1 week holiday options for Thai family?

fang37

Fly to Phuket (or another city). Spend a few days there (not Patpong). Get a car, check out the island, head up to the beautiful beaches in Khao Lak. Go to the big reservoir just past there on the way to perhaps Krabi? Or any one of a number of great beaches north and south of Chumpon. I could eat up a month doing that trip!

Assuming you are going in October, maybe the biggest factor is going to be that the kids are off school everywhere and vacation spots will be crowded and hotels booked, though that is mostly the sea...

You could try Nan Province for something less traveled and different, Sukhothai for the historical park & then Phitsanoluk. Driving around northern CM Province and into CR is pretty countryside…

not sure what you like - food is everywhere… head for some of the out of the way places near you - Phayao, Phrae, not sure exactly where you are… but these places should all be in reach and the drive should be ok…

Take a drive up to Trat and visit the King's first hydro-electric project. Then swing over to the Chokchai farms and have a tour of there plus some of the best ice-cream in Thailand. From there you are close to Don Luieng (or however it's spelled -in Korat province) the famous pottery place where they make all those figuines and baked jewelry. Near there is a place where you can make your own customized outdoor umbrellas.

It would also be a plus if you all played golf because there's some incrediblt mountain courses in those areas as well.

Assuming you are going in October, maybe the biggest factor is going to be that the kids are off school everywhere and vacation spots will be crowded and hotels booked, though that is mostly the sea...

You could try Nan Province for something less traveled and different, Sukhothai for the historical park & then Phitsanoluk. Driving around northern CM Province and into CR is pretty countryside…

not sure what you like - food is everywhere… head for some of the out of the way places near you - Phayao, Phrae, not sure exactly where you are… but these places should all be in reach and the drive should be ok…

+1...Sounds like a good plan.

You could head over to Ubon and out to the Mekong past Sirindhorn. There is a national park north of the border crossing with some tremendous cliffs and prehistoric stone arrangements. If you can get the vehicle across the border Pakse is not far away, several waterfalls and coffee plantations in the area.

Accommodation - a variable? B2k/night?

I have no desire for the top end, More homely; family run; helpful staff but close to amenities.

Took family there once - their maiden trip.

Their 1st time in a plane; maddening crowds; Royal Palace; sky train.

It was an honour to take a Thai family to their own capital.

But, there is no place like home.

Accommodation - a variable? B2k/night?

I have no desire for the top end, More homely; family run; helpful staff but close to amenities.

Took family there once - their maiden trip.

Their 1st time in a plane; maddening crowds; Royal Palace; sky train.

It was an honour to take a Thai family to their own capital.

But, there is no place like home.

Your wife wants to drive, yes?

Hotel on Suk with parking. Get up before traffic gets bad and take day trips to:

Kantchanaburi

Hua Hin

Bang Saan

Pattaya

Any number of places to go when you have a car and can get up early.

Unpack and square the room away once, eat anything you want every day, see all the movies in English...

I do this at least once a year and the family loves it.

Try Kanchanaburi then.

Win thumbsup.gif

For a week?

I could easily burn 5 days there just cruising around. A week would be just fine. I've always wanted to spend a night on the lake in a floating room and see that big wooden bridge. A day of lazing around wouldn't be too bad either????

Try Kanchanaburi then.

Win thumbsup.gif

For a week?

I could easily burn 5 days there just cruising around. A week would be just fine. I've always wanted to spend a night on the lake in a floating room and see that big wooden bridge. A day of lazing around wouldn't be too bad either????

Ideally, that would be our plan.

Have a rough itinerary BUT maintain maximum flexibility.

Enjoy - stay a little longer.

Unsuitable - move on.

We are the masters - not the servants?

Thank you, Kan Win

I am looking for an itinerary more specific.

Family - 3 Thais - 36yo & 2 @ 60yo. 1 Farang - 67yo.

Must be driving tour - not many km/day

Leisurely

Conventional Thai cuisine - not 5 star hotels

Accommodation - 3-4 star

Interests - not beaches

Duration - 7 days

Thank you, Kan Win

I am looking for an itinerary more specific.

Family - 3 Thais - 36yo & 2 @ 60yo. 1 Farang - 67yo.

Must be driving tour - not many km/day

Leisurely

Conventional Thai cuisine - not 5 star hotels

Accommodation - 3-4 star

Interests - not beaches

Duration - 7 days

See post #10