Neighbor Built Rooster Shack 20 Meters Away. What's the Law?

I lived in the middle of Bangkok and them next door had some feathered friends who would start up at dawn. And even double glazing and a blanket over your head would not keep the sound out. Now I live in the countryside and the chickens next door come into my garden all the time and the dogs have caught and killed about 10 in the last month. Nothing has been said, but if it is then I've asked the wife to suggest they put up some netting to keep THEIR chickens on THEIR property.

Anyway, I now have a different although similar early morning wake-up call. The local news starts up then via loudspeakers you can hear a couple of kilometres away. Sometimes I hear three villages all broadcasting at the same time.

It's what the Thais do, and you have zero chance of changing anything. All you will do is make enemies, and believe me you do not want to make enemies with a Thai.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Buy a BIG piece of land outside the village.................Wife did 15 rai no neighbours and if any do come they will be far enough away...........until one decides he wants a big fooook off stereo

I'm foreigner, I cannot own land, I cannot afford to buy land and I have no interest in circumventing Thai laws. Even if I could, and did, that does not answer my query.

What's the law?

I suffer from the same problem except the roosters are 5 metres from my window.

I also asked him to move them, and was told to get used to it.

I spoke to a local cop who is sort of a friend and he just laughed.

I went to talk to the kamnun about it, he was sympathetic but told me there was nothing he could do.

So I put in glass windows and that has improved it a bit, but it's been over a year now and I think I am getting used to it, because I sleep through to 7.30 or 8 every morning now.

The law says that anyone is allowed to keep chickens and roosters in their back yard.

I have neighbors that had 2 dogs that would bark at 5:30am every morning when they left for work.After sending over some polite notes and trying to discuss it civilized to no avail, what I did was at 8pm when they went to bed I cranked up my stereo with a12 hour youtube video of dogs barking and then would go out for dinner for a few hours. It didn't take them long to get the point. The dogs are now gone and i sleep much better.

I did much the same except that I made a video of their dog barking, converted it to an MP3, and then played it on an extended loop for them one morning when they returned from working the night shift.

Have not seen or heard the dog since.

not a thing you can do. In fact you should have realised what the outcome would be and not said anything as now he knows what his farang neighbor is like, as if anything happens to his prize rooster or hens who is he coming after ... ?

simple ....... get use to it or move ..

Thanks for your opinion, do you know what the minimum distance must be ?

come on ....... forget minimum distance or noise pollution.

This is rural thailand, you are in a no win situation .... sorry but reality is you cannot do anything.

Can you put up some tree pot plants to create a wall that might lessen the noise impact ... ?

It's not rural Thailand, but a rural enclave on Phuket about 3 kilometers from several 5 star resorts. The villas up on the hill above us go for $ 1 million USD.

I feel quite sure there is a minimum distance requirement and that is my query. Do you know it?

"It's not rural Thailand, but a rural enclave on Phuket about 3 kilometers from several 5 star resorts. The villas up on the hill above us go for $ 1 million USD."

I doubt any laws exist especially for 5 star hotels or $1 million USD (you do realize this is Thailand and not the US??) houses. People keep chickens in urban areas and rural areas. Wild birds, strong winds blowing through trees, thunder, frogs, etc all make noise too.

If you try to pursue this legally or otherwise you'll at best look foolish and make yourself out to be more of a nuisance than the crowing cocks. As someone else said, you'll get used to the sound if you don't get yourself into an imagined state of perpetual grievance.

Consult a lawyer if you like. Tell him/her some chickens are molesting you. The locals will be dining out on that for some time.

I don't know if "fairly rural" and "out in the country" are synonymous. What about me, living right on the outskirts of a fairly large city with no farms for kilometers in any direction, in a small gated community with large lots well-maintained lots and swimming pools and multi-million baht houses and a neighbor who thinks that right under my bedroom window and 100 meters from his house is the perfect place to keep his roosters?

I don't know about the rest of you who are saying "get over or move, TIT" but if I'm going to make some modification to my property I'm at least going to take into consideration if it will negatively impact my neighbors. It's called being considerate and being a good neighbor.

