Thai police find bomb materials in 2nd Bangkok apartment

webfact

Thai police find bomb materials in 2nd apartment
NATTASUDA ANUSONDISAI, Associated Press
JOCELYN GECKER, Associated Press

BANGKOK (AP) — Thai police said Monday they discovered bomb-making materials during a raid of a second apartment on the outskirts of the capital, as authorities widened their search for suspects behind Bangkok's deadly bombing.

National police chief Prawuth Thavornsiri said that police found fertilizer, gun powder, digital clocks and remote-controlled cars whose parts can be used for detonation, among other items, during a raid over the weekend at an apartment in Bangkok's Min Buri district.

"These are bomb-making materials," Prawuth said. "Nobody would keep urea fertilizer and gunpowder unless they wanted to make a bomb."

Min Buri is near the neighborhood where police on Saturday arrested an unnamed foreigner and seized a trove of bomb-making equipment that included detonators, ball bearings and a metal pipe they believe was intended to hold a bomb.

Prawuth said police were looking to issue three or four more arrest warrants but declined to give more details.

Saturday's arrest was the first possible breakthrough in the investigation into the Aug. 17 blast at the Erawan Shrine, which killed 20 people, more than half of whom were foreigners, and injured more than 120 others.

Much remains unknown about the suspect, including his nationality, his motive, his relationship to the alleged bombing network or if he was plotting an attack, Prawuth said, adding that another attack was "possible" because police found 10 detonators.

"We still have to work out the details," he said. "But we are very certain he's part of the network" that carried out the bombing.

On Sunday, Prawuth said that that the interrogation was proceeding slowly.

"He is not cooperating much. From our preliminary investigation, we think he isn't telling us the truth," Prawuth said, declining to elaborate. "He told us how he entered Thailand but we don't believe everything he says."

He said police were working with "a number of embassies" and interpreters to try to establish the man's nationality, adding that he did not speak Thai but spoke some English.

Authorities have dodged questions about whether the suspect is believed to be Turkish, saying that he was traveling on a fake passport. Images circulated online after his arrest of a fake Turkish passport with the apparent suspect's picture.

"We don't know if he is Turkish or not," Prawuth said Saturday.

The Turkish Embassy in Bangkok could not immediately be reached for comment. A Turkish government spokesman contacted over the weekend in Istanbul said he had no information on the suspect or any possible Turkish link to the attack.

The blast at the Erawan Shrine was unprecedented in the Thai capital, where smaller bombs have been employed in domestic political violence over the past decade, but not in an effort to cause large-scale casualties.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-31

"we are very certain he's part of the network" ......so they're really not sure!............

If they're digging a hole, they need to be careful......there's egg at the bottom!!

ts time for the RTP bashers to take a break .( or else its you that may end up with egg on your face ) .Lets wait and see what transpires.Its looking promising that they have found at least one of the group.

There will be many 10 year olds told to hide their toyboxes out of site for fear of being accused as the bombers associates.

The investigators may need help but definately dont need any help in making themselves look like the fools we know they are.

Edited by Reigntax

"we are very certain he's part of the network" ......so they're really not sure!............

If they're digging a hole, they need to be careful......there's egg at the bottom!!

ts time for the RTP bashers to take a break .( or else its you that may end up with egg on your face ) .Lets wait and see what transpires.Its looking promising that they have found at least one of the group.

Don't fret anto......I really hope they are going about it properly and that they do catch the guilty....but, they continue to leave themselves open to criticism.

No, so far they have found a person who maybe involved in passport forgery and who like all people has items that are powered by batteries

From the picture I saw online there is something more than anfo fertilizer bomb making going on. The chopping up of the detonation cord into little pieces and capping the PETN inside at the ends, little pigtails, is not to produce a detonation of a bomb, its to produce the bomb. A bomb of fertilizer is a very different animal than a monster of det cord comprising the bomb and not simply part of the explosive train- high explosive. While the det cord is sufficient to detonate TNT (explosive train) as suspected in the Erawan blast, the cutting up of det cord into little pigtails is more likely designed to be the bomb itself- high order/explosives. (A fertilizer bomb of any effective end would hardly be as concealable).

