Royal Enfields

jpb1963

Well my brother in law back in EU, his bi-cycle cost way more than 50.000 bahtbiggrin.png

The Royal Enfields sold here in Thailand will be FI models, not something you can fix with a screw driver if it goes tits up.

Agree on ABS, saved my ass a couple of times too both at high/low speed scenarios but some old dudes just don't get it manwink.png

Before I comment further on the R.E. I would like to see one in the flesh and read more about owners comments, I am trying to remember which forum I read about one that was not impressed at all, unless you love bikes from the 60's.

My V Mk3 is not cramped at all & very good handling, as also canthai55 concluded, so that makes at least 2 of us that likes them, a budget do it all bikethumbsup.gif

Okay back to the retro cool looking Royal Enfields.

+1

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When shopping for my last new bike, I rented lots of them. Did the MHS loop as a proving ground as it is close by. On the Versys the ABS saved me from a crash, And no - I was not racing. It, along with the 500X, CB650F were all good bikes for 2 up. Not cramped at all. Good handling is also a life saver, this coming from a guy who has much seat time on H1 and H2 Kawasakis. And parts are readily available for all these bikes in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia - the list goes on. Of course, you can not buy them for 50,000 baht. At that price point you are just going beyond a bike with pedals, which are also easy to fix. Your standards are obviously much different than mine. I gave up 1950's bikes in the 60's, and them in the 70's, ...

papa has a lot of seat time on the H2 also, but parts for it are tough to find here in Laos.

dunno why.

I was in the shop yesterday on Suk 55. Staff seems nice enough, however they don't speak English so better have a translator. From what the girl was telling me is that there is about a 4 month turn around time from order to delivery. I also heard from a buddy and Pantip user that there is a Thai Japanese trade deal coming lowering the tax on Jap bikes. This would put the comparable Yamaha SR400 well below the Bullet 500....therefore RE should reduce the price further in the near future.

Bullet 500:199,900

Classic 500: 209,900

Classic Chrome: 219,900

GT:239,000

The thai-jap agreement has (supposed) to be ongoing for the last few years. I do not know specifics but thought import taxes reduce by (say) 10% each year until they are nil.

Hopefully someone else can confirm the finer points.

I do not, therefor believe your going to see any sudden big changes.

What specifically do you suggest?

Handling and ABS are only important if you want to race, but there other things in life for some of us and I have yet to find a decently priced bike here in Thailand, that isn't cramped.

When shopping for my last new bike, I rented lots of them. Did the MHS loop as a proving ground as it is close by. On the Versys the ABS saved me from a crash, And no - I was not racing. It, along with the 500X, CB650F were all good bikes for 2 up. Not cramped at all. Good handling is also a life saver, this coming from a guy who has much seat time on H1 and H2 Kawasakis. And parts are readily available for all these bikes in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia - the list goes on. Of course, you can not buy them for 50,000 baht. At that price point you are just going beyond a bike with pedals, which are also easy to fix. Your standards are obviously much different than mine. I gave up 1950's bikes in the 60's, and them in the 70's, ...

Be specific about this near hit that required ABS, where you weren't "racing". This was in a relatively underdeveloped country was it? Have you ever sat on an Enfeild, the seat and riding position are infinitely better for me.

"Parts for these bikes are readily available in Laos", you are in medium sized town like Muang Khoun on your Versys, just what parts do you think you can get there? What rubbish, you just might get a regular part in Vientiane if you can wait for it to arrive from BKK. With an Enflied they can probably make you the part and that's the whole point.

The list price I found for the 350 Bullet is 107609 rupees, equal to 56,114 baht.

The cost of your Versus 650 wouldn't even buy to a top of the range push bike anyway, so what's your point?

You can keep comparing old and new till the cows come home, they are completely different, as are the needs and wants of people who ride them.

Are you going to live and ride in India ? If so, the price you quoted is what you will pay. Post #43 listed Thai prices on their Facebook page, cheapest model is 200,000 baht. But ride what you want. I would hazard a guess - and that it what it is - that your riding experience is very limited, judging from what you have posted. In this and other threads also. If I am wrong, I am ready to be corrected.

On Facebook there is a new price list with reduced prices and a remark that all deliveries will be against the reduced prices!
Continental GT 219,800 Baht.
Classic Chrome 198,800 Baht.
Classic 500 189,800 Baht.
Bullet 179,800 Baht.
As soon as I have a official confirmation from RE Thonglor I will post that here.

