Police road bloke, third road (max @ xcyte)

rws85

And I thought they had been instructed by the chief of police that these road blocks(tea money stops) were to be stopped.

They are becoming a <deleted> pest. Fortunately I live in Jomtien and they seem to leave you alone there but everytime I seem to go into Pattaya on the bike they are there looking for fines

When I was in Pattaya last time, it was an almost daily occurrence (at the Bali Hai overpass).

Wear a helmet, be sobber, have a proper DL and clean documentation/tax sticker.

After that you can start moaning about "tea money".

Its not the "easy going" Thailand of the 80s anymore...

At least not in Pattaya.

Here in the upcountry village still the usual chaos (groups of school kids on bikes, drunks crashing into the greenery, speeding like crazy, kids on meth etc.pp.).

Edited by KhunBENQ

When I was in Pattaya last time, it was an almost daily occurrence (at the Bali Hai overpass).

Wear a helmet, be sobber, have a proper DL and clean documentation/tax sticker.

After that you can start moaning about "tea money".

Its not the "easy going" Thailand of the 80s anymore...

At least not in Pattaya.

Here in the upcountry village still the usual chaos (groups of school kids on bikes, drunks crashing into the greenery, speeding like crazy, kids on meth etc.pp.).

Thank you for pointing out all the things the local Thais don't do .

Cops picking on Farangs again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go do some real road police work, not the tea money BS. bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

I'm sorry, I was mistaken. There wasn't any discrimination, just targeting motorbikes.

One thing I did notice was there was two different tickets being handed out, one with the RTP emblem on the top of the ticket and a ticket number and also one that was exactly the same but without any emblem or number. Maybe these were the tea money ones?

I was pulled over for a left turn on red. Tried to bribe the cop but nooooooo, had to go to the police station. Standing room only, place packed with tourists paying fines.

A few Thais too but a majority, farang.

The police office staff were churning out receipts about every 3 minutes. Maybe 10,000Bt an hour being collected.

Pretty good racket. Rent motorbikes to unlicensed, uninsured tourists, then pounce on them when they turn the first corner.

I believe the Soi 9 Police Station is in the top 5 places visited by tourists.

I'm sorry, I was mistaken. There wasn't any discrimination, just targeting motorbikes.

That was my impression too.

They stop an awful lot of Thais too.

Same here in Khon Kaen (city).

Frequent checkpoints for motorbikes.

About every time I am there (with the car).

They would earn little with the small farang community biggrin.png

Can't remember when being stopped with the car last time.

Must be more than a year.

Why that whining about Thailand?

Whats the difference to your home country?

Are they ethical or are they up for the money?

Don't they simply put speed checks at wide straight roads and cash in? (while communicating "ethical" checks at schools, kindergarten)

Edited by KhunBENQ

I can't complain, ฿400 fine for having incorrect licence class. Quite possibly a money making scam, sure if I had the correct class they could of picked something else.

If this was back home, bike would of been impounded and probably cost more than $500.

I was pulled over for a left turn on red. Tried to bribe the cop but nooooooo, had to go to the police station. Standing room only, place packed with tourists paying fines.

The police office staff were churning out receipts about every 3 minutes. Maybe 10,000Bt an hour being collected.

Pretty good racket. Rent motorbikes to unlicensed, uninsured tourists, then pounce on them when they turn the first corner.

Thought it was legal to do a left turn on a red.

And I thought they had been instructed by the chief of police that these road blocks(tea money stops) were to be stopped.

They are becoming a <deleted> pest. Fortunately I live in Jomtien and they seem to leave you alone there but everytime I seem to go into Pattaya on the bike they are there looking for fines

No, they never received those instructions, instead they were instructed to do it the proper way, and I have a feeling that we gonna see much more large roadblocks everywhere. Which I fully support.

If you do things in Thailand that you got a fine for in your home country why would you expect not to get a fine here ?

And I bet those who complain about tea money wouldn't mind paying a 500 baht fine for being DUI rather than spend 5 years in the monkey house.

Make a choice and take a chance. Up to you.

For Thais I believe it is legal unless a sign says different.

There are signs in front of the red lights telling you where it is NOT legal, i.e. second road / Klang.

No sign => legal

If you do things in Thailand that you got a fine for in your home country why would you expect not to get a fine here ?

And I bet those who complain about tea money wouldn't mind paying a 500 baht fine for being DUI rather than spend 5 years in the monkey house.

I believe it is legal for me to ride a scooter/moped in Australia on a car licence.

I tried to explain this to the officer but was not going to argue with him about it.

Either way I wasn't complaining, ฿400 is not going to break my bank.

The most interesting thing for me out of all of this was the two different tickets being used by RTP. One that seemed official, one that didn't. This was pointed out to me by some Thai people whilst waiting to pay my fine.