I have said it before and will again, this is the work of bomb makers, not separatists or nationalists or locals who are pissed... and also made a bomb. Also, the international press meeting in Thailand in which the Jane's writer parroted the assertion this was grey wolves seems almost contrived. It was so flimsy at the time to be hardly meritorious. Thus, it was planted and true, or planted and not true. Either way, both roads then lead to NATO and in particular the US.

post-201392-0-15760200-1440997153_thumb.

No, so far they have found a person who maybe involved in passport forgery and who like all people has items that are powered by batteries

Now they paid themselves the Bt3 mill. reward.......still think we should give the RTP a break?

Why is it so hard to admit that the bomb making materials found make it very likely this is an involved party?

Yes, yes, yes,,,, because they've proven, time and time again,, they're so,, "un-corruptable",,,, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/852401-three-million-baht-cash-reward-paid/page-4

Edited by Adeeos

should it not be too difficult for the turkish embassy to make a proper statement that he is not turkish ? should it ?, tis strange that theurs still no any visible statements made by the turkish embassy on their website that he is nae turkish, so he really is!

Such as detonators................................coffee1.gif

Damn I love R/C cars too, have 4 of them in my pad, now I'm scared of keeping them in my apartment here, some girl I bring back might rat me out. BTW I'm Turkish

And fertilizer for your pot plants....and with the ball bearing balls you like to play and the gunpowder you have for the New Year celebration. some steel tubes as spare if the PVC tubes brake.

Everyone has that at home....

From the picture I saw online there is something more than anfo fertilizer bomb making going on. The chopping up of the detonation cord into little pieces and capping the PETN inside at the ends, little pigtails, is not to produce a detonation of a bomb, its to produce the bomb. A bomb of fertilizer is a very different animal than a monster of det cord comprising the bomb and not simply part of the explosive train- high explosive. While the det cord is sufficient to detonate TNT (explosive train) as suspected in the Erawan blast, the cutting up of det cord into little pigtails is more likely designed to be the bomb itself- high order/explosives. (A fertilizer bomb of any effective end would hardly be as concealable).

I have said it before and will again, this is the work of bomb makers, not separatists or nationalists or locals who are pissed... and also made a bomb. Also, the international press meeting in Thailand in which the Jane's writer parroted the assertion this was grey wolves seems almost contrived. It was so flimsy at the time to be hardly meritorious. Thus, it was planted and true, or planted and not true. Either way, both roads then lead to NATO and in particular the US.

Well with fertilizer.....you could come with a huge backpack (40 kg), look like the usual backpacker place it lets say in some eating place in a big supermarket when everyone eats. Eat a bit pretend to go to the toilet and let it explode 5 min later.

If I see a backpacker with huge backpack, ordering the cheapo fried rice and goes to the toilet...I wouldn't think anything.....

should it not be too difficult for the turkish embassy to make a proper statement that he is not turkish ? should it ?, tis strange that theurs still no any visible statements made by the turkish embassy on their website that he is nae turkish, so he really is!

That he has fake Turkish passports doesn't make him Turkish. But also it doesn't proof that he isn't.

If he doesn't speak how you can tell?

Damn I love R/C cars too, have 4 of them in my pad, now I'm scared of keeping them in my apartment here, some girl I bring back might rat me out. BTW I'm Turkish

And fertilizer for your pot plants....and with the ball bearing balls you like to play and the gunpowder you have for the New Year celebration. some steel tubes as spare if the PVC tubes brake.

Everyone has that at home....

I use soil and water for my plants, if that's not enough then so be it; I stop playing marbles when I was a kid so no need for a ball bearing to win the pot; New Year's both world and Chinese are far off and I never have left over fireworks; Pipes to replace broken pvc tubing sounds like work I hire out for 40 baht an hour. You in Thailand. What you think is normal will get you 5-10 here.

That he has fake Turkish passports doesn't make him Turkish. But also it doesn't proof that he isn't.

If he doesn't speak how you can tell?

if he spiks, would thay believe him ?

Well with fertilizer.....you could come with a huge backpack (40 kg), look like the usual backpacker place it lets say in some eating place in a big supermarket when everyone eats. Eat a bit pretend to go to the toilet and let it explode 5 min later.

