60-year-old Belgian man found hanged in Patong resort bathroom had financial troubles

webfact

Sad and IMO financial pressures here seem to affect a lot of expats.

Who knows the cause? perhaps lack of business nous, lack of planning and backing capital, perhaps trying to run a business(s) at the behest of a Thai woman, or perhaps he has fallen foul of the recent downturn/slack period here......the list could be just about endless.

The downturn in Patong has affected many businesses as has been mentioned so many times on the "Patong is dead" thread, yet as businesses closed because they were not making any money, someone else comes along and opens them up again and almost always with a Thai partner in tow.

As a matter of interest, does anybody know what restaurants he owned?

Whatever the cause, not a good way to go, RIP.

Most likely put all his eggs in the Phuket basket, with no "Plan B" or escape plan.

A sad story, but it's not like there isn't any information out there warning people of the perils of relationships with Thai women, starting a business in Thailand, and buying property in Thailand.

R.I.P

What a sad lot most of you are that posted on this man's demise. Depression is a serious condition that leads to bad decisions and compounds issues when you think you've lost everything and no one cares or is there to help. That must a very low feeling, I'm sure, I'm glad I've never been there… Too bad that he was so depressed, he felt taking his own life was the only solution… Yet many want to place the blame on a woman just because she's Thai and 30, so less than half his age… No one know's what this man was feeling that was so unbearable that life wasn't worth living any longer. I hope none of you will have to endure his pain. RIP sir as you couldn't find peace on earth.

"was still sitting on the toilet with a rope still wrapped around his neck, which was attached to a window overhead". HOW do you hang yourself while sitting on the bog,i thought weight had to be involved. RIP

If you have a bit of a read about suicide by hanging

, semi suspended is a very common way to do it.

,,,,,,,,,,,,or he passed out on the toilet and his head fell into a rope that was hanging from a window some how,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,RIP, hope he went out broke just in case some crimial was in the wings waiting for a windfall.

If you have a bit of a read about suicide by hanging

, semi suspended is a very common way to do it.

i have a personal experience of hanging due to extreme depression,i was saved by a barking dog

Depression is a terrible disease. Glad you are still with us!

Yawn......so whats new in Phuket or Pattaya. Silly western foreigners are so so common these days in these places. Silly in business ventures and silly in their personal affairs. RIP to the deceased anyway.And I hope that others will learn not to make the same mistakes.

coincidentally before reading this thread I was reading an article on the BBC website (see the link below)

I don't understand why they can't come here and enjoy the place without getting involved in business ventures where just based on so many past examples the odds are firmly against you

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34346620

What a sad lot most of you are that posted on this man's demise. Depression is a serious condition that leads to bad decisions and compounds issues when you think you've lost everything and no one cares or is there to help. That must a very low feeling, I'm sure, I'm glad I've never been there… Too bad that he was so depressed, he felt taking his own life was the only solution… Yet many want to place the blame on a woman just because she's Thai and 30, so less than half his age… No one know's what this man was feeling that was so unbearable that life wasn't worth living any longer. I hope none of you will have to endure his pain. RIP sir as you couldn't find peace on earth.

"Depression is a serious condition that leads to bad decisions" - possibly a "chicken or the egg" scenario, Jimi007.

Did he have a history of depression, which caused him to make bad decisions here, or did he arrive here in good mental health, made bad decisions, which caused his financial loss, thus, depression?

If the later, he's was not the first, and certainly will not be the last.

Edited by NamKangMan