Three weeks with a big headache, wasted time and money, just because of a defect solenoid...

lostinisaan

Sabai Dee Boo?

It all started with a loss of a lot of power.Engine running well, no black some, always serviced well, etc..

The manager of Mitsubishi convinced me that my clutch would be at fault. Okay, 9,000 baht (10 % less) and they changed it, just to find out that the same problem did still exist.

After a longer discussion, they put my old one ( better said one I bought at a good store for 2,950 baht) in and waited for two days.

Then a visit to Sisaket Diesel. Turned out that the water pump was also leaking, okay change it. Makes it to 7,600 baht, to get the pump overhauled and new nozzles.

It was sad that they put the pimp in with the wrong timing and it took five hours to find that out. Then after getting that fixed, it turned out that there's something not okay with the pump.Pump out, again all parts and bits checked.

Then another mechanic took over, because the other one had to leave. A real disaster, when you're the customer and you can read their faces. nobody knows what's wrong, as usual.

Then it turned out that two valves didn't work. The mechanic did not know that the one valve's not constantly open and it's regulated by the ECU.

Nobody was even thinking about checking the ECU unit inside ( connections/ power supply,etc), nobody even considered to take a look at it.

They told me to come back and back and back, until I got sick of it.

I checked all the cable connections and found some faulty ones, cleaned them and the engine sounded better and better.

Considering that the solenoid that's opening the valve at the inlet manifold didn't work and the Diesel shop were tat the end, I went back to Mitsubishi, thought they'd just put another one in, it's just two cable connectors and takes a minute.

They even have a service car, same engine, same model, same solenoid.Wouldn't you just try if the car works with that one? I would.

But no, logic isn't very common here. The chef mechanic tried almost all for about five hours and told me that the solenoid needs to be changed,. Okay, how much will that be? Only 2,760 baht, plus tax.

Will be back on Saturday, were my last words when i left the shop after waiting there for seven hours. ( Had to wait until the guy finished a car)

Yesterday, when I came home from work I thought I must have a look at the system, check again and finally found one more poor cable connection, two leaking vacuum tubes and did a few other things.

I could feel that both solenoids switched on and off, when I had my fingers there and opened the throttle a little bit. After cleaning all connections, checking all vacuum lines and fixing something what a mechanic had broken, the valve is opening again !!!!!!

The engine runs so smooth that it's really nice to have a ride. Why I wrote this? Just to let some guys know that Thai mechanics only know the usual problems. but when it comes to electronic/electric, they do not seem to know much about it.

Thanks for reading. Drive safe. thumbsup.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

You are right about that,there are very few that can call themselves mechanics. I onece went down the same road,and in the end fixed it myself.

I met a guy a few years ago,flying into Thailand from Indonesia,he worked for a British co, He travels around the whole of south east Asia buying up discarded hidraulic pumps from tractors

plus many other units. They send them back to the UK for overhaul,and then they are sold on the world market. He said Indonesia is a great place to buy ,but Thailand tops all,as they have very little know how mechanically,and are just classed as fitters. He said some of the pumps have only a o ring problem

Sums it all up.

You are right about that,there are very few that can call themselves mechanics. I onece went down the same road,and in the end fixed it myself.

I met a guy a few years ago,flying into Thailand from Indonesia,he worked for a British co, He travels around the whole of south east Asia buying up discarded hidraulic pumps from tractors

plus many other units. They send them back to the UK for overhaul,and then they are sold on the world market. He said Indonesia is a great place to buy ,but Thailand tops all,as they have very little know how mechanically,and are just classed as fitters. He said some of the pumps have only a o ring problem

Sums it all up.

But there're some very good guys out there, as well. I remember many years ago, when my master clutch cylinder ( at the gearbox) was leaking so much that I couldn't drive anymore.

Was trapped on a road in the middle of the city, when I refilled the container, it ran out immediately., no way to make it to any place.

A "bystander" pulled out his phone and called a mechanic, even told him the make and model. 45 minutes later a car pulled up, two guys started to work on my car.

The guy took the cylinder out, had the right o-ring with him already, changed it, put the cylinder back in, filled the break fluid up and all was good.

Clutch worked for another 130,000 km.

P.S. Will be at Mitsubishi in an hour to get my brakes checked. The red light goes on, I'm loosing brake fluid. Takes two to three days, guess a brake cylinder finally gave up.

I still got my first rear brake shoes and drums after 278,650 km.....Gotta love classic Mitsubishi trucks.

Edited by lostinisaan

The horror seems to continue. Just arrived at Mitsubishi and the chef mechanic told me that the valve ( EGR?) shouldn't constantly be open. They ordered a band new one from Japan, put it in and see: Nothing freaking works.

