Late payment of uk pension

vogie

Well on the three occasions my payment was delayed I received the next payment on its due date no delay at all.

Now as a digression I never received my Life Certificate letter in February of this year hence no March 1st due date payment was made, left it for around a week and then telephoned the U.K office.I was treated with great courtesy and was told I had not replied to the Life certificate request. Then I was asked a number of questions concerning my personal details that were listed on the pension claim form some 5 years back which of course were answered without a problem.

The upshot verbal confirmation that my delayed pension was to paid into my bank here in Thailand which it was some 4 days later and a new Life Certificate letter was sent, received and returned. Payments then returned to normal and were paid on the due date, no time adjustment no financial loss

I had sent an email requesting receipt of the return certificate and at Songkran I received a phone call telling me, all was well .''

My experience with the call centre was first class with very helpful staff,.

Edited by arfurcrown
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes I have just checked my acc and its gone in at last. Approx 10 days late, so in my reckoning we have lost 10 days in payment, we will never get that back. But hey ho lets be thankful for small mercies.

Not so. We got the same amount of money as normal, just 10 days later and in fact we probably gained a few baht on the exchange rate too. The other good news is that from now on things will be back to normal (I hope) and now I only have just over 2 weeks until the next 28 days worth comes in.

My glass is now past the half full mark where it normally is and tonight it will be refilled several times.

Have a great day.

Bill, I don't want to be the one to lower the level in your glass, but my interpretation of the DWP letter (extract below) is that your next payment will be received on 15th October.

Unfortunately the first payment using a SWIFT/BIC code will take longer to appear in your account.
It will take about 6 days longer than you would normally be expecting it.
After this first delay, your payments will start showing in your account every 4 weeks.

I don't agree, the first payment is delayed, subsequent payments are not.

Yes I have just checked my acc and its gone in at last. Approx 10 days late, so in my reckoning we have lost 10 days in payment, we will never get that back. But hey ho lets be thankful for small mercies.

Not so. We got the same amount of money as normal, just 10 days later and in fact we probably gained a few baht on the exchange rate too. The other good news is that from now on things will be back to normal (I hope) and now I only have just over 2 weeks until the next 28 days worth comes in.

My glass is now past the half full mark where it normally is and tonight it will be refilled several times.

Have a great day.

Bill, I don't want to be the one to lower the level in your glass, but my interpretation of the DWP letter (extract below) is that your next payment will be received on 15th October.

Unfortunately the first payment using a SWIFT/BIC code will take longer to appear in your account.

After this first delay, your payments will start showing in your account every 4 weeks.

The letter states that we will be paid 28 days after the the monies goes into our bank, if this is the case does anyone else see that we may be losing 10 days?

Have a great day.

Hope I am wrong.

In which case it begs the question - why is only the first payment delayed ?

Have a great day.

In common with most bureaucratic organisations the DWP has not said what they meant. All payments to date have been made with a Swift code, it would appear that some change has been made in how the transaction would be routed through the Swift system. The statement should have read

"Unfortunately the first payment using the amended bank details will take longer to appear in your account. "

Also the statement "After this first delay, your payments will start showing in your account every 4 weeks." is the height of ambiguity, can be read either way.

For those people due their pension on a Friday, some time beforehand the system will produce a data file and forward it to Citibank to process the payments. What we do not know is if the delay was in producing the datafile or in processing the payments. We can only hope it was the latter as that being the case the next datafile for that group of people would be on the original time cycle.

I would like to think that these changes would lead to an improvement in efficiency for some and that everyone who is due their pension on a Friday, gets their pension on a Friday.

Have a great day.

There is always that possibility in which case the DWP and MPs will be getting a lot of complaints.

The way I read it things will go back to they way they were on the original due dates.

That is because of the half full glass philosophy.

Be positive and not negative is my motto.

Have a great day.

There is always that possibility in which case the DWP and MPs will be getting a lot of complaints.

The way I read it things will go back to they way they were on the original due dates.

That is because of the half full glass philosophy.

Be positive and not negative is my motto.

