Drivers license no longer ok for ID?

A driving licence doesn't show one's immigration status, which, in the current hysteria over the bombing suspects, might account for the tightening up.

However a Thai Driving License does show your passport number.

True, but it does not show your visa status, DL is valid for 5 years during which time every one except the PR holders goes through the visa/passport renewals/ extensions, on the other hand a 13 digit ID number apears on the DLs of PR holders which can be verified online via RTP computers.

And a Thai driver's license may not even show a foreigner's passport number....for my first Thai DL it had my 13 digit Yellow Book number on it instead of my passport number....come renewal time they changed it to my passport number.

Plus, if you get a new passport during the validity period of the DL it will no longer match.

• Like 2

I have been told by the Pattaya Police Station "officer in charge" (Soi 9) that a laminated photocopy of main passport page and the current visa/extention at the back IS sufficient anywhere in Thailand, if accompamied by a Thai DL even better! That was last week though...

• Like 2

Im sure they back down if you write down their names... they need money but no trubble

for no risk offer to pay 100 above that you want their names... i think they will choose 100b

Well you would be wrong they would not back down.

The receipt already has the cops name on it. The cop did his job, all foreigners are suppose to have their passports on them at all times.

You start asking the cop his name to write it down is just going to make more problems for you. This is not the west.

• Like 1

A driving licence doesn't show one's immigration status, which, in the current hysteria over the bombing suspects, might account for the tightening up.

Brewster is correct.

Drivers licences don't show your current visa status which is what they are interested in.

When making a copy to carry with you make sure your current visa, departure card and 90 reporting stamp are all on the photocopy.

A photocopy IS acceptable and if they fine you then you should take it up with a higher authority or if you're out to make a statement refuse to pay and call a lawyer.

• Like 1

It has often been discussed and I remember one statement from a high ranking police officer saying that carrying copies would be accepted.

It is also quite certain that foreigners got trouble for not carrying copies at least.

So this case is not a first timer.

Be aware that we have a nervous situation after the bombing and the scandalous reports that Thai immigration let foreigners in without registering (for a bribe).

I always have copies with me (main page, pages with visa, extension stamp and departure card).

But can not proof whether it will always be acceptable, as I never been asked for on the spot wink.png

When doing overnight/distant trips, I always have the original passport with me.

Hotel where I stay checks carefully and writes down data from the passport.

Always searching for the extension stamp/admitted until.

I have had fun and games with hotels about this. I will show them only my name and passport number. They are not immigration and have no right to check my visa details.

I tell them to get immigration to come and check if they want, or i will find a different hotel.

Always i have stayed and no immigration has arrived.

Hotels, landlords and other accommodation givers are obliged, by law, to forward the details of your passport and the T.M. card to immigration.

Really?

Well all i can say is this is not enforced.

90% of the time nobody even asks, if the do they get my name and number only. With that immigration can check i am legal.

A drivers license is legal proof of identity about as much as a passport proves you have a DL and legally drive a car

Although a Thai DL is/was accepted it is still not legal proof of identity as regards ones legal status in Thailand only a PP does that, so given recent events in BKK the BIB are not being unreasonable asking for peoples PP's

The Op doesn't specify if they had their DL with them at them time.

Yes, we all had our DL with us.

We didn't have copies of our passports and visas. But is a photocopied passport really going to be acceptable if a Thai diving license isn't? This day and age anyone could doctor a photocopy.

We have been told that a Thai driving license and photocopy of passport is acceptable ID. Is a photocopied passport and visa that hasn't been stamped by immigration acceptable?

If the police thought we were doing something illegal or overstaying or whatever surely they would still have wanted to see our original passports? not just issue a fine after a few hours in the police station and send us on our way...

I recently replaced my passport and it was a headache. Traveling to and from BKK to apply and pick it up, not to mention a good 5-6 months wait.

The Op doesn't specify if they had their DL with them at them time.

Yes, we all had our DL with us.

We didn't have copies of our passports and visas. But is a photocopied passport really going to be acceptable if a Thai diving license isn't? This day and age anyone could doctor a photocopy.

We have been told that a Thai driving license and photocopy of passport is acceptable ID. Is a photocopied passport and visa that hasn't been stamped by immigration acceptable?

If the police thought we were doing something illegal or overstaying or whatever surely they would still have wanted to see our original passports? not just issue a fine after a few hours in the police station and send us on our way...

I recently replaced my passport and it was a headache. Traveling to and from BKK to apply and pick it up, not to mention a good 5-6 months wait.

