VPNs Recognised & Blocked by BBC ?

crazydrummerpauly

Hi. I'm bound to say at least one dumb thing here as i am not 'net-savvy. Apologies in advance. I'm baffled about what's happening when i try to access various BBC programs via a HideMyAss vpn (pro) connection. On the one hand LIVE progs have been viewable at times, but (to me) strangely, every attempt to listen to Radio commentaries - especially Radio 4 long wave Test Match Special - is being blocked with the usual 'Rights Restricted' vocal warning. So is it the case that the BBC Radio simply knows all the HMA server IP addresses and blocks them ? (I'm in Isaan using various UK-based HMA servers.)

• 4 weeks later...

Have Kodi downloaded on my PC + Laptop + TV Adriod box, so can listen to all BBC Radio and of course TV.. no need to use a VPN + all totally free.

it is so simple to install 'Kodi' + 100's of addons you may like........ sure make life simple these days, one place/program = everything you will ever need

Edited by ignis

Have Kodi downloaded on my PC + Laptop + TV Adriod box, so can listen to all BBC Radio and of course TV.. no need to use a VPN + all totally free.

it is so simple to install 'Kodi' + 100's of addons you may like........ sure make live simple these days

It may be simple to install for you Ignis, but I could imagine some people struggling even though everything you need to know is on YouTube.

> (I'm in Isaan using various UK-based HMA servers.)

Generally you shouldn't need any VPN or DNS fix to listen to BBC Radio services on Internet as they are not restricted. TV does need a fix tho.

Sports radio programmes are the common exception to this rule. The BBC does not always have the rights to broadcast sports radio commentaries outside the UK, even when it is the BBC doing the commentary.

it is so simple to install 'Kodi' + 100's of addons you may like........ sure make live simple these days

It may be simple to install for you Ignis, but I could imagine some people struggling even though everything you need to know is on YouTube.

Like most things in life it is trial and error, 1st time was fine to install Kodi, but getting the addons was a pain, after hours and weeks of trying ended up printing many sheets of how to do.. then was easy to see what I was not doing..

the 2nd time onto PC was easy, as was the TV box [funny the Lady seller of the box said is very difficult to use Kodi + addons.. ] in fact just installed Kodi on that TV box as it is Android and not Windows, and downloaded all the stuff I wanted to a 1 GB USB stick on my PC, plugged it in to the TV box and then run it on the USB

Like most things in life it is trial and error, 1st time was fine to install Kodi, but getting the addons was a pain, after hours and weeks of trying ended up printing many sheets of how to do.. then was easy to see what I was not doing..

the 2nd time onto PC was easy, as was the TV box [funny the Lady seller of the box said is very difficult to use Kodi + addons.. ] in fact just installed Kodi on that TV box as it is Android and not Windows, and downloaded all the stuff I wanted to a 1 GB USB stick on my PC, plugged it in to the TV box and then run it on the USB

Getting kodi configered took me 3 days on and off, but now its a piece of cake, but its an excellent app and well worth the effort.

it is so simple to install 'Kodi' + 100's of addons you may like........ sure make life simple these days, one place/program = everything you will ever need

What Kodi addon are you using to watch BBC iPlayer play on demand services?

I use MIke1234 ver 0.1.0 BBC iPlayer and it will only allow some streams at lower bandwidth 480kbps with a DNS fix? Otherwise the high bandwidth 3200kbps feeds stream OK without VPN if one has a high enough speed ISP.

I use MIke1234 ver 0.1.0 BBC iPlayer and it will only allow some streams at lower bandwidth 480kbps with a DNS fix? Otherwise the high bandwidth 3200kbps feeds stream OK without VPN if one has a high enough speed ISP.

There are a few but myself found the best for me is Phoenix Live, then go to UK TV........... Homes under the Hammer is on BBC 1 at this moment..

For Radio click on Music- Files- Radio then Browse by Country, click GB up come loads + all the BBC ones

just 1 of the 100's of sites to give a bit of reading http://beebom.com/2015/05/best-live-tv-addons-for-kodi-xbmc

Edited by ignis

Just use the free VPN service from Hola. You can use it in both PC browsers and tablets. I watch BBC almost daily and it works most of the time as long as your internet speed is fast enough.

There are a few but myself found the best for me is Phoenix Live, then go to UK TV........... Homes under the Hammer is on BBC 1 at this moment..

For Radio click on Music- Files- Radio then Browse by Country, click GB up come loads + all the BBC ones

just 1 of the 100's of sites to give a bit of reading http://beebom.com/2015/05/best-live-tv-addons-for-kodi-xbmc

Ok thanks. Yes I've already used Phoenix and still have it. Occasionally the live sports feeds are working on Phoenix. I was actually thinking more of play on demand programming rather than live TV feeds. With Kodi addon BBC iPlayer I mentioned, you can watch any BBC program on demand from past 7 days or more. But I find the addon only works on lower connect speeds when VPN/DNS fix is applied and the addon in advertised as only working in UK but even without DNS fix it works in Thailand but only on 3200kbps stream making it buffer for many users.

To OP, it could be that you need to clear your cashe and cookies more often, most use CCleaner as a simple wipe.

Good test is to go to UK lottery site, even if you are not registered click log in, it will soon tell you if your VPN is any good, a message will come up saying they believe your outside the UK

> (I'm in Isaan using various UK-based HMA servers.)

Generally you shouldn't need any VPN or DNS fix to listen to BBC Radio services on Internet as they are not restricted. TV does need a fix tho.

BBC radio wouldn't work for me previously without Zenmate turned on to London IP address.