Are you going to live and ride in India ? If so, the price you quoted is what you will pay. Post #43 listed Thai prices on their Facebook page, cheapest model is 200,000 baht. But ride what you want. I would hazard a guess - and that it what it is - that your riding experience is very limited, judging from what you have posted. In this and other threads also. If I am wrong, I am ready to be corrected.

I plan on riding in India, but if you had been to India you would know that buying a cheap Enfield wouldn't be sufficient reason to want to live there.

And your riding experience is what? No spare us the "GP experience" you had when you were younger, heard it all before. This is about enjoying biking, that's all, different people's needs, wants and opinions, it's not a erection competition.

I would still like to do the Indian Himalayas, it is a question of time and money, then I will have a better opinion about whether to buy one or not. But me thinks that seeing them for sale in India at a bit over £1000 and all the back up there, will put me off spending nearly £4000 here. and yes, I am comparing a 350 with a 500.

Royal Enfield motorbikes launches retail operations in Thailand
BY LARRY BANKS

Royal-Enfield-Motorcycle.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Royal Enfield just announced the launch of its retail operations in Thailand, with prices unveiled for its complete range of motorbikes, apparel and accessories at its first exclusive store in Thonglor, Bangkok.

Royal Enfield‘s first store in Thailand has been created by General Auto Supply Co. Ltd. In Bangkok, the firm’s most iconic bike, the Bullet (the world’s oldest motorcycle in continuous production since 1932) is available for 179,800 Baht for a 500 cc model.

Royal Enfield’s retro street model, known for its classic styling, and called the Classic 500, is available for 189,800 Baht, and the Classic Chrome for 198,800 Baht. The Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 cc cafe racer is available for 219,800 Baht.

Full story: https://ethailand.com/business-news/royal-enfield-motorbikes-launches-retail-operations-thailand/1624/

-- eThailand 2016-02-26

Made in India ?

Yes made in India.

I been Goggling around to find forums & reliability reports on the R.E.'s, but not much is coming up, because I think they sell in relatively small no's outside India, I think it's a niche bike.

Nothing wrong with that, some bikers are passing of the never ending quests of getting the most powerful bike for your buck and I understand them very well, since I used to be a Harley owner myself.

For me the R.E's are interesting because they looks like "a real bike" but admittedly not something I will buy now, but perhaps later (when I am old, or win the lotto), when I just wants to cruise around at perhaps 100 km/h.

Speed and capabilities to corner as fast as possible is not always the best for everybody and we should respect that.

I am looking forward to hear more owners reports later on.

Just about the crappiest motor cycle one can imagine.

Build quality wise it's terrible.

But very cool looking. thumbsup.gif
Ducatis look cool too when parked at Starbucks
But they're more fun on the road. I have 999S which is a beast, but I wouldn't mind owning a R.E. 500 Bulllet. A pilot friend of mine had one in the Middle East. Paint was excellent, British Racing Green. Nice, reliable and not a track bike, but for cruising about and not being in a hurry, a great bike. [emoji106] [emoji4]

The main advantage is that the technology is so low that a village blacksmith could make a creditable spare. Forbye, they have been updated with disc brakes, 12volt electrics much improved suspension and fuel injection. The paintwork is better than many of their Chinese rivals..

The main advantage is that the technology is so low that a village blacksmith could make a creditable spare. Forbye, they have been updated with disc brakes, 12volt electrics much improved suspension and fuel injection. The paintwork is better than many of their Chinese rivals..

Not sure which 'Chinese rivals' you refer to, but

if the paint is better than the Chinese Benellis I've seen here,

that would really be quite a paint job.

I have to say that I not visit a black smith since I bought the gate for my house a good amount of years back, but I doubt that he could create any engine or mechanical parts that fit on a modern Royal Enfield.

The looks of a modern Royal Enfield will maybe tell all your sensors that it's technology from the 60s, but looks are deceiving as the engine is actually pretty modern. What looks like a carburetor is actual a electronic fuel injection in camouflaged as a carburetor to keep the authentic look…

As the average owner of a Royal Enfield is not really interested in raw engine performance the engineers at Royal Enfield together with Keihin worked on making the bikes as fuel efficient as possible… The modern Royal Enfield are therefore one of the leaders in fuel efficiency.