METV Visa - Vientiane, Laos. It's official.

Nothing about providing all necessary (and valid) documents to the appointed place is a "scam". If you are "disinterested," then no need to comment on the question at all.

eing conjured up by the desperate.

@elviajero - Re:

"clearly meant to be applied for in country"

I read the rules as "clearly meant to be applied for in ones home country" - for purposes of validating the requirements are valid. That was the issue with docs provided to Vientiene, if I am not mistaken.

Morally, I see these rules as no different that tax rules - you pay what is required by law, but may also take all legal deductions provided-for by law. Avoiding a pointless plane-trip while providing the required valid documents does not, in any way, "game the system," from my perspective.

Come on , you are deliberately pretending to be in USA .

If not, why not post your pp from Thailand and give the return address as being in Thailand ?

Anyway, best of luck with it .

But with all the possibilities of things going wrong , it may be better to fly home and do things properly

• Like 1

Why is proof of employment required? What does that have anything to do with being a tourist? Some people have loads of money already and do not need to work.

A means of determining a person has a good reason to return home.?

Those with "loads of money" can easily resolve their visa "problems" by becoming members of the Thai Elite program.

Funny how Thailand is having all these first world country requirements all of a sudden.... without being a first world country.

I have to say I have a huge problem with a bunch of old men absolutely salivating over the thought of younger people not be able to enjoy the country long term just because they are not over 50 and not on "proper" visa. How absolutely pathetic. Tourist visa has always been a proper visa. It just reeks of jealousy.

As for Elite Visa no questions asked if you have 500k baht.... how open to abuse is this visa to any half serious criminal. Invest 500k baht and you can be on a rampage in Thailand on all kind of illegal activities for 5 years. For example, I heard Chiang Mai is now full of illegal Chinese developers. Easy solution for Chinese. Buy an elite visa and dry the country of resources. Is this happening? I don't know, but it sure as hell is simple enough. That's just one example.

I am also curious with this visa crackdown if we will see any of the folks of certain race selling hardcore drugs in well known touristy spots. I highly doubt it.

Personally, I am getting married and these visa rules will not affect me in any way. I do suspect that all the 50++ sexpats are in for a huge surprise when the immigration targets them next. One of the possible scenarios is putting the age limit higher and doubling the money in the bank from 800k to 1.6m.

Good luck!

So you are so anti Thai you call them third world.

Why is proof of employment required? What does that have anything to do with being a tourist? Some people have loads of money already and do not need to work.

Those with "loads of money" can easily resolve their visa "problems" by becoming members of the Thai Elite program.

Funny how Thailand is having all these first world country requirements all of a sudden.... without being a first world country.

I have to say I have a huge problem with a bunch of old men absolutely salivating over the thought of younger people not be able to enjoy the country long term just because they are not over 50 and not on "proper" visa. How absolutely pathetic. Tourist visa has always been a proper visa. It just reeks of jealousy.

As for Elite Visa no questions asked if you have 500k baht.... how open to abuse is this visa to any half serious criminal. Invest 500k baht and you can be on a rampage in Thailand on all kind of illegal activities for 5 years. For example, I heard Chiang Mai is now full of illegal Chinese developers. Easy solution for Chinese. Buy an elite visa and dry the country of resources. Is this happening? I don't know, but it sure as hell is simple enough. That's just one example.

I am also curious with this visa crackdown if we will see any of the folks of certain race selling hardcore drugs in well known touristy spots. I highly doubt it.

Personally, I am getting married and these visa rules will not affect me in any way. I do suspect that all the 50++ sexpats are in for a huge surprise when the immigration targets them next. One of the possible scenarios is putting the age limit higher and doubling the money in the bank from 800k to 1.6m.

Good luck!

A seriously pathetic reply. Shame on you for playing a race card,

BTW, I am from Serbia with a Canadian citizenship. I would also call my country Serbia third world.

• Like 1

- 1 month : visa exempt for lot of foreigncountries citizens

- 1 to 3 months : single entry visa

- up to 6/8 months : the new METV

what can be clearer and more simple than the 3 possibilities thailand offers to (real) tourists whistling.gif ????

(whatever the thai or western meaning of tourist)

i really think that lot of people here are making difficult...facepalm.gif it's everyones life coffee1.gif

Good luck!

BTW, I am from Serbia with a Canadian citizenship. I would also call my country Serbia third world.

Personally have no problem with Thailand, possibly my post gave a different impression. Term of third world is a shade offensive to me. Possibly not to you. Could care less about your nationality.

Good luck!

