Thai MFA spokesman: Visitor’s multiple entry visa effective from November

Visitor’s multiple entry visa effective from November

BANGKOK, 1 October 2015 (NNT) – Thailand is set to introduce its new multiple entry visa regulations for tourists from 13th November 2015 to facilitate the travels of tourists who wish to enter Thailand multiple times, an MFA spokesman announced.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) Spokesman Sek Wannamethee, disclosed that visitors to Thailand will be able to apply for a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) from 13th November 2015, or 60 days after this matter was announced in the government gazette.

The new multiple entry visa will be valid for 6 months after the date of issue, and is available at a fee of 5,000 baht. Bearers of this visa will be able to stay in Thailand for no longer than 60 days per visit for tourism purpose.

Persons of all nationalities can apply for the visa at Royal Thai Embassies or Royal Thai Consulates-General worldwide.

The issuance of the multiple entry visa for tourists is a measure to help boost the nation’s tourism industry in order to generate more income, and to support the realization of the ASEAN Community, the MFA spokesman says.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-01 footer_n.gif

whistling.gif The question they did not answer is how many entries is considered "multiple"...is that 2 entries, 3 entries, or more?

In short, during that 6 month period, would I be able to enter Thailand, then do a one month trip to Vietnam, then re-enter Thailand, followed by a short Christmas trip to Singapore, re-enter Thailand then do another trip to Cambodia and finally re-enter Thailand again before my 6 month visa was finished?

Now that's what I would mean by a multi entry tourist visa.

In short, 3 or 4 trips out of Thailand as a tourist to neighboring countries, using Thailand as a "home base" in a 6 month jaunt in South East Asia.

That' is what I would call a "multi-entry" tourist visa.

It will mostly benefit people that want to be able to leave and re-enter the country several times during a trip to visit other countries within the region. More so for those that do not qualify for visa exempt entries.

whistling.gif The question they did not answer is how many entries is considered "multiple"...is that 2 entries, 3 entries, or more?

In short, during that 6 month period, would I be able to enter Thailand, then do a one month trip to Vietnam, then re-enter Thailand, followed by a short Christmas trip to Singapore, re-enter Thailand then do another trip to Cambodia and finally re-enter Thailand again before my 6 month visa was finished?

In short, 3 or 4 trips out of Thailand as a tourist to neighboring countries, using Thailand as a "home base" in a 6 month jaunt in South East Asia.

Multiple entry means unlimited entries not X number of entries.

It is the same as a multiple entry non immigrant visa except it only allows a 60 day entry.

It will mostly benefit people that want to be able to leave and re-enter the country several times during a trip to visit other countries within the region. More so for those that do not qualify for visa exempt entries.

There is also no information about whether it will be possible for these visa to be serially obtained back to back. Nor is there information about whether the 60 day entries can be extended.

• Like 1

there are still several unanswered questions:

- can you do extensions at the local city immigration ?

- can you do a visa-run before the end of 6 months, therfore extending it to 8 months.

why are new Laws in Thailand always lacking in the important supporting information ??

they always make revisions a few weeks later (to clear up the obvious lack of understanding).

who the hell makes these rules ?

why cant they just get a single person (with a brain) to run through the 'ins and outs' of the new regulations before they make them public ?

Edited by easybullet3
  • Like 1

There is also no information about whether it will be possible for these visa to be serially obtained back to back. Nor is there information about whether the 60 day entries can be extended.

There is still a lot info that has not been put out yet. I suspect that info will come out much latter.

Unless the regulation is written to prohibit extensions.I suspect an extension will be possible.

• Like 1

- can you do a visa-run before the end of 6 months, therfore extending it to 8 months.

why are new Laws in Thailand always lacking in the important supporting information ??

they always make revisions a few weeks later (to clear up the obvious lack of understanding).

why cant they just get a single person (with a brain) to run through the 'ins and outs' of the new regulations before they make them public ?

Have you seen the regulation (it is not a law) yet.

The info posted is just an announcement not a regulation.

• All existing "multiple" entry visas give unlimited entries so no reason to think this new visa won't be the same.
  • It's valid for 6 months. So you could exit and stay out for one month or as long as you wanted. All that matters is that you re-enter before the end of the 6 month ('enter before') date and stay a maximum of 60 days on each entry.
  • It is exactly designed for the purpose you describe.
  • It's also going to help people regularly entering the country using visa exempt entry.
  • Like 1

Although we don't have the full details it seems pretty clear to me. It's a multi entry tourist visa valid for 6 months that allows 60 day stays. There's not much else we need to know.

