Phuket Island View: Tradition of bouncers beating punters

Jonathan Fairfield

Island View: Tradition of bouncers beating punters

post-137452-0-81583700-1445054401_thumb.

PHUKET: The tradition of bouncers beating punters more than likely goes back to the first brewers and distillers. The first confirmed creation of fermented beverages dates back to 6,650 BC.

However, it is widely believed that humans were brewing beverages as early as the Neolithic period (10,000 BC), which very likely indicates a long history of those protecting their fermented drinks by sternly reprimanding family, friends and clients. So what’s all the fuss about these Aussie lads on Soi Bangla?

The real issue, of course, is the fact that it happened in Phuket, a place both exotic and easily accessible to the world.

The story of the five bouncers brutally beating the Australian tourists would not have made international news if it had happened in Glasgow, London or New York City.

However, it happened on the paradise island of Phuket at about the same time the central government has made it clear that tourism is the most important source of revenue for Thailand.

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-10-17

So the argument here is that since this type of behavior has been going on since neolithic times, it's o.k.? That since Phuket is not Glasgow, London or NYC we should just let it go?

This article is tripe. It's been a problem for awhile, a guy stabbed one of these bouncers last year due to an attack.

The aussie lads were smart enough to know not to complain to the cops as they would more than likely been fined a large amount of money for beating up some thugs. Happens in Bali as well. The difference between se asia and the civilised world is you can go the the cops and file a complaint without fear of recrimination.

If you treat tourists which are Phukets bread and butter like this you soon wont have them, there are two many other options and Thailands appeal is fading in a sea of Garbage and Visa red tape, along with all the scams and outright rip offs .Let alone these types of violent attacks , its all but over for Phuket .

I see nobody put a name to this dreadful article.

Phuket ceased to be "exotic" long before I arrived here 11 years ago and the term paradise is bandied around a little too easily in my opinion.

I think the author is probably rooted in the 1970s and 1980s when bouncer beatings were a lot more common in the UK than they are in these much more litigious days.

"The story of the five bouncers brutally beating the Australian tourists would not have made international news if it had happened in Glasgow, London or New York City."

maybe... but in New York the bouncers would be in jail on assault charges , and a 10 million dollar law suit filed against the owners of the club.

That story would make the news.

Edited by NCC1701A

i am just sitting here stunned after reading this article.

Phuket Island Bouncers Beating Punters Festival.

"A new festival has been announced by the mayor of Phuket. The first annual Bouncers Beating Punters Festival celebrating the long tradition of beating the crap out of tourists who visit Phuket will be held next month."

Phuket ceased to be "exotic" long before I arrived here 11 years ago and the term paradise is bandied around a little too easily in my opinion.

I think the author is probably rooted in the 1970s and 1980s when bouncer beatings were a lot more common in the UK than they are in these much more litigious days.

Absolute garbage of a story coming from racist Thais.

The person whose name did appear on the article (if you bother to read the link), Alex Stone, more than likely isn't a "racist Thai" and, therefore, his report actually is less "dreadful" and less "garbage" than these two posts.

Edited by Alration

Tradition of bouncers beating punters!

Some traditions are more acceptable to Thais...than others...

It may be harder to find bouncers...if they take away the perk of beating the crap out of those foreign dogs...

What I find hard to fathom and I do not believe anyone has brought the subject up, is why the police say they cannot lay charges as "no one has filed a complaint "

Surely surely the police with more than enough video evidence can act on their own behalf and that of the Thai and Tourism Community to remove this very kind of common threat from Society.

Firstly a huge fine coupled with a minimum 6 month closure and double that for the next "infringement " to the premises/club,

Instant sacking of security personnel ,charged and fined accordingly accompanied with a life ban from working in the Tourism Industry.

I wish !!

Edited by Kangaloo

Good showpiece why tourism to Phuket and Thailand will continue to go downwards and also why I recommend not reading the Phuket Gazette. It's just so shameful all around.

Oh, but I have to read it. It's so bad it's good. It's like when you see a really bad car accident. You don't really want to see it but you have to look.

"The real issue of course, is the fact that it happened in Phuket"

The real issue is that it happened, and the clown that wrote this article is trying to excuse the behavior of these goons as well as the xenophobic, racist attitude of Thailand!

Who is this Thai apologist monkey that wrote this article?

Edited by Kru Baa

"Hopefully, nextime the victims will have enough faith in Thailand's police force to seek justice"cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Or do you mean hopefully they will be stupid enough?