Yeah, thanks. What is it about Thais that so many foreigners allow them to act in completely uncivilised ways? I know plenty of Thais who do not think this is OK behavior- it isn't OK by any standard of common courtesy. This neighbor is now affecting my lifestyle in a obtrusive, rude and selfish manner- and he had a choice to put that hut a lot further away. To defend it is beyond belief. It's.... Thaiophilia.

Well finally, I say Hat's off to the OP! annoyed.gif

79 posts and as far as page 4 of the thread before he maybe got the message and curbed his obsession

with teaching his neighbours some good manners.....

I really do hope that he can let this all go, start afresh and have some joy in his life.

It cannot be good for health to be so angry for so long.

Stress is a killer. beatdeadhorse.gif

partytime2.gifintheclub.gifguitar.gif

Buy some ear plugs...turn on a noise maker of some kind like a fan or air purifier...

Or, take advantage of the time to get out into the morning air to do a little walking before the sun gets up to run you back inside...

Enjoying Thailand is all about attitude...the Thais do not consider a rooster crowing to be a big deal...when in Thailand...do as the Thais do...

I do not recommend going back to your Thai neighbor to complain...you will not win this one...just bring more problems to your door...

There is no law remotely addressing this. If it is on his property, he has a perfect right to have roosters there.

From personal experience I can assure you, you will learn to sleep through it, sooner than you think. Your brain comes to know this is a "normal" noise and to shut it out.

Why would anyone who cant stand the flora and fauna, sights, smells and sounds of the country, buy a house in the countryside?

There are people going through life who are only prepared to see their own limited view.....what is common sense to the majority becomes a major issue to others,no matter where they reside they will have issues in their lives-glad the OP doesn,t live near to me whistling.gif

Why would anyone who cant stand the flora and fauna, sights, smells and sounds of the country, buy a house in the countryside?

There are people going through life who are only prepared to see their own limited view.....what is common sense to the majority becomes a major issue to others,no matter where they reside they will have issues in their lives-glad the OP doesn,t live near to me whistling.gif

Some people should just live in their retirement villages in their Nanny State.

Thailand aint for everyone, for me its great, others might not see it that way.

Wish he lived next door to me, I have a killer amp and speakers in the house, could crank up some music.

Please go home, this country isnt for you, Nanny will give you a cup of Ovaltine before she tucks your sheets in.

If I recall, (and I'm not about to review six pages) the coop is right next to a fence. How about parking your car or truck next to the fence so the exhaust drifts through it to the chicken coop? Properly vented, chickens won't complain for too long, and the owner just might get the idea that whatever's on one side of the fence stays on that side of the fence, including noise and fumes.

Edited by JusMe

remember when you moved here, you said, "this is not my country and i will love all thais!!!! I love this country and will not cause any problems!!"

So give him money to expand his coop!!!! this is the proper way....

I grew up with roosters for neighbours coming from the countryside. Crack of dawn every day.

Made me feel alive and the noise therapeutic.

I also like to hear the birds twitter and sing.

Best feeling in the world.

There are a lot of birds where I'm at, very natural setting but I'm not appreciating the roosters and the rude awakening- anyway can anyone read this? Thanks in advance.

attachicon.gifLaw small.jpg

I'm missing a few words here and there, so I'm not 100% sure...

It basically says that all sorts of animals need to be kept in "suitable" places in order to avoid causing problems for the community, owner or environment. It expands on this mentioning problems that might be caused by dangerous animals, disease (including some specifics) and allergies. Then says "as well as this, annoyances (should be considered) - for example smells, the sound of the animals calling or waste water from washing the animals etc.".

So I'd say you've found something relevant here. But it seems more like guidelines for an official or resident to consider more than a law or by-law per se.

Foook all roosters as far as I'm concerned smile.png

Edit: The main word I was missing is "intent". Which explains why it seems so vague. The main heading of the posted section is "The control of pets and other animals" and the sub-heading is "the intent of the law". So there might be more specifics over the page...

Edited by cocopops

Don't condemn the man, it's Bloody annoying these F*$ Chickens, I tried for a year, my GF was annoyed by them even and she can sleep thru anything, and those guys Mumbling on their trucks in the Moobaan, selling crap, annoying as well, but I must say I Love Thailand, but I Hate this Crap

My house in Southern Phuket overlooks a farm where, among other things, roosters are bred. Their pen is just over the road, probably only 25 metres from my property. They did annoy me initially, but I don't notice their crowing anymore. I've tuned them out.

