Define 'Thainess'?

NaRangsit

We are always told we'll never understand Thainess, but let's give it ago. Thainess for me is a welcoming culture where you are not judged for what you wear or where you come from. Where I live, the Thais are very accommodating. Thainess is also freedom for me as I don't have to get involved as I am outside the culture. Thoughts?

Nice OP, this could be interesting.

For me, what goes under the definition of " Thainess " is, more or less, the sides of Thai culture which we cannot understand.

For example, i am very gracious and accomodating, until you make me so angry that i kill you.

( that's an exaggeration of course, most Thais i deal with, are people who can have a reasonable discussion without getting ballistic )

Nice OP, this could be interesting.

For me, what goes under the definition of " Thainess " is, more or less, the sides of Thai culture which we cannot understand.

For example, i am very gracious and accomodating, until you make me so angry that i kill you.

( that's an exaggeration of course, most Thais i deal with, are people who can have a reasonable discussion without getting ballistic )

Yup, I think the 'Thai Smile' can be where that notion is clearly seen. The smile can mean so many things; as it can in my own culture. I can also give a condescending and mocking smile rather than one that simply means happy.

Thainess for me is sometimes going above and beyond when it comes to hospitality. Had a wonderful meal last night, the bill was 800 baht for two, hardly HiSo. But the service was . The tom yum was too spicy, they could see this from my face. They took it away and made another for free. A taxi was called at the same time we asked for the bill. Try finding that service back in Blighty!

Thailand is a class structured society where everything is judged on a hierarchy of value. As an example, different words are even used for the same thing depending on class and status. Some words are considered more polite than others even though the meaning is the same. Appearance, age, manners, language, accent and a myriad of other parameters are used to gauge how to interact with others. Foreigners for the most part fall outside the strict confines of Thai culture and are treated as special cases.

What foreigners sometimes view as not being judged is really a case of being treated with a great deal of deference due to your status of being a foreigner. Of course it is normally poor lower-class Thais who are treating you with such deference, similar to what they would do with a Phuyai in their own culture.

I think that is one reason one often hears foreigners say how wonderful poor people are in comparison to those above them on the social ladder. It is not that they are treating you in a normal manner, they are treating you as special, and that of course makes one feel good. Well educated, more upperclass Thais, with higher status are not going to bow before a foreigner they can clearly see is low class even in their home country and who dresses and acts inappropriately in Thailand. Since many foreigners see themselves as superior regardless of their background, they do not appreciate the attitude of upperclass Thais.

Edited by villagefarang

Thailand is a class structured society where everything is judged on a hierarchy of value. As an example, different words are even used for the same thing depending on class and status. Some words are considered more polite than others even though the meaning is the same. Appearance, age, manners, language, accent and a myriad of other parameters are used to gauge how to interact with others. Foreigners for the most part fall outside the strict confines of Thai culture and are treated as special cases.

What foreigners sometimes view as not being judged is really a case of being treated with a great deal of deference due to your status of being a foreigner. Of course it is normally poor lower-class Thais who are treating you with such deference, similar to what they would do with a Phuyai in their own culture.

I think that is one reason one often hears foreigners say how wonderful poor people are in comparison to those above them on the social ladder. It is not that they are treating you in a normal manner, they are treating you as special, and that of course makes one feel good. Well educated, more upperclass Thais, with higher status are not going to bow before a foreigner they can clearly see is low class even in their home country and who dresses and acts inappropriately in Thailand. Since many foreigners see themselves as superior regardless of their background, they do not appreciate the attitude of upperclass Thais.

And this is your definition of Thainess.......great....projection is never far away on here.

Thainess:-

– Having your crash helmet hanging from your handlebars when driving your scooter.

– Driving the wrong way against the traffic.

– Letting 12-year-olds drive motorbikes.

– Cramming up to 5 folk on a motorbike (of course none of them wearing crash helmets).

– Overtaking a car on either side, irrespective of which way the driver is indicating that they wish to turn.

And that's just a few things to do with the driving here, which indicate a degree of stupidity........

And this is your definition of Thainess.......great....projection is never far away on here.

Listen to two Thais who have never met talking.

After the Pee/Nong status has been established, listen to the use of personal pronouns and polite particles.

No projection, just the way the Thais are.

Personally I make sure to wear my amulets the size of a dustbin lid.

As I sit on the free government bus I make sure to wai important landmarks and spirit houses

I always wai the motorcyle taxi drivers before asking for a fare.

If the security guard is sleeping as I walk by, I bow my head in deference.

Before heading on a 15 hour road trip without stop, I pray to the dashboard ganeesh for guidance.

I use squat toilets, none of this farang sit down rubbish.

I can drive the car steering with my elbows as I eat and talk on the mobile at the same time.

Anything else I may have missed, feel free to add.

Thai Cultural Mandates

Number 2 (1939)

1. Thai people must not engage in any business without considering the benefit and safety of the nation.
2. Thai people must never reveal anything to foreigners that might damage the nation. These actions are a betrayal of the nation.
3. Thai people must not act as agent or spokesman for foreigners without considering the benefit of the Thai nation, and must not express opinion or take the side of foreigners in international disputes.
4. Thai people must not secretly purchase land on behalf of foreigners in a way that endangers the nation. These actions are a betrayal of the nation.
Edited by Fabricus

Thai Cultural Mandates

Number 2 (1939)

1. Thai people must not engage in any business without considering the benefit and safety of the nation.

2. Thai people must never reveal anything to foreigners that might damage the nation. These actions are a betrayal of the nation.

3. Thai people must not act as agent or spokesman for foreigners without considering the benefit of the Thai nation, and must not express opinion or take the side of foreigners in international disputes.

4. Thai people must not secretly purchase land on behalf of foreigners in a way that endangers the nation. These actions are a betrayal of the nation.

A correct reply on this lighthearted subject is not well received on here. Ah well...