"Nextime" Yeah because there will be a nextime as nothing will ever happen to these goons.

What have the "justice seeking" Thai police done about it? Even theough the victims didn't report it, the police still know it happened. so......

I am not sure that this would not have made International news if it had happened in another country. Just imagine if 2 Thai guys were on holiday in (any Western country you fancy) were beaten in the same way by the local bouncers and it was recorded on someones phone, would it have gone viral? I suspect it may have. Would the Thais be jumping up and down? I suspect so.

If it were some bouncers beating up a local, maybe not, but the story here is the dangers of holidaying in Thailand. And lets face facts there have been a lot of stories for the press to get their teeth into.

Now the press are like a dog with a bone and they won't let go. Every time some kind of suspicious murder or beating of a tourist happens it will be picked up.

The current murder trial in Koh Toa does not help either as it seems the majority of the world believe this to be a stitch up and are waiting for the verdict in December.

The reality is Thailand has to change its attitude towards tourists and the police have to radically improve their performance in law enforcement and and show that justice will prevail and act as some sort of deterrent (not a slap on the wrist and 100 baht fine).

When this happens and the stories read like as follows:

"2 Ozzie men were beaten badly by bouncers, the beating was captured on a cell phone and has gone viral. The police arrested all 5 bouncers who are facing charges of ABH and if convicted could face a lengthy custodial."

I suspect then the spotlight will come off,,, but until then I suspect we will read more and more and this article does nothing to change my mind about that, in fact it almost feels like a "so what"! This will only damage Thailand's already falling reputation more and more and tourism will decline year on year as holiday makers look for safer alternatives of which there are many.

i am just sitting here stunned after reading this article.

Phuket Island Bouncers Beating Punters Festival.

"A new festival has been announced by the mayor of Phuket. The first annual Bouncers Beating Punters Festival celebrating the long tradition of beating the crap out of tourists who visit Phuket will be held next month."

All you drink between 8pm and 1am for the first punter to have his front teeth kicked out!

Alration, on 17 Oct 2015 - 16:27, said:
madmitch, on 17 Oct 2015 - 12:12, said:

cockatoowho, on 17 Oct 2015 - 12:30, said:

The person whose name did appear on the article (if you bother to read the link), Alex Stone, more than likely isn't a "racist Thai" and, therefore, his report actually is less "dreadful" and less "garbage" than these two posts.

Regardless of the nationality of the writer the article is still open to the listed criticisms and all other derogatory comments made concerning it. The 'author' seems to have no grasp of the subject matter.

What I find hard to fathom and I do not believe anyone has brought the subject up, is why the police say they cannot lay charges as "no one has filed a complaint "

Surely surely the police with more than enough video evidence can act on their own behalf and that of the Thai and Tourism Community to remove this very kind of common threat from Society.

Firstly a huge fine coupled with a minimum 6 month closure and double that for the next "infringement " to the premises/club,

Instant sacking of security personnel ,charged and fined accordingly accompanied with a life ban from working in the Tourism Industry.

I wish !!

I dont understand this either. If the bouncers had killed one of the Ozzie guys he is not going to file a complaint then either, would they act then?

They can do something for sure, they just chose not to, or they have already had their palms greased.

All this fuss before about people hurting the image of Thailand but when a gang of Thais beats up two farangs or similar things happen why doesn't the people involved have to answer to charges regarding damaging Thailand image? Or perhaps they really like this image ?

The article is absolutely nonsensical and somehow tries to excuse what happened as being a quaint local custom. As long as this type of behavior continues, along with the other scams and extortionate local transportation costs, Phuket will continue its downward spiral. People are voting with their feet. No one wants to pay for a holiday and spend their money and get a beating in the process. There has been warning after warning for years. I would't go there if you paid me.

I didn't see the name, despite reading the link. Nor did I make reference to racism.

Thai of foreigner, I don't care. I still think the article is crap.

I wish !!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif No offense intended Kangaloo as I see you are new here, but, what, click your heels together and you're back in Kansas?

I wish !!

Here in Thailand someone must file a writen/signed complaint before the police will act. I don't know if that is the law, or just a custopm, or just the police being lazy and looking for any excuse not to do their pid job.

Phuket Island View: Tradition of bouncers beating punters

Some Thai islands have a tradition of raping and murdering young tourists, too.

Some Thai islands have a tradition of corrupt Thai police covering up dreadful crimes committed by their feudal lords.

Let us all celebrate Thai tradition (from a distance)