• Entry at the end of the 6 months and before the 'enter before' date will give another 60 day stay. So yes it will be good for staying nearly 8 months.
  • Existing rules allow for a tourist visa to be extended 30 days so there is absolutely no reason that this will be any different.
  • Like 1

Have you seen the regulation (it is not a law) yet.

The info posted is just an announcement not a regulation.

Yes, sorry.. I mean REGULATION. (not Law).

but anyway.. it makes no difference.

Every single regulation issued by immigration ALWAYS has 'missing dots' and then it later gets reviewed,, (and then reviewed again a 3rd or 4th time) and we need to read Interviews (usually from a Foreign Media with the immigration Chief) to 'clarify' exactly what the new regulation includes (and doesnt include).

When you take Law or Contracts (as a subject) you learn how to write something so that it can be understood by all, and to clarify any obvious angles. and NOT to have Loopholes.

i think my teenage son can make a better job of making new regulations more easy for everyone to understand !

If like the current TR visa, entries are extendable that could mean up to 10 months (6 months + 30 days+ 60 days + 30 days).

No doubt there will be loads of strings attached...

I do not understand your calculation. The last entry must be made before the end of the 6 months. Excluding special cases such as extension to visit wife, I would expect one 30-day extension plus (if desired) a final 7-day extension to leave the country.

I do not expect major surprises in the basic regulation. The best question so far is whether back-to-back multiple entry tourist visas will be permitted in principle. What is going to be difficult to figure out is what individual embassies will decide in terms of conditions. Will some require you to specify your entire 6-month itinerary (including all entries/exits from Thailand and hotel bookings) or will they acknowledge that the main users of such visas probably want to stay flexible?

If like the current TR visa, entries are extendable that could mean up to 10 months (6 months + 30 days+ 60 days + 30 days).

I do not understand your calculation. The last entry must be made before the end of the 6 months. Excluding special cases such as extension to visit wife, I would expect one 30-day extension plus (if desired) a final 7-day extension to leave the country.

I do not expect major surprises in the basic regulation. The best question so far is whether back-to-back multiple entry tourist visas will be permitted in principle. What is going to be difficult to figure out is what individual embassies will decide in terms of conditions. Will some require you to specify your entire 6-month itinerary (including all entries/exits from Thailand and hotel bookings) or will they acknowledge that the main users of such visas probably want to stay flexible?

oops yes sorry,so that 9 months.

I have not seen any basic regulation, each consulate acts pretty much as they please, but 2 trends are consistent: The longer you stay the more strings attached and every immigration change of the last 3 years makes foreigners life harder, not easier.

A flight ticket can be flexible anyway,so I doubt consulates will refrain from asking itinerary for that.

oops yes sorry,so that 9 months.

I have not seen any basic regulation, each consulate acts pretty much as they please, but 2 trends are consistent: The longer you stay the more strings attached and every immigration change of the last 3 years makes foreigners life harder, not easier.

A flight ticket can be flexible anyway,so I doubt consulates will refrain from asking itinerary for that.

The recent change of allowing a 30 day extension instead of only seven days to the 30 day stamp you get at the airport has made my life easier. This new multiple entry tourist visa also seems like a positive move.

Will it be possible to proceed to a "retirement extension" from this new tourist visa (with all conditions satisfied)?

The reason is my renewal date for the extension falls in December which is when Phuket Immi is jam-packed and I can see this as a way to alter the date to low season.

Will it be possible to proceed to a "retirement extension" from this new tourist visa (with all conditions satisfied)?

The reason is my renewal date for the extension falls in December which is when Phuket Immi is jam-packed and I can see this as a way to alter the date to low season.

You cannot apply directly for an extension of stay with a tourist visa of any kind. You have to change to a non immigrant visa entry at Bangkok immigration first.

If you want to delay applying for your extension you should go to Penang for a single entry non-o visa. You would need to show the same financial proof needed to apply for the extension. But the money in the bank only needs to be there on the date you apply.

Thank you Ubonjoe.

What is the current opening times/days and delay to O-visa collection at Penang?

They are open Monday to Friday except for holidays.

They are open for applications from 9 to 11:30 am. Pick up will be from 2 to 4 pm the next afternoon.