At least, I could make it happen that it opened, but stayed open, even when I switched the engine off. Now they're three mechanics with a big headache trying to find the problem- again?

They told me last week that the solenoid would be the problem that the valve doesn't open. Okay. I know that they won't like to lose face again and are trying to sell me the new one.

I tried to find information online about the two solenoids on the Internet, but wasn't successful. Now I'm already waiting 3.5 hours and they stated to check the wiring to the solenoids.

I've checked the resistance of the new solenoids and they do not differ from mine. Had to show them how to check that and they're only starring at me, as they had no idea how to do it?

Now, I'm back in the air conditioned waiting room and can't watch them anymore.IO'd be more than happy if somebody has any information regarding the two solenoids. One of them opens the valve at the intake manifold at about 1700 RPM.

And the headache continues.....facepalm.gif

Always good to have one of these small OBDII adapters. Plug it in, read out the faults on your phone and then google for the cause.

Just did that with the pickup of the inlaws. Exhaust return something solenoid problem, rather common. The guys at the (official) Isuzu workshop said at least 20k damage. If you open it and use a spoon to clean, it comes for free...

I don't even think they can read the error messages, or if, they have no clue what they eventually mean.

Edited by MadMac

You can do without EGR ... just get a blanking plate put in. You will generate a little more NOx at times ... but that won't noticed ... you will just be joining the EGR Blanked Club

Edited by JAS21

You can do without EGR ... just get a blanking plate put in. You will generate a little more NOx at times ... but that won't noticed ... you will just be joining the EGR Blanked Club

That was what I just wrote, take off the 4 screws, use a teaspoon and clean the thing. Done.

That was what I just wrote, take off the 4 screws, use a teaspoon and clean the thing. Done.

Have been a Blanked Club Member for too long already. Was at Mitsubishi for 5 hours. They ordered the solenoid, put it in, but it didn't work.

Then I had to show the head mechanic how to check a coil, in this case two solenoids.. Sometimes three of them working at it and did always the same rubbish that made no sense at all. Oh god, figured out that I know way more about it than the best of them.

The resistance of the new one and my own was 45.5 and the other one 24.4 Ohm. After five hours and a test drive ( an angry wife at home, because we wanted to go to a retirement party) they parked the truck outside and a guy from the office told me that "Borrighan" ( labor) would be 489 baht.

I've seen before that all of them struggled and finally left the lost faces alone. When you as a "farang" have to show the guys how to use an Ohm, Ampere/ Voltmeter, then there must be something wrong, don't you think?

Asking them if all would be okay, yes it's working. I started the engine and the damn thing didn't work. And I made it work before. They had the new one and one from the same model as a service car to check different parts.

I've never seen more primitive workers who know so little about their job.I'm a biker from Germany, electronic and bikes is my hobby.

So the solenoid did nothing, even when they're asking for the labor. When I "pointed that out", it was all in a sudden for free and somebody mumbled that I should come back on Monday morning at 8 am. Of course can't I be there and they know it.

I think I will never go there again after all.

Tests have to be written and it's not just one. But I'll check on that tomorrow and I know it's only a cable. Gotta check all of them now.

Had a huge fight with my wife, because we really arrived very late to our friend's retirement party. And the rear valve, that gives more power to the rear brake when it's loaded is still leaking.

Told them to repair it, but they didn't find the little problem in five freaking hours. Last week already five hours. Ten hours sitting there without a positive result can't be in customer's interest.

God,. please help me. Time for a cold beer. Now I know how people can become drunks. Should I start crying for help?

I'm completely lost in Isaan. Cheers- facepalm.gif

P.S. I also figured out THAT MY TECHNICAL THAI PRETTY MUCH SUCKS.

Edited by lostinisaan

Try one of the free mechanics. We have one in BKK for the Optra. He rebuilt the whole engine after madame let it run dry and was wondering about that red light with the oil can. These guys exist. Certainly also for Mitsubishi.

Try one of the free mechanics. We have one in BKK for the Optra. He rebuilt the whole engine after madame let it run dry and was wondering about that red light with the oil can. These guys exist. Certainly also for Mitsubishi.

How does that work, a "free" mechanic?

How does that work, a "free" mechanic?

I would presume he means 'independent', not tied to a specific brand.

Yeah, that was the straight translation from German, like "freie Werkstatt", meaning independent workshop.

There are a lot of these small workshops that then often specialize in a certain brand. Check out one of the various car clubs, they usually know or recommend someone.

Yeah, that was the straight translation from German, like "freie Werkstatt", meaning independent workshop.

There are a lot of these small workshops that then often specialize in a certain brand. Check out one of the various car clubs, they usually know or recommend someone.

