Motorbike water damage?

Bludshoteyes

The new MSX got submerged up to its mirrors for a few hours in last nights floods. I'm no mechanic and don't pretend to be, and basically have no idea as to what I should/shouldn't do now. Got my trunks on and rescued it from the depths last night so now it's just standing, drip-drying. Will it be okay to start after a dry-out or will it need some professional attention? Any advice much appreciated...

post-239766-0-43738400-1442457469_thumb.

Ohh. sorry to hear about your new MSX bike turned into a submarine.

No don't start it.

Turn the engine on the kick starter slowly (if fitted) with ignition off and you will get the water out of the cylinder, do this as soon as possible.

Check the gasoline tank or better just drain it completely and refill with fresh gasoline. Perhaps flush the tank first, using a bit of gasoline.

Push the bike to a competent Honda shop and let them deal with it and as robblok said make sure the engine oil is changed.

Do this asap so electrics/electronics can be dried out fast and you might be able to save some of it.

Please let us know how you get on and good luck with it.

If you have class A insurance on the bike, it will be covered but not many have that on small bikes.

Edited by guzzi850m2

Wouldn't even attempt to turn the engine just take it in. Not sure the compressor can work w/out ignition ... seen a couple of upside down bikes being drained

What compressor?

Another thing OP: If it was my bike I would change the oil min 2 times.

After 1st time, start the engine and let it run for app 2min and then change it again this time change the filter as well. (if the filter is a paper type one, a mesh filter just needs to be blown though with comp air).

By doing it twice you will get all the oil lines flushed out with fresh oil.

Edited by guzzi850m2

New oil and new gas essential. My phantom got submerged 2 years ago. One year ago needed engine rebuild and now solenoid went. I think problems will be on going so best of luck.

My bike was submerged 2 times during the BKK floods and has no ongoing problems. So it could turn out well for him too.

Ohh. sorry to hear about your new MSX bike turned into a submarine.

No don't start it.

Turn the engine on the kick starter slowly (if fitted) with ignition off and you will get the water out of the cylinder, do this as soon as possible.

Check the gasoline tank or better just drain it completely and refill with fresh gasoline. Perhaps flush the tank first, using a bit of gasoline.

Push the bike to a competent Honda shop and let them deal with it and as robblok said make sure the engine oil is changed.

Do this asap so electrics/electronics can be dried out fast and you might be able to save some of it.

Please let us know how you get on and good luck with it.

If you have class A insurance on the bike, it will be covered but not many have that on small bikes.

And if the engine happens to be on the compression stroke when you turn the engine over you can do serious damage to it as you cannot compress water. If you are going to do this you need to remove the spark plug first and then kick it over to get any water out of the cylinder.

New oil and new gas essential. My phantom got submerged 2 years ago. One year ago needed engine rebuild and now solenoid went. I think problems will be on going so best of luck.

My bike was submerged 2 times during the BKK floods and has no ongoing problems. So it could turn out well for him too.

thats why i wished him best of luck.

Call insurance company first

Don't turn the engine over.

You need to inspect intake first. if its water logged, kicking it over will let water into the

cylinder, it may not be wet inside yet, but if you turn it over it will suck water straight in.

also check exhaust is not water logged.

you can try this check yourself if you have a few spanners.

As mentioned remove plug if you try and turn it over first. no harm in that.

Take it to bike shop. better idea,

Edited by onemorechang

Yes you are right off-course, I forgot that one.

Glad you're not my mechanic.

TAKE THE SPARK PLUG OUT!

That's the first thing.

If it wasn't running when the water hit it then probably no need to worry about it too much.

I'd still drain it of all fluids and replace the filters and spin the engine over a few times without the spark plug in it to get rid of any water in the cylinder. Spray the cylinder (the spark plug hole) generously with Sonax or better yet WD-40 (Water Displacement Formula 40) to get rid of moisture.

I rebuilt 11 RTA HMMWV's (Hummvees) after the 2011 floods that were submerged for 2 weeks in 2 meters of water next the Chao Phraya river, so I speak from a little bit of experience (30+ years total).

15 years ago you could not find WD-40 in Thailand, so I mention Sonax.

WD-40 was designed for NASA as a way to remove moisture years ago, though most folks thinks of it as a lubricant.

Stick a WD-40/Sonax spray nozzle into any and everything that might be electrical on the bike.