If I see a backpacker with huge backpack, ordering the cheapo fried rice and goes to the toilet...I wouldn't think anything.....

Yes, you are correct of course. On one of the online places I saw a pic of what they suspect was the pipe bomb, and its comparisons to a previous one that apparently did not go off. I was struck by the size of it. The diameter was basically the size of a coffee saucer and its length maybe 12"

Absolutely spot on. It is rare here to find such erudite logic! One could link the West's continued (and on the face of it illogical) support for the self-exiled dictator right back up the chain to the US to these events. It's a theory, ok, but worth considering. Using non-Thais in the operation then makes a lot of sense because I think it would be quite easy for these people to recruit mules from, say Turkey, with the promise of cash or a place in heaven in order to do their dirty work - AND (more importantly) make it appear as if the whole evil event had some connection to events somewhat removed from the self-exiled person's realm (such as the Uyghurs). Given the massive influence that NATO/US interests can generate it would not be beyond them to plant diversionary stories in the media to deflect attention from the Thai political network. The US has been (or is) allegedly involved in sponsoring terrorism in the middle east. I would not be at all surprised if the roads do lead to NATO/USA (and off course the self-exiled one) as suggested by arjunadawn. (There are many journalists acting in a way that beggars belief: Jonathan Head of the BBC is a prime example. Buying journalists is probably the route taken by the NATO/US intelligence network in order to control the media. There is some suggestion that Head may well have been in the vicinity when the Shrine bomb exploded. Coincidence????)

Edited by ianf

Absolutely spot on. It is rare here to find such erudite logic! One could link the West's continued (and on the face of it illogical) support for the self-exiled dictator right back up the chain to the US to these events. It's a theory, ok, but worth considering. Using non-Thais in the operation then makes a lot of sense because I think it would be quite easy for these people to recruit mules from, say Turkey, with the promise of cash or a place in heaven in order to do their dirty work - AND (more importantly) make it appear as if the whole evil event had some connection to events somewhat removed from the self-exiled person's realm (such as the Uyghurs). Given the massive influence that NATO/US interests can generate it would not be beyond them to plant diversionary stories in the media to deflect attention from the Thai political network. The US has been (or is) allegedly involved in sponsoring terrorism in the middle east. I would not be at all surprised if the roads do lead to NATO/USA (and off course the self-exiled one) as suggested by arjunadawn. (There are many journalists acting in a way that beggars belief: Jonathan Head of the BBC is a prime example. Buying journalists is probably the route taken by the NATO/US intelligence network in order to control the media. There is some suggestion that Head may well have been in the vicinity when the Shrine bomb exploded. Coincidence????)

First thought: islamists or similar ilk and all the way down the list is Thai people doing this to Thai people.

It is just intuitive to me that this event was external and the lack of claimed responsibility suggests cutouts were used and the silence on responsibility is the statement!

It would actually be outrageous not to consider a state actor in this debacle. Insofar as the US/NATO have a known history of terrorist events as red flags to consolidate power (see operation Gladio and Northwoods to name two), such state actors simply should not be ruled out. The reasoning: The failure of the Arab Spring/Color Revolution on Thai soil and the repudiation of its proxies by the Thai people and the military. Thai people soundly rejected Western meddling under the color of "democracy." One might not like connecting the dots but only a fool would dismiss this out of hand. In fact, the most obvious dots to connect run through NATO/US operations in Turkey, including the fabricated protests at the Thai Embassy in Turkey. Couple this with Thailand thwarting the US's National Endowment for Democracy's support for the fictitious state of , East Turkestanthe expulsion of the Uyghers, and the perception that Thailand is drifting further into China's orbit and you have a break in the US's String of Pearls Theory in Asia.

When one even topically dissects the Gray Wolves connection they clearly arrive once more at both NATO/US and Operation Gladio actors; directly. Disclaimer: I trained for and with NATO assets in Europe in stay behind operations. SICTA- strategic intelligence collection and target analysis was the name given for stay behind operations, the genesis of the Gray Wolves, and the cadre from which Operation Gladio actors were pulled. With each passing day I am further convinced the above post is correct.