Border Run Alternatives

On 1/29/2017 at 1:37 PM, ubonjoe said:

They count entries by sea the same as by land.

When I returned to Phuket from Langkawi, I asked the immigration officer if the entries that were stamped in my guests passports were counted as land entries and the officer told me that they were the same as if they had arrived by air. However, another immigration officer in another province may not agree but in Phuket, one can make as many voyages to Malaysia as they want with no limit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

I'm a UK citizen with a Thai family and have been living here continuously (bar visa runs) for a bit over three years. My partner is a bloke, so I can't show marriage eveidence. I live with his family - I've been coming to and fro for another 18 years. - and regard them as my own. 

My OA Retirement visa expired at the end of January and I am unable to renew it because the combination of the collapse of the pound and the raising of the income threshold to 65,000THB means I'm below the requirement. All will be well again in July 2018 when my state pension kicks in.

In the meantime I am planning to do runs to Vientiane - the closest to where I live in rural Lopburi - getting a single entry tourist visa (they seem not to be prepared to issue multi entry) and exteding it at the local immigration office in Lopburi to give an effective 90 day between visa runs. I've done two runs so far.

I've heard rumour, but can find no evidence on line, that there is now a limit of two conscutive tourist visas from the same consulate.

That would well and truly screw up my plan.......

Firstly, is it true?

Secondly, any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

The income of 65k baht has been the same for many years  (2003). Did you consider doing the combination of gross annual income and money in the bank to reach a total of 800k baht.

There is no overall 2 tourist visas back to back rule.

Vientiane will do 3 tourist visas back to back with some people getting 4 of them.

After you get 3 at Vientiane you could go to another embassy or consulate and get 2 more.

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

Closed for Visakha Bucha Day (see http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/embassy/calendar.php).

Thanks 

I will have to change dates.

I will save that link also , for future reference.

PS i see is also closed on 12th May..that will make for a crazy week up there, if you don't go on Monday 10Th you won't get the two day turnaround.,

PPS My application is due on 13th so the following week is no good, but if i go the earlier week eg 3rd May  will my visa start as of that date [3rd] and i lose 10 days or does it kick in as of the 13th.?

Thanks for advice here.

Edited by happyas

2 hours ago, happyas said:

Thanks 

I will have to change dates.

I will save that link also , for future reference.

PS i see is also closed on 12th May..that will make for a crazy week up there, if you don't go on Monday 10Th you won't get the two day turnaround.,

PPS My application is due on 13th so the following week is no good, but if i go the earlier week eg 3rd May  will my visa start as of that date [3rd] and i lose 10 days or does it kick in as of the 13th.?

Thanks for advice here.

Your permission to stay will commence on the day you enter Thailand. If you have a multiple entry visa, its validity begins on the day of issue and expires a year later.

For information, Hong Kong is closed May 10, but open as normal May 12 (see http://www.thai-consulate.org.hk/internet/attachments/700.pdf). It is a very easy place to apply. You apply in the morning between 09:00-12:00 and get your visa the following morning between 9:00-12:00. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

I need to activate the next 90 days on my non-imigrant visa this month. First I thought I will go to Poipet, but I heard there is not allowed the same day return trip. Also I wanted to use Cambodian e-visa to save passport page. Now I get this info that borderrun is possible at Burma,  Ban Phu Nam Ron , which is even closer and less expensive than Poipet. Can anyone confirm this one if you have been there recently. And if I have to make burmise visa before going there?

4 hours ago, aoneseller said:

Hi, 

I need to activate the next 90 days on my non-imigrant visa this month. First I thought I will go to Poipet, but I heard there is not allowed the same day return trip. Also I wanted to use Cambodian e-visa to save passport page. Now I get this info that borderrun is possible at Burma,  Ban Phu Nam Ron , which is even closer and less expensive than Poipet. Can anyone confirm this one if you have been there recently. And if I have to make burmise visa before going there?

