Irish man, 67, hospitalised after speeding smash into speed-limit sign on Patong-Kamala hill

rooster59

Irish man, 67, hospitalised after speeding smash into speed-limit sign on Patong-Kamala hill

1446347237_1.jpg

PHUKET: A 67-year-old Irish man was said to be 'dazed' when pulled from a wrecked black Honda Jazz that he had smashed into a speed-limit sign on the hill between Kamala and Patong early this morning.

A witness to the accident, reported at 4am, gave a statement that they had been tailing the car in another vehicle from Patong, and that when the car started to descend towards Kamala it appeared that the driver began to doze off before speeding off the road and smashing into the speed limit sign. The driver, who was named as Mr Derek John Essen of Ireland, was reported to be conscious but in a sleepy and dazed state when he was removed from the wreck by good samaritans and transported to Patong hospital.

Read more: http://www.thephuketnews.com/irish-man-67-hospitalised-after-speeding-smash-into-speed-limit-sign-on-patong-kamala-hill-54772.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-11-01

Good example that with age there is not always wisdom, as is so often claimed here on Thaivisa. (don't tailgate and drive when sleepy or after drinking)

I wonder about them checking his blood alcohol levels, I wonder if it is the norm after an accident or only when they expect alcohol.

Edited by robblok

Good example that with age there is not always wisdom, as is so often claimed here on Thaivisa. (don't tailgate and drive when sleepy or after drinking)

I wonder about them checking his blood alcohol levels, I wonder if it is the norm after an accident or only when they expect alcohol.

You just can't help yourself, can you?

At 4am in the morning, a 67 year old fool most likely, drinking and driving! What to do with him if he was pissed? Lock him up (no) take his car away (can't) Take his licence, not worth 10 bob in this country! So what is the right thing to do here, the problem is not this time around, he was the only person involved in the accident. The problem is the next time, or the next when he kills someone, a drunk driver is a danger to society. I am not saying he is guilty, i am just curious what people think on this forum, regarding a drunk driver! As far as i am concerned Thailand's roads are dangerous enough!

At 4am in the morning, a 67 year old fool most likely, drinking and driving! What to do with him if he was pissed? Lock him up (no) take his car away (can't) Take his licence, not worth 10 bob in this country! So what is the right thing to do here, the problem is not this time around, he was the only person involved in the accident. The problem is the next time, or the next when he kills someone, a drunk driver is a danger to society. I am not saying he is guilty, i am just curious what people think on this forum, regarding a drunk driver! As far as i am concerned Thailand's roads are dangerous enough!

Whenever I plan a long journey I usually leave home at 4am, I guess that you would think it likely I will be inebriated?

"I am not saying he is guilty..."

Ha, not bloody much! What are you saying then? Perhaps you better read the speculative bogwash that you posted.

But perhaps you were there at the time and witnessed what happened, who knows?

What makes the driver a "fool"?

Ha, not bloody much! What are you saying then? Perhaps you better read the speculative bogwash that you posted.

I said most likely! I also said IF he was pissed.

If it's not about this driver (who comes from a country where he is innocent until proven guilty by the way) leave it out. You don't say where you come from either? My point is if you want to create a conversation about the rights and wrongs of drunk driving then do it. Just have some respect and do it on a separate thread. This guy probably has a family.

Edited by bipper

If it's not about this driver (who comes from a country where he is innocent until proven guilty by the way) leave it out. You don't say where you come from either? My point is if you want to create a conversation about the rights and wrongs of drunk driving then do it. Just have some respect and do it on a separate thread. This guy probably has a family.

Show some respect, why?

With that reasoning, every smoker is a danger to society and should be put in jail..

not that im against that but still..

"This guy probably has a family." - and this guy could have killed a family.

"So what is the right thing to do here" - the right thing to do is have Bangkok style proper metered taxis, freely available, for people to use.

I suggest many would weigh up the risk of driving / riding whilst intoxicated, versus the "reasonable" cost of getting a proper metered taxi home, after a night out.

Currently, we have ridiculously high transport prices that create an incentive to take the risk and drive / ride home whilst intoxicated, thus Phuket having the most dangerous roads in Thailand, and in the world.

Edited by NamKangMan

"So what is the right thing to do here" - the right thing to do is have Bangkok style proper metered taxis, freely available, for people to use.

I suggest many would weigh up the risk of driving / riding whilst intoxicated, versus the "reasonable" cost of getting a proper metered taxi home, after a night out.

Currently, we have ridiculously high transport prices that create an incentive to take the risk and drive / ride home whilst intoxicated, thus Phuket having the most dangerous roads in Thailand, and in the world.

Way off topic now NKM - keep on banging that taxi drum. I do agree with your issue with taxi costs - but this is not the place to make that argument.

Way off topic now NKM - keep on banging that taxi drum. I do agree with your issue with taxi costs - but this is not the place to make that argument.

I couldn't disagree more LIK. Definately on topic.

Are you seriously suggesting there is no direct correlation between Phuket's ridiculously high transport costs, and the amount of traffic, accidents and drink driving / riding occurring on a daily basis on Phuket????

Is this not a thread about a car accident, in the early hours of the morning, involving a POSSIBLY intoxicated driver????

Edited by NamKangMan

Luck of the Irish: zooming tourist survives crash with speed limit sign
Phuket Gazette

pkt.jpeg
Derek John Essen was driving at high speed when his car veered off the road and into a speed limit sign. Photo: Winai Sarot

PHUKET: -- An Irishman narrowly escaped serious injury when his car veered off the road and into a speed limit sign yesterday morning.

Derek John Essen, 67, lost control of the vehicle as he descended the hill between Patong and Kamala, confirmed Lt Col Somnuek Damkham of the Kamala Police.

“An eye witness saw Mr Essen driving extremely fast down the hill at about 4:30am,” said Col Somnuek.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Luck-the-Irish-zooming-tourist-survives-crash/62260?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-11-02

the posts about high tansport costs, ? what planet are you on, ? i can get a taxi from soi 4 to my condo, for 60 baht (3 am ) and a bus to Pattaya, 80 miles for 113 baht, yeah thats expensive,

You clearly do not live on planet Phuket. Tuk Tuk and taxi charges are high, very high. 300 baht just to get them to move a couple of blocks Bus service around the island is cheap (about 30 baht) but the routes are very limited and stop by 18.00

the posts about high tansport costs, ? what planet are you on, ? i can get a taxi from soi 4 to my condo, for 60 baht (3 am ) and a bus to Pattaya, 80 miles for 113 baht, yeah thats expensive,

I live on Planet Phuket. It's a different world to Thailand. smile.png

On Phuket, you will not even get into the back of a tuk-tuk, or open a taxi door, with that money. smile.png

You have obviously never been here.

Sounds like you are familiar with Pattaya. You can go from Pattaya Central to Jomtien Beach in a baht bus for 10 baht, day or night. A similar trip on Phuket is 400 baht, double at night, and even more again if it's raining.

Maybe now you can see the financial incentive to drive / ride intoxicated on Phuket.

Edited by NamKangMan

Inebriation can often lessen the severity of injuries, because the driver can't react and brace for impact, thereby stiffening the body and resisting the forces of impact.

As does falling asleep. Best to be drunk and asleep if you're going to be in an accident.