military officer attached to the Armed Forces Development in 2003, and Thanyathep in 2006. Only a lawyer, Chanwet Malaibucha, was given an eight-month jail term.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Chuwit-ready-for-the-worst-over-2003-bar-raid-30266560.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-14

Why, in mentioning this atrocity, does everyone only talk about beer bars? This was a thriving tourism centre of craft shops with artisans working right on the spot (and who lost everything to this hideous creature). There were clothing shops, salons, gift shops and so on. Chuwot's actions on that night were those of a total scumbag. Yet many of you readers love him!!! Why? He was a pimp, a tout, an acknowledged briber of police and is, by this action, clearly not a man of the people.

The evicted get no compensation, and what happened to the land afterwards?

I am amazed that in Thailand, how often criminals get a pass and their lawyers go to jail. Seem a complete reversal of the way things work elsewhere.

Yeaaaaaaaa how often is Thailand's "way" ass backwards from the rest of the (civilized) world?

Why, in mentioning this atrocity, does everyone only talk about beer bars? This was a thriving tourism centre of craft shops with artisans working right on the spot (and who lost everything to this hideous creature). There were clothing shops, salons, gift shops and so on. Chuwot's actions on that night were those of a total scumbag. Yet many of you readers love him!!! Why? He was a pimp, a tout, an acknowledged briber of police and is, by this action, clearly not a man of the people.

The 'evicted' were compensated by Chuwit - also amongst other mis-information posted - there were not '60 beer bars', maybe 60 vendors ..probably about 6 beer bars.

Chuwit is the owner of several 5 star hotels and sold his massage parlours to a 'uniformed' person years ago to enter politics

Perhaps I am missing something, but why would anyone appeal against an acquittal?

Appealing against a guilty verdict I can understand - but an acquittal??

"Chanwet, prosecutors and co-plaintiffs appealed against the 2006 verdict."

That's Chuwit's lawyer who was found guilty, the prosecution, and the bar/shop owners.

my TROLL alert has gone sky high reading this load of driveling <deleted>

It's common knowledge and a matter of fact that Chuwit owns one of the largest massage parlour empires in Bangkok and has done so for many many years.

Chuwit sold his massage empire just before entering politics. That was probably around 2003/2004.

sold them to his wife and family? same as Herr Thaksin???

The 'evicted' were compensated by Chuwit - also amongst other mis-information posted - there were not '60 beer bars', maybe 60 vendors ..probably about 6 beer bars.

Chuwit is the owner of several 5 star hotels and sold his massage parlours to a 'uniformed' person years ago to enter politics

And the site is now a park - one of the few green spaces in the Sukhumvit area. The details of what happened and why are interesting. Chuwit had leased the area to another company - which then granted a series of sub-leases which ran way past the termination date of the master lease. When the latter expired, Chuwit wanted his land back - not unreasonably. The lessor refused - and stopped paying rent. Legal cases ensued but kept being adjourned. So 'someone' decided on action.

And I lost all my laundry :-(

Was this the one where he made a night time mission to demolish shops on his land set up by squatters that had no right to be there and refused to leave?

and as the post indicates incorectly, there were not 60 beer bars there, I'd reckon around 35, most owned (invested) by Fahlung - who were seen day after day after the demolition sitting on the road holding signs they couldn't even read - I know, I asked one what it said, his heavy Germanic accent said he didn't know, but were protesting. I knew three of the owners (unnamed) They started springing up in 2000, on a piece of properry that was being contested in court by the Massage Parlor King, he owned it, but someone else was leasing it with/witout his knowledge.thumbsup.gif

The guilty parties wentto prison for defying a court order ,not to demolish he place until the courts settled it - you can betcha bottom baht they would still be open today as it dragged thru the courts.

I'd like to see them do this to Nana Plaza, I'd park outside daily to watch,,,,,,,,,,nothing against beer /go-go bars, just need some entertanment. Hasn't Nana ppty been contested in court for over ten years by the Landmnark Hotel, who claims the ppty as well??? thumbsup.gif

there were not 60 beer bars there, I'd reckon around 35, most owned (invested) by Fahlung who were seen day after day after the demolition sitting on the road holding signs they couldn't even read

What, pray, is a 'Fahlung'? You have the nerve to attack the Thai skills of others in your troll post above....cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I'd like to see them do this to Nana Plaza, I'd park outside daily to watch

Thankfully what you'd like anyone to do is of utterly zero importance to anyone in Thailand bar in your own inflated ego....

Edited by MrBrilliant

May his fate be that any business and venture he ever starts, owns or part owns will fail completely and cost Chuwit dearly until he runs out of money for good and eventually shoots himself in the head. He shall survive that incident and be a comatose vegetable for the rest of his miserable life, being a financial and social burden for his family. Think that would be an equal fate for a person who takes pride in destroying other peoples' livelyhoods.

I would just like to see him lose his little black book with all the names and addresses in it that he controls Thailand with...................wink.png

No need for anyone else to suffer.

Somehow that doesn't surprise me! ☺

A massage tycoon is a great job description to go to prison with. I am sure the other prison inmates can not wait to get to get a great massage from the man who tore down there favorite watering holes.