Anyone upgraded to OSX El Capitan yet?

webfact

Yes, I did. Yosemite was working fine; I think most of the cosmetic changes in EC are just baubles - which seems typical of Apple since SJ died. Also, I found EC to be a bit flaky and the SIP security killed off an unwelcome number of the apps I enjoy.

Having said that, it does seem snappier and a bit more fluid in display, but I can tweak Yosemite to do that as well. Networking is an issue for me, dnsmasq misbehaves.

All in all, I went back to Yosemite. I'll try EC again after the first 2 bugfix releases and see what happens.

It's probably just me, but I suspect this is the last OS X release. It seems to me Apple won't be happy until they turn all Macs into smartphones, and I expect we'll continue to see the IOS-ification of OS X until it's comprehensively dumbed down. I really do wish Linux were a sensible replacement.

Life sucks and then you die.

I have been using it for a while now and have had no major issues. There were a couple of third party apps which didn't work with the beta but should be updated with the official release. I like new stuff and never seem to have any major issues so take that into consideration when reading this comment. [iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)]

Life is great and then you die.smile.png

Edited by villagefarang

There are major problems if you are using MS Office, also reports of problems with some other 3rd party programs. Fixes 'should' be available soon. As with any new release always better to wait a while - especially if your device is critical to your work!!

Nothing to be gained by being one of the first to upgrade - but always a good possibility of a lot to lose...

It took me 4 days to download! Network kept resetting and I would lose any progress I made. Finally paused the download before going to sleep and resumed in the morning. That worked. I have been having mail problems and it seems a lot of others are having the same. Kept getting asked for passwords and then got a dialog that they couldn't be verified. Somehow lost all the mail in an old account but it was just a backup account and there was nothing important there.It is working now. I really like the split screen feature but that might not be a big deal for most people.

My NTFS driver needed to be re-installed for some reason. But other than that I've had no issues at all. For some reason the 4finger swipe to the right does not get me to my calculator anymore but I haven't looked in to that yet. As for people who said 'if it ain't broken, don't tweak it'. I feel this was true for windows computers but with Apple I never worry much. There are usually good (security/battery/useability) updates in these major releases.

Yep upgraded two Air's and an aging MacMini. All were running Yosemite, and honestly can't notice Hell of a lot of difference. But it's free and Apple upgrades tend to go fairly easily, unlike my Windows upgrades which always seem to run into some difficulties.

Please note that due to changes to OS security structure, the latest Mac OS X (10.11, El Capitan) will not allow mounting or unlocking of the following USB drives:
- Kingston: DataTraveller Vault Privacy, Vault Privacy 3.0, DT4000, DT4000 G2, DT Locker + G2 and G3 ranges
- Integral: Courier, Envoy, Crypto ranges
- Kanguru: Defender series
- Origin: Sentry 2/3

IronKey / Imation have not yet confirmed if they also have a problem.

It’s likely that these USB devices will need a manufacturer’s firmware update when available, and therefore access to a non-10.11 Mac to do so, or a PC.

• 2 weeks later...

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)

OS X El Capitan

Memory: 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

El Capitan seems to run flawlessly so far after a couple of weeks. No issues as usual. I was perfectly satisfied before installing the FREE upgrade. Photoshop seems to work just fine so I am a happy camper. I no longer have much need for Microsoft Office but the old version I use (2008 Office Suite) still works OK. My gut-feeling is the system is a tad-faster than the previous one.

-- For all my PC friends, I haven't experienced a locked-up, choked-system-failure since I left NASA 7 years ago!

• 1 month later...

Actually, there is not a lot new with the Photos interface, except that you can now sort by date, title, or custom order. You can also now add and edit metadata, such as location. Most of the changes were under the hood, allowing for third party extensions.

Help.....

Have not had any issues with EC (10.11.1) iMac 27 inch mid 2010 until I installed the latest recommended update "Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 6.18....

...now I cannot open Photos....I get a box that tells me Photos cannot be opened because of a problem, then goes on to say "Check with the developer.....

Then later says this report will be sent to Apple automatically.

What should I do......just wait for Apple to send me more updates?

Any ideas would be most appreciative...Thanks.