Sugar is the devil

Tolley

The best thing anyone can do as far as looking to improving their health via diet is to cut out all refined sugar and of course refined carbs.

A new study has shown how much benefit can be gained by just stopping sugar consumption. These kids even continued to eat junk food which of course I wouldn't advise but the harm of sugar is totally underestimated by many.

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-fitness/cutting-sugar-can-improve-health-in-nine-days-20151027-gkkafn.html

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have cut refined sugar out of my diet a long while ago. I will get some into my body because occasionally I eat outside and the water with syrup just a little bit of (sunquick black currant) that i drink. I try to not drink much of it and mainly tea but at times I like something else. Still after a hard workout sugar is not that bad as all the glycogen stores need to be replenished anyway.

But cooking food yourself (make my own bread too) you have total control over the amounts of sugar you get in your system.

Still 1000 calories of sugar and 1000 calories of health food make little difference for weight loss (but a lot for your health) just because something is healthy does not mean you can eat loads of it. I could get fat on raw salmon from Oishy too.

I have cut refined sugar out of my diet a long while ago. I will get some into my body because occasionally I eat outside and the water with syrup just a little bit of (sunquick black currant) that i drink. I try to not drink much of it and mainly tea but at times I like something else. Still after a hard workout sugar is not that bad as all the glycogen stores need to be replenished anyway.

But cooking food yourself (make my own bread too) you have total control over the amounts of sugar you get in your system.

Still 1000 calories of sugar and 1000 calories of health food make little difference for weight loss (but a lot for your health) just because something is healthy does not mean you can eat loads of it. I could get fat on raw salmon from Oishy too.

Well all calories are not made the same.

Calories from sugar are infinitely worse over the long run. They can lead to all types of metabolic diseases as proven by this study.

Calories from sugar are infinitely worse over the long run. They can lead to all types of metabolic diseases as proven by this study.

No they are not the same as i stated that they are bad for your health.. but your body burns them just the same. For fat loss it has almost no influence. Only stated it because some people think that you can eat as much as you want from healthy foods.

No they are not the same as i stated that they are bad for your health.. but your body burns them just the same. For fat loss it has almost no influence. Only stated it because some people think that you can eat as much as you want from healthy foods.

I know you know that, but I just want to mention it again to make things more clear.

If you eat a 1000 calories on sugar on empty stomach, you might get an hour later such a low level of sugar in your blood that you must eat something additional or risk to get knocked off your feet.

I doubt that 1000 calories are always equal. Say 1000 kcal from easy to digest carbs and fat. (carbs fuel the body, fat can be added to your belly). Or 1000 kcal in (just for example) only protein.

Body has to convert protein to sugar and sugar to fat to add it to your belly, that is a rather long way.

Or I bet if you consume the 1000 kcal in alcohol only there won't be much ending as fat. But I have to admit that it is just theoretical, no one will eat only protein or only alcohol.

I know you know that, but I just want to mention it again to make things more clear.

If you eat a 1000 calories on sugar on empty stomach, you might get an hour later such a low level of sugar in your blood that you must eat something additional or risk to get knocked off your feet.

I doubt that 1000 calories are always equal. Say 1000 kcal from easy to digest carbs and fat. (carbs fuel the body, fat can be added to your belly). Or 1000 kcal in (just for example) only protein.

Body has to convert protein to sugar and sugar to fat to add it to your belly, that is a rather long way.

Or I bet if you consume the 1000 kcal in alcohol only there won't be much ending as fat. But I have to admit that it is just theoretical, no one will eat only protein or only alcohol.

Yes you are right ofcourse as 1000 calories from sugar (if taken at once) will give a spike in insulin and the sugar will be stored as bodyfat.

But if you take 1000 calories of sugar or 1000 calories of healthy food (not at once but over say 7 days) they will be treated the same.

Anyway I was just nitpicking as I do agree that sugar is bad for you and I try to avoid it as much as I can.

Yes you are right ofcourse as 1000 calories from sugar (if taken at once) will give a spike in insulin and the sugar will be stored as bodyfat.

But if you take 1000 calories of sugar or 1000 calories of healthy food (not at once but over say 7 days) they will be treated the same.

Anyway I was just nitpicking as I do agree that sugar is bad for you and I try to avoid it as much as I can.

yes agree.......

I remember when I stopped eating sugar a couple of years ago.

I thought I had a healthy diet but then when I counted up roughly how many teaspoons of sugar on average I consumed it was scary....averaged over 20 when I did the maths and I probably missed some because it is hidden everywhere unless you buy and cook all your own food and of course nothing out of packets.

Maybe one or two teaspoons a day might be okay but better to not have any and you will do yourself a big favour.

These are only problems for people that don't exercise.

Exercise a lot, and eat whatever you want.

Exercise little on none, and control your food intake.

It ain't the teaspoons of sugar that's the problem,

It's the 330ml of (almost any) soft drink that contains 20 teaspoons of sugar that's the problem.

Even supposedly healthy soft drinks,

Oshie Green Tea with honey and lemon 880ml 10% fructose + 5% sugar = 120gm sugar = 17 teaspoons of sugar.