There are signs in front of the red lights telling you where it is NOT legal, i.e. second road / Klang.

No sign => legal

Ever considered that maybe at some traffic lights they "forgot" to put up a sign?

I believe it is legal for me to ride a scooter/moped in Australia on a car licence.

I tried to explain this to the officer but was not going to argue with him about it.

Either way I wasn't complaining, ฿400 is not going to break my bank.

I think you overlooked the important fact that third road isn't Australia.

As its such an issue that they could be doing other more important work, maybe they should install cameras and vehicle recognition same as most developed countries....

If they installed cameras, all the fines would be collected legitimately, no tea money/cash in hand for them.

Saying that though, back in July i did get a speeding fine from a camera on the freeway (3) in Chantaburi 400bt fine paid through the post office for doing 126kmh in a 120kmh zone.

So they are starting to use the cameras now in Thailand. I was quite surprised when i got the letter

in the post.

I can't complain, ฿400 fine for having incorrect licence class. Quite possibly a money making scam, sure if I had the correct class they could of picked something else.

If this was back home, bike would of been impounded and probably cost more than $500.

If you had the correct licence class you still wouldn't have been in the clear. They would have then asked you to produce an International drivers permit. If you had that, they would have looked for another reason to give you a ticket.

One foreigner had the correct Thai licence and registration and insurance in order... they fined him 400 baht for not having a photocopy of his green book.

IMO they really were targeting foreigners. The police station was full of foreigners. There should have been a far greater number of Thais paying fines as Thais riding motorcycles without correct docs or helmets outnumber foreigners by a large percentage. Of course they had to stop Thais to make it appear legit, but they were on the hunt for easy revenue.

There are areas in Pattaya where they could pull over thousands of Thais per hour for traffic offenses, but I suspect collecting the money involves a lot more administrative work. Why bother when there's easier money out there.

One person above mentioned they were handing out receipts at one every 3 minutes down at the cop station. I left after 20 minutes because they had only one person processing payments at no more than one every 10 minutes and I didn't want to spend all day there. It's one thing being fined 400 baht, but having to spend hours at the cop station to pay the fine is the real penalty.

If you had the correct licence class you still wouldn't have been in the clear. They would have then asked you to produce an International drivers permit. If you had that, they would have looked for another reason to give you a ticket.

One foreigner had the correct Thai licence and registration and insurance in order... they fined him 400 baht for not having a photocopy of his green book.

IMO they really were targeting foreigners. The police station was full of foreigners. There should have been a far greater number of Thais paying fines as Thais riding motorcycles without correct docs or helmets outnumber foreigners by a large percentage. Of course they had to stop Thais to make it appear legit, but they were on the hunt for easy revenue.

There are areas in Pattaya where they could pull over thousands of Thais per hour for traffic offenses, but I suspect collecting the money involves a lot more administrative work. Why bother when there's easier money out there.

One person above mentioned they were handing out receipts at one every 3 minutes down at the cop station. I left after 20 minutes because they had only one person processing payments at no more than one every 10 minutes and I didn't want to spend all day there. It's one thing being fined 400 baht, but having to spend hours at the cop station to pay the fine is the real penalty.

So what did you get fined for?

This subject comes up regularly and most people who read these forums are aware that you run a risk if you do not have at least an IDP as a tourist or a Thai driving licence if you are a longstayer. Also it has been reported many times that you should have the green book (or at least a copy) when out on the bike. I have been stopped a number of times and politely waved on after producing said documents.

I have also seem more Thais pulled over at traffic stops (especially at the no left turn junction Third and Klang) then foreigners. That is not to say that in this particular instance they were not "targeting" foreigners breaking the law...........wink.png

was this at 2nd and Klang, there's a sign saying u cannot, they make a ton of money that intersection

was this at 2nd and Klang, there's a sign saying u cannot, they make a ton of money that intersection

Pattaya Tai and Klang, coming from Sukhumvit and turning left on 3rd.

I believe its a fairly new sign.

I don't know how it is in Pattaya, but when I got my ticket in BKK I gave it to one of the scooter taxi guys that I use regularly. He came back about 30 minutes later with my DL and a receipt for the 400 baht.

I waited for him in a chaise lounge at the apartment swimming pool. It really wasn't too bad... Just a little warm until I moved the chaise into the shade. I'll probably do that sooner next time.

Edited by impulse

I don't know how it is in Pattaya, but when I got my ticket in BKK I gave it to one of the scooter taxi guys that I use regularly. He came back about 30 minutes later with my DL and a receipt for the 400 baht.

I waited for him in a chaise lounge at the apartment swimming pool. It really wasn't too bad... Just a little warm until I moved the chaise into the shade. I'll probably do that sooner next time.

Excellent.

I will now stand by for the "Motorbike Taxi Stole My Identity" thread.