You don't need a Burmese visa at Phu Nam Ron. You pay 950 baht on the Thai side which pays for your transport across no mans land to the Burmese immigration and back.

1 hour ago, aoneseller said:

But they going to use a whole passport page upon entering Burma?

Nothing but a entry and departure stamp for Myanmar.

The price of 950 baht includes 500 baht for a Myanmar border pass that requires no stamps or stickers.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Been years since I have been there because getting on and off of the boat is a nightmare with me being a T12 paraplegic.

Perhaps better for you to use the Andaman club crossing. The have better boats.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Perhaps better for you to use the Andaman club crossing. The have better boats.

Hmmm. Tempting but it costs less to just fall down and roll into a boat and then have to crawl out of it. On the other hand I know a lady with a car who would quite likely like the trip but don't know what the Andaman club offers. Perhaps you can elucidate.

11 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Hmmm. Tempting but it costs less to just fall down and roll into a boat and then have to crawl out of it. On the other hand I know a lady with a car who would quite likely like the trip but don't know what the Andaman club offers. Perhaps you can elucidate.

Never been there myself but many people have reported it is better than Ranong.

Here is their site. http://www.andamanclub.com/home.html

This presentation video shows the boats. http://www.andamanclub.com/present.html

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Never been there myself but many people have reported it is better than Ranong.

Here is their site. http://www.andamanclub.com/home.html

This presentation video shows the boats. http://www.andamanclub.com/present.html

Dam nnnnnnnn. Given the choice I would actually rather fall down and roll into the boat. Greatest of thanks to UJoe for information.

• Like 1

In the interest of community cohesion and being a helpful chap I should perhaps explain why I asked the question. Sadao (both gates) are essentially not issuing visa exempt entries at the moment even if you have been out of the kingdom for >48 hours.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the considerable amount of advice offered here ubonjoe also special mentions for BritTim and elviajero.

Has anyone had any experience with Samui immigration getting a 60 day extension based on Marriage/Thai child? I'm on a multiple entry Non 'O' and would prefer to do less frequent border runs.

12 hours ago, TheLobster said:

Has anyone had any experience with Samui immigration getting a 60 day extension based on Marriage/Thai child? I'm on a multiple entry Non 'O' and would prefer to do less frequent border runs.

There should be no problem to get a 60 day extension to visit your wife or child at Samui. Others have gotten them.

7 hours ago, aoneseller said:

Just want to give an update about Ban Phu Nam Ron, Burma. Today I went there for stamp, everything ok, fast, didn't waste any page from passport. Paid 960 baht, I returned back to Thailand in the same hour.

I am interested in the information you are posting, but could you please clarify. By "stamp" do you mean a fresh entry on a multiple entry visa, or do you mean a visa exempt entry?

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 8:13 PM, notmyself said:

In the interest of community cohesion and being a helpful chap I should perhaps explain why I asked the question. Sadao (both gates) are essentially not issuing visa exempt entries at the moment even if you have been out of the kingdom for >48 hours.

Kota Bharu still offers a visa exempt entry if you know the right people but it is a bit iffy to me  and it entails an overnight stay. Ranong is the only border that offers an out-in but not one agent on Samui does the the service. Couple of calls and done and dusted. A whole minibus to myself on Sunday morning for a very reasonable price.

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

I am interested in the information you are posting, but could you please clarify. By "stamp" do you mean a fresh entry on a multiple entry visa, or do you mean a visa exempt entry?

Fresh entry on multiple entry non-imigrant visa.To activate the next 90 days.

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:22 AM, notmyself said:

Kota Bharu still offers a visa exempt entry if you know the right people but it is a bit iffy to me  and it entails an overnight stay. Ranong is the only border that offers an out-in but not one agent on Samui does the the service. Couple of calls and done and dusted. A whole minibus to myself on Sunday morning for a very reasonable price.