Almost agree Bill.

Positivity ........... with a small dose of cynicism = Reality.

Have a great day.

Hope I am wrong.

I suspect it is because the DWP is now using a different bank provider and NOT Citibank.

I was told by the lady at the DWP call centre that they were using an Irish bank but I have no link to prove it and I could well be wrong.

Just wait and see what happens next month and play it from there.

Have a great day.

Hope I am wrong.

I suspect it is because the DWP is now using a different bank provider and NOT Citibank.

I was told by the lady at the DWP call centre that they were using an Irish bank but I have no link to prove it and I could well be wrong.

Just wait and see what happens next month and play it from there.

That is a plausible explanation except for the fact that the DWP letter makes no suggestion of any change from Citibank.

Therefore, I think it is about a change in the way Citibank do things.

Have a great day.

The letter states that we will be paid 28 days after the the monies goes into our bank, if this is the case does anyone else see that we may be losing 10 days?

"The letter states that we will be paid 28 days after the the monies goes into our bank" and subsequently there was an unexpected delay. Vogie, are you bored?

FWIW the US Social Security (SSc) people used to use Citibank Ireland for their distribution of US SSc pension payments to eligible people in the UK, a few months ago they stopped using them and started to use Worldpay which is owned by Royal Bank of Scotland. That's a huge move for the US SSc folks and a great account for Worldpay to have, exactly why the US Dept of SSc would use a UK company for that purpose it unclear. But clearly, there is a move away from anyone using Citibank and I don't know why that is either.

Have a great day.

"The letter states that we will be paid 28 days after the the monies goes into our bank" and subsequently there was an unexpected delay. Vogie, are you bored?

Not sure why you asked if I was bored, the letter is not too clear, but if I can include this paragraph:-

"Unfortunately the first payment using a SWIFT/BIC code will take longer to appear in your account.

After this first delay, your payments will start showing in your account every 4 weeks"

To me this implies that we will be paid 28 days after the payment is credited to our acc. Have you got a different interpretation to my view?

To me a late payment of two weeks means we have to use our own resources to cover the two weeks. It is only recovered when we are dead cos it will stop two weeks after we are dead. So, yes it will cost us money when alive.

BUT, you will not have lost any money overall.

Interestingly, a friends pension was due on Tuesday - it arrived today.

"After this first delay, your payments will start showing in your account every 4 weeks".

That says, normal service/schedules will be resumed, after the first DELAY, ergo there will not be a second delay.

Which-ever way you look at it, we are not been paid for the delayed period?

That is not the way I read what they've written. All that is said is that the first payment is in delay.

Should we be active in any way ? I haven't received the letter so i don't know if some info is required of me or not. In fact i haven't been receiving letters for some time now, official letters from the UK and from Germany haven't arrived, even TOT bills have gone missing but that is a different problem.

Yes and I've stated it three times in this thread.

Me too.

However instead of worrying about something over which we have no control just be patient and wait for the next payment.

Either chiang mai and I will be right , you and transam will be wrong, or the other way around.

Either way there is not a lot we can do about it and to be honest I can't be that bothered about it until the next payment comes.

I got my payment this morning it had been due on the 17th.

My understanding, after speaking to the pension people on Friday, is that my next payment will be in my bank on the 15th October which is 28 days after my September payment was due. So we are back on the original schedule.

The money is still sent via the Bahtnet network and I got 55.13 THB fx rate. Up from 47.64 THB when I got my first pension payment on the 31st of March 2015.

Today I received 2 letters from UK Govt pensions. Both had the same content but the typeface and signaturees differed. One had a telephone number ,the other did not. Arrived together,one dated Aug 25,the other Sept 5—not airmail.They advise a delay to my pension payment to my Thai bank because of the need for swiftcode numbers by Citibank the govt provider. Delay of 6 days--!!! The letters go on to say they willwrite again to tell me that my bank details have been changed. The “change was from July” the letter states So not sure why the change should mean such a delay. Ah well.

