Thai are simply rude!

Just1Voice

How many times has a Thai told you they would "be there" at such and such a time, then not show up for an hour, or 3, later? If they show up at all. My wife is out today. She calls me around 1:15 and says a man will be here at 1:30 to look at hour house, which is for sale. Well, it's 3:30 now and the jerk hasn't shown up, hasn't called, nothing! And this is by far not the first time something like this has happened.

Thai people have absolutely NO concept about keeping appointments. They think it's perfectly fine to show up as late as they want, or not at all, and don't even think about calling to say they will be late, or that something has come up and they can't make it, then reschedule for another time.

If the A-hole shows up anytime today, I'll hand him a cd with pictures and all the information, then tell him to go home. If he wants to come in and look: "No, you should have done at at 1:30".

Even after 7 years, my wife is still just as bad! Today she had an appointment at 1:30. I had to get on her around noon to make her get ready and actually get out of the house at 1:00. She asked me one time: "What's the big deal?" I took my time and tried to explain it to her. She still doesn't get it.

A gross exaggeration !

Are you speaking about ALL Thais or just some Thais ?

The lack of punctuality is not a unique Thai phenomenon!

Try any one of the so called 3rd World countries and then tell me about the Arabic Nations.

Then tell me about Western "dole bludgers" who will be late for their own funerals!

Do not to sweat small things!

I believe the common phrase in many countries is "manyana"

Not everyone(Country) has the same "outlook" or prioritises things as others do. It would be pretty boring if they did.

Different culture, different ways, doesnt make them rude,right or wrong, just different.

Whats next, "why do thais try to head-butt me when we meet, why cant they shake hands like everyone else".......

OK, your P-Off someone didnt turn up, its not the end of the world, slightly irritating (for you) possibly, but hardly worth slagging off an entire Nation about it is it.

I believe the common phrase in many countries is "manyana"

Not everyone(Country) has the same "outlook" or prioritises things as others do. It would be pretty boring if they did.

Different culture, different ways, doesnt make them rude,right or wrong, just different.

Whats next, "why do thais try to head-butt me when we meet, why cant they shake hands like everyone else".......

OK, your P-Off someone didnt turn up, its not the end of the world, slightly irritating (for you) possibly, but hardly worth slagging off an entire Nation about it is it.

True. I would try to explain to the OP that certain cultures have a different concept of "time" and it's not about neglect or disrespect. But the OP seems to be beyond hope.

If the buyer shows up then tell him you are busy working online, he can come back another day.

When i wanted to buy a carport for 100k baht the salesguy would come (he had done more work on our house). We waited 2 hours but he never showed up. Made a new appointment with him and after an hour we just left the home to go shopping, again he didn't come.

Same on the markets, i first have to ask them how much it costs and then they are busy on the phone or whatever and think i'll wait for that? Yeah right.

They just like it when people wait for them. Guess they feel important if that's happening.

Tardiness does happen all over, but it is far from unusual in Thailand and has happened to me a lot here.

It's ok to excuse it as a cultural thing except that it's no fun being kept waiting for hours on end when you could be better occupying your time. It's neither funny nor endearing.

It amounts to a certain disregard for the person left waiting, almost an "I'm an important person and I can therefore disregard any self-discipline and keep an unimportant person like you hanging around indefinitely," (and often for no genuine reason.)

Politeness is important to me and I always endeavour to be on time. Keeping people waiting is dis-respectful.

It irritates me immensely and I have long since applied my "one hour" rule. After one hour (still quite generous) I p-ss off. Two can play at that game.

So whats your point? Everything you said is already a well-known fact, to everyone on the forum.. And, after 7-years of marriage, if your wife still doesn't get it, then why not just trade her in for a new model? You're the consumer, and it is always a buyer's market, in the LOS.coffee1.gif

Tardiness does happen all over, but it is far from unusual in Thailand and has happened to me a lot here.

It's ok to excuse it as a cultural thing except that it's no fun being kept waiting for hours on end when you could be better occupying your time. It's neither funny nor endearing.

It amounts to a certain disregard for the person left waiting, almost an "I'm an important person and I can therefore disregard any self-discipline and keep an unimportant person like you hanging around indefinitely," (and often for no genuine reason.)

Politeness is important to me and I always endeavour to be on time. Keeping people waiting is dis-respectful.

It irritates me immensely and I have long since applied my "one hour" rule. After one hour (still quite generous) I p-ss off. Two can play at that game.

Actually that is a very reasonable way to adapt. Try your best to make appointments at a time and place where you will be anyway and set a cutoff time, say thirty minutes or an hour. Have a plan for what you will do if they don’t show up. Getting all upset because one has no control over the actions of others is a waste of time.

Unfortunately,its not just a Thai thing In the UK I had to deal with many People from India,9 times out of 10 they would either be late or not turn up, perhaps it's because in Asia they are more laid back,and unlike in the west there is no rush,where we rush,rush,rush all the time , here there is Thai time And falang time,I just live with it , my wife tends to be punctual,she has lived in the west and is in business so has to be ,her sister on the other hand is always late,so if say we have to meet her at 12 ,I always say see you at 11.30 ,works a treat

Without going into specifics, what is considered rude and what is not in a country is the result of a social convention. If Thai people don't consider a certain behaviour to be rude, then by definition it isn't rude. You can't move to a foreign country and impose you own cultural norms on people, trying to do so will not work and just leave you frustrated.

Sophon

Archived