An update: Ranong, as ubonjoe said, does indeed offer an out-in under what would appear to be both the rules and normal implementation. Maximum 2 per calendar year  and no need to provide any supporting documents such as a flight out, accommodation or proof of funds though I would personally take them anyway. Those are the pertinent details....

No agent on Samui is doing visa runs to Ranong so I called up a fella I know who does runs to Sadao and one to Penang (2 nights in total) most days a week to see if he could help. Said he could do it himself on Sunday as it was his day off and his missus has a friend over there she has not seen in ages. He asked for 4k which I was happy to pay but I had to make my own way to Donsak which entailed me driving my saleng over to the port and getting the first boat out (5am and 130 Baht). Picked me up and we then went past his house and picked his missus up then off we went. Got to Ranong at 11am Had a chat to a couple of local boat men and got a private charter long tail for 600 Baht. Nobody in the queue at immigration departures so was on the boat in 10 minutes which is a bit of an adventure as there is no real dock to speak of. I'm a T12 paraplegic and I managed so most anyone could do it.

You have a couple of checkpoints of some kind on both sides there and back but didn't have get out of the boat or even stop for that matter nor did I have to get out the boat to enter and leave Burma even if I did want some duty free. They get one of the young boys on the dock to run into town and get what you want for a 100 Baht tip but I didn't want anything and gave my allowance to the captain. He got a bottle of whiskey (cock 101 or 010 or something) and we got back around 12:30 and was through immigration (no queue again), all done by 12:50.

18697976_1556281157747586_1630374723610316442_n.jpg.8d97f71cf0261dabd82f965a3703083e.jpg

SAM_4264.thumb.JPG.0e025c889d3d4323c5490901e3909d62.JPG

SAM_4265.thumb.JPG.818b9c8752b2d30916f45da2cf6d4c78.JPG

SAM_4266.thumb.JPG.98a74b2d52a488f224a4eb02ab65eb7a.JPG

Last picture is the 'runners' who just help out unloading and such like while just getting tips for their help. Nice kids who are doing all manner of things but it is the captains who do all the immigration and passport stuff.

Easy trip back to Donsak and was on the 5pm ferry. Had a good chat on the journey and my friend Sit (driver) said he would likely start doing that as a regular service because Sadao is such a nightmare and he can make a good bit even by exchanging Baht for crisp 10 US$ bill needed to pay for the visa into Burma which will cost you 500 Baht if you don't have one. If he goes up there will a minibus full (10 people) then he can make 1500 Baht just on that alone.

Total cost for private hire not including ferry to Donsak (130 Baht e/w)

4000 for the minibus

600 for the boat

500 for the US%

100 to not have to get out the boat

Hope this is of some use to people.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2017 at 7:47 AM, ubonjoe said:

There should be no problem to get a 60 day extension to visit your wife or child at Samui. Others have gotten them.

Ubonjoe and other forum members - Is it known if the 2 land border runs only p. Calender year law - is strictly enforced - lets say Nong Khai border or Mukdahan border?

I was already 2 times this year using that possibility and then extending my stay with + 2 month for having children with Thai woman. Thank you. ?

18 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

Ubonjoe and other forum members - Is it known if the 2 land border runs only p. Calender year law - is strictly enforced - lets say Nong Khai border or Mukdahan border?

I was already 2 times this year using that possibility and then extending my stay with + 2 month for having children with Thai woman. Thank you. ?

If you have already done 2 visa exempt entries this year at a land border crossing you will not be able to do another one until next year. The rule is strictly being enforced.

Best to go to the embassy and get a single entry non-o visa and then the 60 day extension of the 90 day entry from it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have already done 2 visa exempt entries this year at a land border crossing you will not be able to do another one until next year. The rule is strictly being enforced.

Best to go to the embassy and get a single entry non-o visa and then the 60 day extension of the 90 day entry from it.

Thank you -ubonjoe- for advice and - in short time I will also not find a cheap same day flight out and into Thailand instead. ?