His ducks sometimes make quite a racket, presumably when snakes try to get at them. (The snake rescue people removed a large python from the netting a few months back.) The buffalo can also be quite noisy at times. The guard dogs in the nearby boat factory often make enough noise to wake the dead.

Despite some noise from the farm, I much prefer living next to it than in a Moo Ban, or among million dollar houses full of unfriendlycharacters from the west.. I get the impression of living in banork land, while still living within minutes of all the amenities that residing in the best province can provide,

The only thing that wakes me early is the little Thai lady who sleeps next to me and insists on getting out of bed at sparrows fart. She loudly clatters around the house as she makes phone calls to her mother and sisters throughout Thailand to discuss the current lucky numbers.

My house in Southern Phuket overlooks a farm where, among other things, roosters are bred. Their pen is just over the road, probably only 25 metres from my property. They did annoy me initially, but I don't notice their crowing anymore. I've tuned them out.

His ducks sometimes make quite a racket, presumably when snakes try to get at them. (The snake rescue people removed a large python from the netting a few months back.) The buffalo can also be quite noisy at times. The guard dogs in the nearby boat factory often make enough noise to wake the dead.

Despite some noise from the farm, I much prefer living next to it than in a Moo Ban, or among million dollar houses full of unfriendlycharacters from the west.. I get the impression of living in banork land, while still living within minutes of all the amenities that residing in the best province can provide,

The only thing that wakes me early is the little Thai lady who sleeps next to me and insists on getting out of bed at sparrows fart. She loudly clatters around the house as she makes phone calls to her mother and sisters throughout Thailand to discuss the current lucky numbers.

Great input but sorry to say that it appears the OP left the thread at post 79#, a couple of pages ago.

Not everyone has a Thai wife ( or even wants one ) yet I have gotten fake doctors charged, noxious fires put out, an impromptu sawmill shut down, ( and neighbors criminally charged for processing protected trees.) Dogs shut up, rooster fights stopped and have lived through all.

Thanks for the advice though.

So in your farmer enclave you are the farang procedural that calls at law for every small inconvenience.
And now you wonder why a local installs a henhouse "legale" nuisance under your windows ?
I'm not surprised.
I would even say that the newcomer has probably the tacit agreement of your other neighbors. Let us add that one must laugh at the vigil evoking cockcrow. As I know them they have to greet with a Kakariko joker.
My opinion is that you've earned what happens to you.
My wish is that you stay near Phuket to not take the risk of having you some day as a new neighbor.

not a thing you can do. In fact you should have realised what the outcome would be and not said anything as now he knows what his farang neighbor is like, as if anything happens to his prize rooster or hens who is he coming after ... ?

simple ....... get use to it or move ..

Thanks for your opinion, do you know what the minimum distance must be ?

come on ....... forget minimum distance or noise pollution.

This is rural thailand, you are in a no win situation .... sorry but reality is you cannot do anything.

Can you put up some tree pot plants to create a wall that might lessen the noise impact ... ?

It's not rural Thailand, but a rural enclave on Phuket about 3 kilometers from several 5 star resorts. The villas up on the hill above us go for $ 1 million USD.

I feel quite sure there is a minimum distance requirement and that is my query. Do you know it?

When I built some extensions to the house (mind you in Patts), I went to the council engineers for approval.

The very nice guy there said no structure can be within 1 metre of the boundary and it can't be an opening window. Think the eves can be within .8 m.

In my plan, all was OK except for the windonw opening in the kitchen wall 1 m from the boundary. Problem!

The engineer asked exactly were we lived, 'Oh, an old part of town', don't upset the neibours, don't make too much dust and noise, and go ahead.

So I would guess, 1 m regarless of chickens, 'old boilers for rent' or what ever the structure is, but I could be wrong.

....good luck with that. Hope it works out for you. What WILL happen is your neighbor will harbor resentment if not already. You might have to watch your back. Please do post six months from now your outcome....