My understanding, after speaking to the pension people on Friday, is that my next payment will be in my bank on the 15th October which is 28 days after my September payment was due. So we are back on the original schedule.

The money is still sent via the Bahtnet network and I got 55.13 THB fx rate. Up from 47.64 THB when I got my first pension payment on the 31st of March 2015.

Genuine question - can you educate me on where the Bahtnet system comes into play. I thought that was just for internal transfers in Thailand ?

Happy to be educated.

Genuine question - can you educate me on where the Bahtnet system comes into play. I thought that was just for internal transfers in Thailand ?

Happy to be educated.

https://www.bot.or.th/English/PaymentSystems/PSServices/bahtnet/Pages/default.aspx

Information about the Bahtnet system in the lnk.

Happy to be educated.

https://www.bot.or.th/English/PaymentSystems/PSServices/bahtnet/Pages/default.aspx

Information about the Bahtnet system in the lnk.

Thanks.

I read that. I am still not clear exactly that works for these individual payments from Citibank.

Do Citibank make one settlement with BoT? and each pension is then paid to individuals' Thai bank accounts.

I (wrongly) assumed they batched payments from the UK (or at least in GBP) to individual accounts in Thailand.

"My understanding, after speaking to the pension people on Friday, is that my next payment will be in my bank on the 15th October which is 28 days after my September payment was due. So we are back on the original schedule".

If stress reduces longevity, several posters herein may wish to try and chill a little more, in their retirement years!

"My understanding, after speaking to the pension people on Friday, is that my next payment will be in my bank on the 15th October which is 28 days after my September payment was due. So we are back on the original schedule".

If stress reduces longevity, several posters herein may wish to try and chill a little more, in their retirement years!

Indeed you are quite right c/m, but if I am possibly losing over £200 I tend to boil as opposed to chill, but only time will tell.

Not really. If the government through the DWP knew in July that this was going to happen it was THEIR responsibility to notify the pensioners affected in plenty of time and to do it BEFORE the payments were due. It is now 23rd September 64 days or more than 9 weeks after the 1st August plus how ever many days before that when the decision was made and I have yet to receive a letter of notification.

Granted this was the first time in 6 years that it has been late but I have made no change to my banking details in those 6 years. The upper management at the DWP must take the responsibility but you can bet your last quid that nothing will happen.

Edited by me for spelling and grammar mistakes.

Edited by billd766

Not really. If the government through the DWP knew in July that this was going to happen it was THEIR responsibility to notify the pensioners affected in plenty of time and to do it BEFORE the payments were due. It is now 23rd September 64 days or more than 9 weeks after the 1st August plus how ever many days before that when the decision was made and I have yet to receive a letter of notification.

Granted this was the first time in 6 years that it has been late but I have made no change to my banking details in those 6 years. The upper management at the DWP must take the responsibility but you can bet your last quid that nothing will happen.

Edited by me for spelling and grammar mistakes.

My post above refers solely to the much debated question of whether the current delay would result in a permanent loss or a rescheduling of payments, poster dereklev confirms my/our view it will not.

As for the issue of whether DWP could do things better, of course they can.

My pension was due today and came in within the normal time range at 09.30. This is the second payment that has come in time since the date on my letter so hopefully there is not going to be any delay.

The payment hit my account at 55.238 and as the pound has been declining over the last 18 hours, it was 55.45 at 17.30 yesterday, It would suggest that the payment was actually made between 8 and 10 pm last night. Rate is currently 55.088.

Bahtnet is closed overnight and the payment normally hits my account shortly after it opens.

My pension was due today and came in within the normal time range at 09.30. This is the second payment that has come in time since the date on my letter so hopefully there is not going to be any delay.

The payment hit my account at 55.238 and as the pound has been declining over the last 18 hours, it was 55.45 at 17.30 yesterday, It would suggest that the payment was actually made between 8 and 10 pm last night. Rate is currently 55.088.

Bahtnet is closed overnight and the payment normally hits my account shortly after it opens.

Good news sandy, I will keep my fingers, and everything else for that matter crossed.