Good God, I pity your future wife.

@elviajero - Re:

"clearly meant to be applied for in country"

I read the rules as "clearly meant to be applied for in ones home country" - for purposes of validating the requirements are valid. That was the issue with docs provided to Vientiene, if I am not mistaken.

Morally, I see these rules as no different that tax rules - you pay what is required by law, but may also take all legal deductions provided-for by law. Avoiding a pointless plane-trip while providing the required valid documents does not, in any way, "game the system," from my perspective.

I read the rules as to be applied for from ones home country and present in the home country. All the conditions point to that fact even if it isn't specified. A plane ticket from the US to Thailand for one.

Morally, if you put a US address as your present address on the application isn't that deception?

I'm sure an honest email to the DC embassy would confirm that you can't do what is being suggested.

Good luck!

Good God, I pity your future wife.

Why do you pity her?

What is the reason for this reply?

Does your 20+ younger wife pity her life?

Just wondering what prompted such a torpid reply?

Good luck!

Personally have no problem with Thailand, possibly my post gave a different impression. Term of third world is a shade offensive to me. Possibly not to you. Could care less about your nationality.

Thailand is a developing Nation still. Just come out to my partners village to see that having water can be a big problem or that Dengue Fever has ravaged half her friends within the area.

Thailand to the average sexpat is a land of honey an beer but they do not get far enough away from the bars an see exactly where their "honey" comes from out at in the badlands of Isaan.

Edited by totally thaied up

Good luck!

Thailand is like an extension to China.

The majority of people in governing positions are of Chinese decent.

Not surprisingly Chinese people runs a bunch of business with or without citizenship in Thailand.

The laws prohibiting you from buying land and running a business is to keep you out of the competition.

Possibly METV will benefit them even more, I would not be surprised.

Also, it's interesting that the current visa application has the following declaration:

* ATTENTION FOR TOURISTS AND TRANSIT VISA APPLICANTS ONLY : You declare that the purpose of your visit to Thailand is for pleasure only and that in no case shall you engage yourself in any profession or occupation while in the country.

I wonder what spin jspill can perform on that!

That's always been the declaration for tourist visas, or words to that effect. Nothing new. If one doesn't have a Thai employer or deriving their income from within the country, then they're not engaged in a profession, in my opinion. Can you cite anything that suggests otherwise?

Take a look at the persona non grata criteria - http://www.thaivisa.com/392-0.html

3. Those who, having entered the Kingdom to take up employment as laborers or practice other forms of manual work that require no special skill or training.

Seems that's what engagement in an occupation is - taking jobs from Thais. We can argue this 'til we're blue in the face but no list of restricted professions mentions telecommuters working remotely. Western companies give telemarketers business visas, one can surmise Thailand just hasn't gotten around to doing that yet, but one day will. Until then it's in a grey area. PM me when anyone is convicted of a crime for blogging on Thai soil and I'll reconsider my actions.

• Like 2

It demonstrates that the applicant has a reason to return to their country and reduces the chance of them staying long term in Thailand and possibly illegally working. In other words their intentions are that of a typical vacationing tourist.

I understand the logic of your thinking here, but, as i have asked before, how many people have employers that would release someone for 6-9 months at a time to even make this sort of multi-entry viable for them as opposed to the other choices available?

It could be argued i suppose that they might make two or three separate holidays by returning to their 'place of work' in between, but how many would that work for?

I have the feeling that the MFA will review the requirements they are asking if they are serious about it.

Flip side of that is that the entire exercise is just a front to get the double and triple entry TVs off the table. Don't be too quick to dispel the white elephant theory............................thumbsup.gif

Edit: To clarify (After re-reading what i have just written), it is not intended to start any conspiracy arguments, just a comment from observation in trying to work out the logic.................wink.png

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

Regarding the need to be permanently resident in the UK in order to apply for the METV by mail... I'm not sure if elvajero is correct in his earlier post. Can a UK born citizen actually lose their status as a permanent resident, otherwise known as indefinite leave to remain?

'Please note that British Overseas citizens, British subjects and British protected persons do not lose their Indefinite Leave To Remain status no matter how long they stay outside the UK.'

http://www.visalogic.net/uk/indefinite-leave-to-remain/4/50

I feel like the 'must be permanently resident' line is referring to non citizens who have permanent residence... they lose that status after being outside of the UK for 2 years. Citizens don't.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 2

Good luck!

Thailand is like an extension to China.

The majority of people in governing positions are of Chinese decent.

Not surprisingly Chinese people runs a bunch of business with or without citizenship in Thailand.

