Property Insurance and the day after

akentryan

The recent flooding should help those who suffered damage to an auto or home to 1) Obtain adequate insurance if they don't have it and 2) Get an assessment of response from their agent knowing they are swamped with claims.

I switched my auto coverage to Global Solidor Insurance a year or so ago and just obtained a 4,000,000 package on my home on August. The auto cost drooped from 21,000 a year to 14,000 a year. My home coverage cost 7,200 baht. There are also reasonably priced health plans depending on your age group.

I have Medicare Part B in the USA plus a supplemental plan that is fairly expensive but covers 70% of my medical costs including prescription medicines here in Thailand. Big decisions have to be made and more often the older you get. Get it done here and pay 30% out of pocket versus the cost of a flight to the USA where it is free. Next up is a new Pacemaker after January 1 next year. Quoted 400,000 at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya. I can fly RT business class to Japan for about 33,000 baht and pass ride First Class from Japan to Florida for a few hundred dollars. Fortunately I have family that I can stay with. A lot cheaper than 120,000 baht plus I get to see my family one more time - perhaps for the final time.

The day after you have a claim is critical in finding what kind of agent you have and how good your coverage is. I have one acquaintance whose Hybrid was totaled by the flood. Earlier this week he picked up a check for the claim payment - payment in full in less than a week? Don't know specifics re amounts (none of my business) but do know that is pretty prompt service. Again that's Global Solidor as the agent

I am an American and I believe Global Solidor is owned and operated by a group of German ex-pats. I have no axe to grind but am very happy I am insured with this agency.

Also of note is that Bangkok Bank was offering 200,000 in accident insurance for 1,590 baht a year if you open a savings account. I don't ride a motorbike but my GF does so I bought it for her. I have no other connection to Bangkok bank other than as a deposit customer. My retirement money is sent by ACH to BBL every other month.

Stay dry but get insured just in case.

That discount for combined auto/home cover is worth having, though I already only pay 13,000B for my 1st class auto cover. Which company is your insurance with? Solidor are just brokers/agents as far as I know, and dont provide the actual insurance.

OP is it the same insurance co. for both? (KK it was not clear to me that the covers were combined for any extra discount?)

OP can you say how much you are covered for flooding on the house as many companies removed flooding as a basis for claims after the BKK floods.

That discount for combined auto/home cover is worth having, though I already only pay 13,000B for my 1st class auto cover. Which company is your insurance with? Solidor are just brokers/agents as far as I know, and dont provide the actual insurance.

OP is it the same insurance co. for both? (KK it was not clear to me that the covers were combined for any extra discount?)

True, it wasnt completely clear but it seemed that way to me. I used to get a similar (but smaller) discount in Europe for having more than one policy with the same company.

The auto insurance dropped when I switched agencies. First class was 21,000 but I saved 7,000 by switching agents. Same coverage and they both use Pattaya Garage for repairs.

Ah, I see. From your original post I got the impression that it was to do with having more than one policy with the same insurer.

Yes, it pays to shop around when it comes to insurance.

The auto insurance dropped when I switched agencies. First class was 21,000 but I saved 7,000 by switching agents. Same coverage and they both use Pattaya Garage for repairs.

KK asked earlier but can you say who is the underwriter for the car insurance?