Driver tries to scare off spider using lighter, sets gas station on fire

Jonathan Fairfield

Video footage shows driver’s panic as flames spread from his gas tank to the pump after ill-judged attempt to get rid of the arachnid

A motorist scared of spiders gave himself a double shock when he accidentally set a gas station on fire trying to get rid of one using a cigarette lighter.

The man told authorities he saw a spider on his gas tank as he went to fill up and unwisely decided to use a lighter to remove it.

Video footage from the gas station in the city of Center Line, Michigan, shows the man’s horror as he realises what has happened, and flames quickly envelope the pump and, presumably, the spider.

Video footage shows driver’s panic as flames spread from his gas tank to the pump after ill-judged attempt to get rid of the arachnid

A motorist scared of spiders gave himself a double shock when he accidentally set a gas station on fire trying to get rid of one using a cigarette lighter.

The man told authorities he saw a spider on his gas tank as he went to fill up and unwisely decided to use a lighter to remove it.

Video footage from the gas station in the city of Center Line, Michigan, shows the man’s horror as he realises what has happened, and flames quickly envelope the pump and, presumably, the spider.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/sep/27/driver-spider-petrol-gas-station-fire-lighter

... Bhaaa...ha....haaa. Love it! Thanks for the uplifting laughable. Idiots are so entertaining! 555

Now not even a dipshit Thai male with half a brain would do that!

I disagree with that statement, as I watched a Thai farmer pour gasoline around a chili patch (not his) as he feared snakes, had seen a snake in chili next to his farm so,.... encircle said area by pouring gasoline around it, set ablaze and then proceed to throw gasoline into the inferno he has started from the orginal container, which also caught afire.

Thank the gods we have a fire break around our farm so I set and drank a couple more beers and watch the chinese fire drill unfold. I figured this fellow was responsible for about 20 plus rai of lost veggie crop, and he had run like the devil was after him when it dawned on him the potential fallout from neighbors

Good that it was not a Thai, else we had pages of comments how low the IQ of Thais is. Now that the guy is white and from the US the topic wont see many of those comments.

Yes, and we can now get even better value from pages and pages about stupid yanks enhancing the gene pool.555

we have all probably gotten into a situation that half way thru it we realize how dumb we were to get to said point. it goes to show how people can have lapses of common sense, and /or logical thought process, no matter what country they come from or live in.

I remember when i was a young lad, I worked in a garage, it was a late night and dark, A Guy came in and said he thought he had a Fuel leak, He could smell petrol and his car was useing a lot of fuel, I could smell the same, so i said i would jack the car up and take a look , I jacked the car up and got underneath and found what i thought was a leak from a loose petrol pipe, The main feed pipe from the Tank to the Carburetor, The Guy was stood next to me, i said i could not quite see the leak area, I said i would get my torch, In a flash he said dont bother i got my lighter and lite the lighter, Luckily I Knocked the lighter out his hand , It was done without thinking like this idiot ,

Edited by Thongkorn

Did the spider survive?

Talking of stupid things, I teach secondary science. We were in the lab investigating cooling curves and at the end of the investigation we had a load of thermometers with stearic acid stuck to them. I decided to show the class how to remove the stearic acid quickly - just place the end of the thermometer in the Bunsen burner. 3 seconds later I was grateful the thermometers nowadays are alcohol based, not mercury. Moments of stupidity happen to all of us.

Good that it was not a Thai, else we had pages of comments how low the IQ of Thais is. Now that the guy is white and from the US the topic wont see many of those comments.

55555....so true. If this had been in Thailand, the idiot farang brigade would be asking "why are Thais so stupid?" Why aren't these same people asking "why are farangs so stupid?"