The laws prohibiting you from buying land and running a business is to keep you out of the competition.

Possibly METV will benefit them even more, I would not be surprised.

Been here a bit too long. Wives were not allowed to own land. Lied to the Tessa Baht. Luk Khrung was a refugee. Fined 900 baht in Bangkok for illegal parking while I tried to sort my son's nationality out. All OK now.

I doubt any tourists with "loads of money" who want to visit Thailand for a few months & don't work would spend 500k baht for a Thai Elite visa. Pretty stupid response to that person's question imo... facepalm.gifwhistling.gif

The "illegal" Chinese developers could be investors - you know, the ones with real money?

The Elite visa process is sure to include some rudimentary security checks. Hopefully...

I guess many of their customers will disappear too...

You contradict yourself - if monetary changes are made they will most likely also change the marriage extension requirement. But hey, thats okay - all the current extension holders will be 'grandfathered' in at 400k. Woohoo. facepalm.gif But it will affect you!

You speak about salivating old men but here you are doing exactly the same... Oh yes, I have terrible news for you - unless you die you will also get into your 50s huh.png

"a british address is because it is a DOMESTIC consulate"

You simple haven't got a clue about what you are talking about. It's a British address because you have to be resident in Britain to qualify for the visa.

London website. Postal applications.

Visa Application by post (Applicants must reside permanently in the UK)

Your scheming may well work, but you and your fellow schemers need to man up to the fact that you would be obtaining a visa under false pretences, and stop trying to justify your deception.

I don't think you know what you're talking about either. When permanent residence is brought up it usually refers to immigrants who have been naturalised and given indefinite leave to remain in a country, something which can potentially be lost if then leaving the country for more than e.g. 2 years at a time for the UK.

UK born citizens however never lose permanent resident status.

Less of the 'scheming' or 'deception' labels if you can't cite anything to that effect.

The "illegal" Chinese developers could be investors - you know, the ones with real money?

The Elite visa process is sure to include some rudimentary security checks. Hopefully...

I guess many of their customers will disappear too...

You contradict yourself - if monetary changes are made they will most likely also change the marriage extension requirement. But hey, thats okay - all the current extension holders will be 'grandfathered' in at 400k. Woohoo. facepalm.gif But it will affect you!

You speak about salivating old men but here you are doing exactly the same... Oh yes, I have terrible news for you - unless you die you will also get into your 50s huh.png

You don't need 400k to get a marriage extension. I like to travel and can apply for a new extension 4 times a year. I can also show my income from overseas.

I also think they can do more damage to retirement visa holders than to married couples.... but I do agree. If they decide to tighten the screws everyone will be affected.

BTW, I am not complaining about anyone over 50... that is just silly. I am displaying my dissatisfaction of certain members this age with their holier than though attitude.

Like I said. It reeks of jealousy.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum
  • Like 2

Also, it's interesting that the current visa application has the following declaration:

* ATTENTION FOR TOURISTS AND TRANSIT VISA APPLICANTS ONLY : You declare that the purpose of your visit to Thailand is for pleasure only and that in no case shall you engage yourself in any profession or occupation while in the country.

I wonder what spin jspill can perform on that!

That's always been the declaration for tourist visas, or words to that effect. Nothing new. If one doesn't have a Thai employer or deriving their income from within the country, then they're not engaged in a profession, in my opinion. Can you cite anything that suggests otherwise?

Take a look at the persona non grata criteria - http://www.thaivisa.com/392-0.html

3. Those who, having entered the Kingdom to take up employment as laborers or practice other forms of manual work that require no special skill or training.

Seems that's what engagement in an occupation is - taking jobs from Thais. We can argue this 'til we're blue in the face but no list of restricted professions mentions telecommuters working remotely. Western companies give telemarketers business visas, one can surmise Thailand just hasn't gotten around to doing that yet, but one day will. Until then it's in a grey area. PM me when anyone is convicted of a crime for blogging on Thai soil and I'll reconsider my actions.

Again you are quoting irrelevant clauses in the immigration act. Section 34 tells you what you can do.

You don't need 400k to get a marriage extension. I like to travel and can apply for a new extension 4 times a year. I can also show my income from overseas.

It isn't that straightforward, regarding extensions - but that is for a different thread.

I will say though the only income one can use must be earned in Thailand with a Thai work permit, so the 400k becomes a very important amount and hopefully nothing will change that.

Good luck with your upcoming marriage.

Good luck!