I do not believe in gods, nor do i think that certain people can make wine out of water.<>

But miricles seem to happen from time to time. In this case this afternoon. Went to my place on campus where I park my car to have a fag ( not what you might think now) and opened the hood.

Took a deep look at it, changed two tubes and hello here we go again. The tubes were only wrongly connected.

That helped me through a six hour teaching day with little monsters who can be louder than one hundred Jet engines, made by Rolls & Royce.

Please see my other thread, ( the photos of the solenoids) where I've started a new thing, because i couldn't believe that such a little thing can become such a headache for me.

At least my truck's working well, I taught the mechanics at Mitsubishi how to check a coil, using a simple ohmmeter and I saved 3,000 baht for a useless set of solenoids. Plus tax, of course.

There's a t least one happy guy in Sisaket today. Free beer until midnight, when you make it to my house. thumbsup.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

get yer kid to fix it, he's been to vocational college, so should be well able to do the job!

Have you ever heard that ordinary electronics and car electric/ electronic are two different shoes?

I did some troubleshooting stuff for companies like Jaguar, Japanese muffins and of course American cars with two computers and an anti theft system many moons ago and thought it would be a piece of cake for hem.

But you never stop learning. Now I know that I know nothing and you're the guy who knows all. Hope that helps. .

I just showed my son what the problem was and we're laughing our asses off. Thanks for your Anti technical college attitude, mate.

You might end up one day and understand my point of view.

Outside of Toyota it seems there is a steep drop off.....

Mits mechanical has been bad/parts dept has been ok.....

Some independents - by virtue of sheer numbers of vehicles worked on are much better at diagnostics.....

Auto trans proficiency is terrible here - almost imposible to find

There are some good ones. We had the guy rebuilt the whole Optra engine. That's why I said check for the local car clubs. They have one for every piece of cake smile.png. An can recommend a mechanic.

The truck's working well now. It turned out that the tubes to the solenoids were "a sort of misplaced", which caused three mechanics to work on it for two weekends a' five hours? And I was waiting in their freaking airconditioned room, drank one coffee after the other always thinking I would be able to drive home.

Just to let me know that the solenoid would be at fault? I could always feel that they switched on and off, when I had my fingers there and opened the throttle.

Q: Why is it so similar to all the school related things in this country? Answer: Because they all went through the same system and lose face?

Okay, to make a long story short. I found the problem in a five minute break, where I just wanted to have a cigarette, while Mitsubishi, even having the best mechanic(s) they can come up with, do not find the problem?

All I did was to change two tubes, inclusive a plastic connector that was on the wrong tube and might have caused some headaches for the mechanics.

I really felt very stupid to show them how to use an ohmmeter and how to check resistance of a coil.....just to make sure that they get it tat i don't need the new ordered ones for 3,000 baht with tax. Of course without labor.

Told them to check my brake valve in the back which is leaking, but none of the three guys working at my truck did anything, even knowing that I'm losing brake fluid, which can become every dangerous.

..The offered free car wash wasn't done either and the car was given back to me with the words that the solenoids would work. But they didn't and they gave up because it was Saturday 5 pm and they'd already tried all they could..

But they also my day completely off and now I'm angry. Just angry about so much stupidity.

I'm not talking about rocket science now. I'm really disappointed and glad that i understand at least something about it.

But letting me wait for so many hours and destroying two weekends in a roll isn't cool. their coffee and mama soup !!!!

Should I really go to them and tell them what the problem was? A little change of two tubes. Two little freaking tubes right at the two solenoids.

Hell no. Let them do what they always do. And that's bullshit. I'm out. Please close that thread. Thanks.

&lt;deleted&gt; Mitsubishi.docx

Edited by lostinisaan

Keep them coming ...

All I need is to replace the brake valve behind the tank that gives more or less power on the real brakes when the truck's loaded.

It's leaking a little bit, but this aware that this can be very dangerous. If you see no more funny posts and I'm in Nirvana. listening to Nirvana. thumbsup.gif

Keep them coming ...

All I need is to replace the brake valve behind the tank that gives more or less power on the real brakes when the truck's loaded.

It's leaking a little bit, but this aware that this can be very dangerous. If you see no more funny posts and I'm in Nirvana. listening to Nirvana. thumbsup.gif

That valve is self adjusting so don,t touch it whistling.gif

Some independents - by virtue of sheer numbers of vehicles worked on are much better at diagnostics.....

yes, it seems that apart from Chevrolet many brands in thailand do develop problems over time. whistling.gif

yes, it seems that apart from Chevrolet many brands in thailand do develop problems over time. whistling.gif

You gotta be kidding. Mine is much longer........facepalm.gif