I'd be spraying it every time I brought it home for a week.

When I was young & STUPID I took my Toyota truck thru a deep mud hole. The alternator (electrical part) quit working. 2 cans of WD-40 squirted into it and it was like new again.

Yes you are right off-course, I forgot that one.

Hey Guzzi, did not mean to sound to harsh on ya there in my last post.

We all make mistakes.

I once had a weed-eater/string trimmer I was trying to start & it just would NOT start.

It was the end of the dry season & beginning of the wet = I hadn't used it for a couple months & I couldn't be arsed to figure it out, so took it to a shop on Pattaya Tai & the guy stuck a screwdriver in the muffler to remove the wasp nest & it fired right up!

BOY! I felt STUPID.......

Real nice guy. I tried to pay him & he wouldn't take my money.

Edited by jaywalker

My Honda Air Blade doubles as a boat.biggrin.png I've ridden though deep water that nearly comes up to the seat and kept on going. The other night it stalled with water over the exhaust - pushed it to dry land and started her up again.

Should I be getting an oil change?

My Honda Air Blade doubles as a boat.biggrin.png I've ridden though deep water that nearly comes up to the seat and kept on going. The other night it stalled with water over the exhaust - pushed it to dry land and started her up again.

Mine would not start anymore (yamaha nouvo) after being submerged. But i found out that it was because the air intake was real low. If your starts up without a problem i doubt then much water has come in. My advice for deep water driving don't use a nouvo as the air intake is too low.

I would also not risk my ninja in the water, i can just imagine the bill if it goes wrong. For the scooter that is not much of a problem.

Mine would not start anymore (yamaha nouvo) after being submerged. But i found out that it was because the air intake was real low. If your starts up without a problem i doubt then much water has come in. My advice for deep water driving don't use a nouvo as the air intake is too low.

I would also not risk my ninja in the water, i can just imagine the bill if it goes wrong. For the scooter that is not much of a problem.

There's no way I would go out into flood water on purpose LOL. On these occasions I was caught out and wanted to get home.

There's no way I would go out into flood water on purpose LOL. On these occasions I was caught out and wanted to get home.

I went in on purpose during the 2011 floods of BKK when they were drying out. I saw other bikes in the village try it so I thought I could too. However the nouvo has its air intake real low so when i tried it went wrong. The other bikes were much better at it. I even had a hose in my exhaust but did not think about the air intake. I did not know it was under my feet. I found that out quite fast.

Quick update on the Mini Submarine Xtreme: first stop was Honda Mityon on Pattaya Tai. The girl there spoke great English so it was easy to explain what happened and that the bike was insured. Just fix everything, please, no problem, yah dok jai. Dubiously she rung back a few hours later saying it was done, cost THB600. Of course all they'd done was change the oil and the filter and a new spark plug. It rode home like an old dog with all the electrics still shot. Then back at the apartment randomly bumped into a guy who said he could help. He fetched a pick-up and took me to one of the rag&bone mechanics on 3rd road. Again explained what had happened and it needed a proper job, no expense spared. Picked it up yesterday, bosh, THB2500 and good as new. Beautiful job. Gotta love Thailand...

gain explained what had happened and it needed a proper job, no expense spared. Picked it up yesterday, bosh, THB2500 and good as new. Beautiful job. Gotta love Thailand...

What did they do for 2500 baht ? just the electrics or total engine strip down and reassembly ?

gain explained what had happened and it needed a proper job, no expense spared. Picked it up yesterday, bosh, THB2500 and good as new. Beautiful job. Gotta love Thailand...

What did they do for 2500 baht ? just the electrics or total engine strip down and reassembly ?

I don't know if the engine was stripped down. Bloke didn't speak a word of English and my Thai/engine knowledge about on par at close to zero. But from what I could gather all the bits that were recommend above were done, filters and all that. Fuel tank flushed and everything dried out. Would you expect a strip down for 2500? I'm not sure but it's running as good as it ever was so maybe...

I don't know if the engine was stripped down. Bloke didn't speak a word of English and my Thai/engine knowledge about on par at close to zero. But from what I could gather all the bits that were recommend above were done, filters and all that. Fuel tank flushed and everything dried out. Would you expect a strip down for 2500? I'm not sure but it's running as good as it ever was so maybe...

At that price he probably rebuilt the engine. I had my phantom rebuilt for 3300