It's the 330ml of (almost any) soft drink that contains 20 teaspoons of sugar that's the problem.

Oshie Green Tea with honey and lemon 880ml 10% fructose + 5% sugar = 120gm sugar = 17 teaspoons of sugar.

Is that not overstating it a bit for the Oshie ? (you could be right I never looked at it or drank that much of it) But that would make that 880 ml drink almost 500 cals that is 1/4 or more of what a normal adult can eat in a day.

oishy.jpg

Is that not overstating it a bit for the Oshie ?

Fructose 9.5%, Sugar 5%

post-233622-0-96528200-1446043822_thumb.

Note

They cheat the serving sizes, 1 bottle = 4 servings.

100 Kcal/serving.

Sugar rapidly changes blood sugar levels.

When blood sugar drops it's extremely hard to resist eating something to dampen the drop.

Avoid quick rise in blood sugar levels as it will be followed by a drop that will make you uncontrolled.

i agree, ive kicked the sugar high low cycle, it took a week but i feel healthier and more level

In Thailand, think better cut out ALL Thai alcoholic drinks as the chemicals used to speed up the brewing process are very bad for most health & or metabolisms...then look at what they put in the food & later the pesticides used on the vegetables. Thailand has no oversight.

Just saying if people or this Thread is referring to living in Thailand.

Fructose 9.5%, Sugar 5%

attachicon.gif2015-10-28 21.40.24a.jpg

Note

100 Kcal/serving.

with honey: 0.025% cheesy.gif that is almost homeopathic

In Thailand, think better cut out ALL Thai alcoholic drinks as the chemicals used to speed up the brewing process are very bad for most health & or metabolisms...then look at what they put in the food & later the pesticides used on the vegetables. Thailand has no oversight.

Just saying if people or this Thread is referring to living in Thailand.

if you drink Thai beer....fly back to Germany and drink a German beer you'll taste the difference.....beside chemicals it is dirty in the production. Either the malt/rice or it is the Amylase from fungus.

Fructose 9.5%, Sugar 5%

Note

100 Kcal/serving.

Wow that is extreme, and yes I saw it that they used serving sizes so its 440 cal your calculation was off just a bit but not much. That bottle is a complete meal cheesy.gif

Fructose 9.5%, Sugar 5%

Note

100 Kcal/serving.

Wow that is extreme, and yes I saw it that they used serving sizes so its 440 cal your calculation was off just a bit but not much. That bottle is a complete meal cheesy.gif

The always cheat the service size.......complete unrealistic and with sometimes no "per 100 Gram) it gets a puzzle.

It did make me look at my own sugar drink consumption. It is not much but I still drink some syrup (higly diluted) with water. I think I might ingest by drinking 100 cals a day. Might just cut that out and stay on green tea (hot brewed myself) 100%, and take normal cold water when I want a change. 100 cals is not much but its the same as 5% extra burn per day and that still ads up.

Sometimes one should examine his / her own intake of foods again to see if stuff can be cut out (if you want to loose weight that is). I prefer to eat food not drink calories.

It did make me look at my own sugar drink consumption. It is not much but I still drink some syrup (higly diluted) with water. I think I might ingest by drinking 100 cals a day. Might just cut that out and stay on green tea (hot brewed myself) 100%, and take normal cold water when I want a change. 100 cals is not much but its the same as 5% extra burn per day and that still ads up.

Sometimes one should examine his / her own intake of foods again to see if stuff can be cut out (if you want to loose weight that is). I prefer to eat food not drink calories.

Robblok, you seem knowledgeable on these things. What's your thoughts on tinned fruit? i like it in the UK as its very convenient way to have fruit.

its tinned fruit with light syrup, per 100g, 15g sugar, energy 289kj / 68 kcal. Net weight 312g, drained 175g. i guess i could drain the juice away if too high in sugar.

Robblok, you seem knowledgeable on these things. What's your thoughts on tinned fruit? i like it in the UK as its very convenient way to have fruit.

its tinned fruit with light syrup, per 100g, 15g sugar, energy 289kj / 68 kcal. Net weight 312g, drained 175g. i guess i could drain the juice away if too high in sugar.

I like tinned grapefruit...Did you know it is soooo nice because Hydrochloric acid made it like that and then washed in chemicals so you can eat it... ?

i like grapefruit too, certainly the tinned version is far less bitter than if i bought a grapefruit, but thats not going to happen so tinned is nice. im toying with draining away the juice, there isnt a lot but ive moved away from drinking juice these days

My idea about it is if you can avoid it do it otherwise eat it. These things are only important if you really want to loose weight then take steps like draining the fruit before eating it. As long as the rest of your food intake is good I don't think its much of a problem.

Most of the tea companies make sugar free green tea. NY being conscious of labels, one can avoid alot of junk.

I like tinned grapefruit...Did you know it is soooo nice because Hydrochloric acid made it like that and then washed in chemicals so you can eat it... ?

hydrochlorid Acid you can consume without worry (in moderate amounts), it is also what makes the stomach sour, so you have lots of it already and just add a bit.

Archived