Yeah - and you watch that Elite visa, it will rocket up in price like a 1980's mortgage - honestly I would get one now if I could, but give it 3 or 4 years and the only people who will be able to afford an elite visa will be the ones who can afford to buy yachts.

All of it - every bit of it, at its most fundamental level comes back to one thing:

peddling nationalism.

Again you are quoting irrelevant clauses in the immigration act. Section 34 tells you what you can do.

I'm a tourist, or 'touring' as it says in Section 34. Where does it say I can't earn a living from an offshore source, in a foreign currency, while touring?

In fact I'm not wanted here if I can't!

2. Those who have no appropriate means of earning a living once they have entered the Kingdom.

http://www.thaivisa.com/392-0.html

It isn't that straightforward, regarding extensions - but that is for a different thread.

I will say though the only income one can use must be earned in Thailand with a Thai work permit, so the 400k becomes a very important amount and hopefully nothing will change that.

Earned in Thailand is not quite right.

"a british address is because it is a DOMESTIC consulate"

You simple haven't got a clue about what you are talking about. It's a British address because you have to be resident in Britain to qualify for the visa.

London website. Postal applications.

Visa Application by post (Applicants must reside permanently in the UK)

Your scheming may well work, but you and your fellow schemers need to man up to the fact that you would be obtaining a visa under false pretences, and stop trying to justify your deception.

I don't think you know what you're talking about either. When permanent residence is brought up it usually refers to immigrants who have been naturalised and given indefinite leave to remain in a country, something which can potentially be lost if then leaving the country for more than e.g. 2 years at a time for the UK.

UK born citizens however never lose permanent resident status.

Less of the 'scheming' or 'deception' labels if you can't cite anything to that effect.

OMG..... It says "Applicants must reside (live) permanently in the UK (not live in Thailand). It says nothing about residency status.

Residing permanently in the UK would apply if a citizen or someone with permanent residency or anyone else that qualified for the visa. The person must live in the UK if they want to apply by post. It's obvious that they have specified this so that people don't get the bright idea of applying whilst abroad.

Great! I'll teach English with my Serbian accent. I have a degree.

Competition is going to get a lot smaller, anyway.

degrees are old rope mate - got a 1st Hons myself, tried teaching - the kids were grrrrrreat, but the staff room was poison - 'bow to us', errr 'no, no i won't' was my experience of all that - but the kids loved guns, bombs and supermassive interstellar black holes (3 fish), we literally had teachers coming in from nearby classrooms to see what all the cuffufal was all about - you never seen kids go crazy like it!!!!!!

OMG..... It says "Applicants must reside (live) permanently in the UK (not live in Thailand). It says nothing about residency status.

Residing permanently in the UK would apply if a citizen or someone with permanent residency or anyone else that qualified for the visa. The person must live in the UK if they want to apply by post. It's obvious that they have specified this so that people don't get the bright idea of applying whilst abroad.

It isn't obvious it's about preventing mail applications at all. If it was they'd write 'no postal applications from outside the UK'.

I read it as meaning METVs issued there are intended for UK born nationals or naturalised citizens. I don't think I'm the only one who'd read it that way. Whenever the words residence and permanent come up, that's usually what it means, not what you write in parenthesis.

Just like in OP the Vientiane link says you need a Laos permit to stay, nothing to do with physically living there year round or anything like that. The issue is legal permanent residence not where in the world a person actually eats and sleeps.

Edited by jspill

degrees are old rope mate - got a 1st Hons myself, tried teaching - the kids were grrrrrreat, but the staff room was poison - 'bow to us', errr 'no, no i won't' was my experience of all that - but the kids loved guns, bombs and supermassive interstellar black holes (3 fish), we literally had teachers coming in from nearby classrooms to see what all the cuffufal was all about - you never seen kids go crazy like it!!!!!!

What have three fish got to do with anything? Worried about the kitchen now.

• Like 1

well you see a gun 'kills' 1 fish, a bomb 2 and an interstellar supermassive black hole.....'3' I mean it worked like nothing else for the 11-12's, can't remember the names they have for schools 'mattayum' or something, but you also got a rather more cryptic appreciation from the 15-16's contemplating the relative scale of destruction for such things and a rather inquisitive '3 fish teasher' *frowns* - 'yep, 3 fish for one of those'. Teaching is absolutely priceless in this country - it's just the adults who ruin everything.

you will find me on the market reading some casual reader book about quantum mechanics, cosmology, mathematical reality these days whilst my lady works the veg, I got in to it whilst contemplating my own death - like so many do - in pattaya a few years ago, just to put my mind at rest cometh the worst - I am prepared for the METV lols!!