Would be nice if immigration offered a service where they gave out small laminated cards with your detailed made by them to carry around. I am sure people would pay for such a service.

• Like 1

Nothing new. It has always been a requirement for foreigners in Thailand to carry their passports at all times!

You obviously did not bother to read the early posts which showed statements from senior Thai officials from last year...........facepalm.gif

I wonder if this didn't have more to do with the bar? By harassing the customers, perhaps they were sending a message to the bar owner?

Maybe, there were about 12 police officers on bikes and in a mini van. The area has many open air Thai style pubs which is frequented by uni students.

A drivers license is legal proof of identity about as much as a passport proves you have a DL and legally drive a car

Although a Thai DL is/was accepted it is still not legal proof of identity as regards ones legal status in Thailand only a PP does that, so given recent events in BKK the BIB are not being unreasonable asking for peoples PP's

Except a drivers license does confirm the holders passport number which is printed on it.

Except a drivers license does confirm the holders passport number which is printed on it.

Not always though.... the fact is the pp number on its own proves nothing to a local plod on the street if they are trying to verify identity and legal status in Thailand, yes of course they could check on a computer, but you fancy sitting in copshop while they do ?

I am not an advocate of making people carry PP's but given recent events in Thailand you can understand why they are asking at least

to be honest Thailand should copy Singapore's system and issue a work pass "ID" card for those legally working here to carry, annual updates done on the card etc

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

This is just a local police deal. Driving license lets us get on a domestic flight without having to show a passport so its a legal document. No need to carry your passport unless the police on mass decide to stop us all every time we go out of our doors. You guys were just unlucky. Annoying and cost 500baht but no need to worry I think.

Nothing new. It has always been a requirement for foreigners in Thailand to carry their passports at all times!

You obviously did not bother to read the early posts which showed statements from senior Thai officials from last year...........facepalm.gif

And like a lot of top officals in Thailand, they gob off at times without "authorisation" are said officials even still in the same postion

This is just a local police deal. Driving license lets us get on a domestic flight without having to show a passport so its a legal document. No need to carry your passport unless the police on mass decide to stop us all every time we go out of our doors. You guys were just unlucky. Annoying and cost 500baht but no need to worry I think.

Yes they let you on a domestic flight, and i know guys who have been let on domestic flight with their offshore BOSIET cards...anything with a photo and your name on it and looking "official" will get you on a domestic flight and guess what i suspect over the next few months, they will be wanting to see your PP on domestic flights ;)

A Thai DL is not legal proof of identity and legal status is Thailand its only legal function is to show you have a valid Thai DL

• Like 2

Actually it does.. The ID number in the Thai DL is derived from your passport number at the time of application.. Mine is 099xxxxxxxxx where the xxx is my passport number.

Been that way on 3 different 5 year licenses.

Yes they let you on a domestic flight, and i know guys who have been let on domestic flight with their offshore BOSIET cards...anything with a photo and your name on it and looking "official" will get you on a domestic flight and guess what i suspect over the next few months, they will be wanting to see your PP on domestic flights ;)

A Thai DL is not legal proof of identity and legal status is Thailand its only legal function is to show you have a valid Thai DL

You right about the DL. Not a good idea for them to accept it on flights..

Now you've got me worried. Flying to Bangkok tomoz. ;-)

The Op doesn't specify if they had their DL with them at them time. If they did then they should take their copy of the ticket and forward it to Deputy Commander Voravat and request a refund as well as disciplinary action against the officers who detained and harassed and then extorted that 500 baht from them. If they didn't have their DL with them then they deserve whatever the police dished out to them.

The last sentence seems unnecessary. I'm hardly in a position to deem who deserves what, when and why.

The dish of just desserts is often at my own cost when I consider the lack of credibility.

I'm hoping this is a one off means of making extra cash, be useful to hear if anyone else experiences similar.

And whilst thinking about it: poster SP suggested an ID card for people who work here but what about the retirees. How about an ID card for all registered aliens, similar to the US, that way a person is either a registered ID card holder, a tourist on vacation who is most likely to have their passport with them, or illegal (the latter being fined 500 baht and sent on their way). biggrin.png .

Yes. And in an ideal world they'd be able to check the immigration status using the passport number. But Thailand isn't exactly ideal!!

Also if you have a 5 year licence it would mean that you have a non immigrant visa. 5 year licences are not issued to casual tourists, only a one year.