Golden Bar - Nana Hotel Closing

luap

That doesn't sound like any plan to demolish the hotel...

The OP didn't indicate that it would be demolished. Speculation that it would become a Hard Rock hotel. This wouldn't be out of the question as Bangkok only has a Cafe at the moment, Pattaya and several of the Asian cities already have hotels.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot of nostalgia about the place. When I first came to Thailand the best bars were on Petchaburi Road and most of the hotel action was at the Florida Hotel. Patpong had a few bars and neither Nana Plaza or Soi Cowboy existed. The best place for late night activities was the Thai Heaven and an after hours place called the Scandinavian. There were a few decent ones on Sukhumvit such as Rosemary and The Dino. It would not surprise me if Nana Plaza was bought up and turned into a mall but before that happens a spot will be found for relocation of the place. Part of Bangkok's history is nightlife and entertainment. I hardly go there anymore but every now and then a trip back brings back some fun memories. I once walked into a bar in Nana Plaza a few years back and an older lady called out my name and when we got to talking . I realized the last time I saw her was over 30 years ago and she still remembered me. That's one of the fun things about Bangkok.You never know who you are gong to meet.

• 2 weeks later...

I for one will miss the Golden Bar.

Was in Soi 4 last night and just couldn't bring myself to go into any of the other bars in the street.

Ended up in the Australian Bar in Soi 11 to drown my sorrows, only to be "fleeced" of 140 Baht a small bottle of beer.

So it looks like a "Hooters" will replace the Golden Bar ....... coming soon.

I guess it could have been worse, might have been a McDonald's or KFC bah.gif

post-11518-0-76532900-1445424244_thumb.j

There is a lot of nostalgia about the place. When I first came to Thailand the best bars were on Petchaburi Road and most of the hotel action was at the Florida Hotel. Patpong had a few bars and neither Nana Plaza or Soi Cowboy existed. The best place for late night activities was the Thai Heaven and an after hours place called the Scandinavian. There were a few decent ones on Sukhumvit such as Rosemary and The Dino. It would not surprise me if Nana Plaza was bought up and turned into a mall but before that happens a spot will be found for relocation of the place. Part of Bangkok's history is nightlife and entertainment. I hardly go there anymore but every now and then a trip back brings back some fun memories. I once walked into a bar in Nana Plaza a few years back and an older lady called out my name and when we got to talking . I realized the last time I saw her was over 30 years ago and she still remembered me. That's one of the fun things about Bangkok.You never know who you are gong to meet.

You should try "The Old Office" at Patpong. It has been there with the same decoration since the Vietnam war.

I for one will miss the Golden Bar.

Was in Soi 4 last night and just couldn't bring myself to go into any of the other bars in the street.

Ended up in the Australian Bar in Soi 11 to drown my sorrows, only to be "fleeced" of 140 Baht a small bottle of beer.

So it looks like a "Hooters" will replace the Golden Bar ....... coming soon.

I guess it could have been worse, might have been a McDonald's or KFC bah.gif

You can get 60 baht beer at one of the pool bars at soi 13. Kind of an all day happy hour.

• 7 months later...

He couldn't find a fact up his backside....imho of course.

Love it...., don't hold back..., tell him what you really think ! laugh.png

wow you're up-to-date, commenting on a post 10 months old

I have been in the area for a week now and Hooters Soi 4 certainly does not appear to be very busy. Even on a rainy night when everybody ducks for cover it looked rather empty. Younger aged (30's) guys siting at the rail smoking cigars and staring at the parking lot ladies like they were zoo animals is about it.

When I stroll that way I divert up Soi 15 just to browse the other Hooters outlet. Seems awfully slow also maybe all they accomplished was splitting the limited market for their concept.

SL

I would hazard a guess the takings were considerable more when it was the golden bar than what they are now.

More often than not all seats were taken , now , well always looks empty the times ive been in the soi since they opened.

Edited by The Big Mango

I've never understood the logic or sense of having a Hooters on Suk Soi 15 and then another a short distance away on Suk Soi 4...

Especially when the Soi 4 branch opened only shortly after the Soi 15 branch, the first in Bangkok, before they even had a chance to test the market response here.

I believe they're both franchise operations, but I don't know if under the same ownership or not.

I asked a manager at Soi 15 once about it, and he said they're aiming a different customer markets... Soi 4 the Nana hounds, and Soi 15 the couples, business guys, etc.

Both branches had been participating until recently in the Eatigo discounts program. But just recently, both seem to have dropped out of that.

On the times I've been in the Soi 15 branch, they've been doing a decent business.. but just decent. Although maybe that's good for the tourist market in Bangkok these days.

Elsewhere, I've never yet frequented the Nana branch, so I can't speak to that.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

yes.. took my wife there for lunch and she enjoyed it. The U.S.-type food at Soi 15 isn't bad...and was even better at 50% off.

On the times I've been there, during the daytime, there have been various couples eating there, just as any restaurant.

It's not like the Hooters girls are half naked, dancing around chrome poles and mooching lady drinks and bar fines. On the contrary, they're just waitresses in cute uniforms.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

well,

wouldn't really call the uniforms cute

anyway, even though I miss Golden I quite enjoy the new Hooters in soi 4

large, comfortable, different forms of seating, airy, pleasant with light colours

and they can do OK Dry Martinis

Every time I sit on one of Golden's stools, I think to myself: "There are 10,000 guys around the world at this moment wishing they were sitting right here."

You must be referring to inmates in prisons or the like, surely?

i like to wash my hands when i leave, esp if i have touched the underside of the bar or railing with my hand