Triumph Motorcyles sets up Thai firm as sales rocket

webfact

Triumph Motorcyles sets up Thai firm as sales rocket

30272851-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- BRITISH MOTORCYCLE brand Triumph is set to roar ahead with the establishment of Triumph Motorcycles (Thailand) as the country's big bike market witnesses a surge in sales.

Sales of Triumph motorcycles reached 254 units in 2014, but have skyrocketed to more than 1,400 so far this year.

Triumph's history in Thailand dates back over fifty years, when the English-made motorcycles made their first appearance in the Kingdom. In 2002, a Triumph factory was set up and Britbike became Triumph Motorcycles' partner and importer in 2007.

With the launch of Triumph Motorcycles (Thailand), the company will directly handle all aspects of the business, including sales and marketing activities, in coordination with all its distributors, including Britbike, executives said.

"Our products are marketed in over 60 countries worldwide and Thailand is considered a strategic market in the Asia- Pacific," said Triumph Motorcycles' Sales and Marketing director Paul Stroud. "Triumph made an important decision 13 years ago to open a production facility in the country, and we have kept enhancing and expanding this factory ever since. Managing the brand directly has indeed always been part of our long-term plan. This will enable us to bring a wider range of motorcycles and other products to Thailand, and provide strategic support to marketing, sales and after-sales services. To implement all these, we are counting on our close collaboration with our network of distributors to make the brand stand out even more."

"Our products are marketed in over 60 countries worldwide and Thailand is considered a strategic market in the Asia- Pacific," said Triumph Motorcycles' Sales and Marketing director Paul Stroud. "Triumph made an important decision 13 years ago to open a production facility in the country, and we have kept enhancing and expanding this factory ever since. Managing the brand directly has indeed always been part of our long-term plan. This will enable us to bring a wider range of motorcycles and other products to Thailand, and provide strategic support to marketing, sales and after-sales services. To implement all these, we are counting on our close collaboration with our network of distributors to make the brand stand out even more."

Triumph's factory is located at Amata Nakorn Industrial Estate in Chon Buri, with manufacturing being spearheaded by a team of key personnel from the UK and Thailand, together with more than 1,000 employees. Over 40,000 motorcycles are produced each year at this site for local sales and export to more than 40 countries, including the UK.

Triumph Motorcycles (Thailand) general manager Jakkrapong Santirat said the brand would be present at the Motor Expo 2015. This will be the first time the company is joining the event.

"I can reassure you that bike enthusiasts can expect something really big at the show. We aim to sell a total of 1,500 motorcycles in Thailand by the end of this year," he revealed.

Meanwhile, Britbike managing director Dom Hetrakul said: "There are new opportunities resulting from the big bike trend. If we would like to exploit this great potential, structural change is needed to capture growth, so it makes sense that a direct subsidiary has been set up to manage the business. After the transition early this year, Triumph Motorcycles (Thailand) has implemented several strategic plans resulting in an exponential increase in sales.

"During the first 10 months of 2015, we achieved record sales of 1,400 units compared to 257 units in 2014. We could not be any happier. I am very pleased to support this positive change, and our excellent relationship and cooperation can only get better as Britbike takes on its new role as Triumph Motorcycles' major dealer in the country. We will now focus more on sales, promotional activities and after-sales service, which are also key factors in business development."

There are currently seven Triumph Motorcycles outlets nationwide - two in Bangkok (Triumph Britbike RCA, Triumph Britbike Rangsit) and five upcountry (Triumph Britbike Chiang Mai, Triumph Khon Kaen, Triumph Ubon Ratchathani, Triumph Hat Yai and Triumph Phuket).

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Triumph-Motorcyles-sets-up-Thai-firm-as-sales-rock-30272851.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-13

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Biggles, I understand what you are saying.

All boils down to TAX,TAX,TAX.

When I was living on Koh Samui, we bought a new ford fiesta,made in Thailand,and it was 4k dearer than OZ

Very few people pay personal income tax, and the government needs the cash.

So......TAXTAXTAX.

If they would re introduce the Triumph 650 of the 1960s, I would pick one up in a heart beat.

That was a real mototcycle.

No plastic...thank you very much!

attachicon.gif1a1.jpg

Lovely picture.

I had a BSA at that time which had an engine that looked remarkable similar. Wonder if BSA will be resurrected to win the scrambles I used to enjoy so much.

Their sales are about 200 per dealership this year after the big pric3 reduction. Seems they need a big profit margin or they need to close shop.

Some dealers sell other makes too?
Correct. Here in Ubon we have possibly the biggest bike dealers that I have ever seen.M2 Motorsports sell Triumph, KTM, MV Agusta and lastly Stallion.

Not fully clear what the article is saying.

Are Triumph gonna do a Honda and have dedicated Big Wing style showrooms called Britbikes that sell Triumphs, only Triumphs and nothing but Triumphs (so help me God)? Honda do this in the UK to the annoyance of established motorcycle dealers.

Not fully clear what the article is saying.

Are Triumph gonna do a Honda and have dedicated Big Wing style showrooms called Britbikes that sell Triumphs, only Triumphs and nothing but Triumphs (so help me God)? Honda do this in the UK to the annoyance of established motorcycle dealers.

There's a Triumph showroom here in the Rangsit area. Triumph only, and the Triumph logo over the showroom. Nice place too. They were more than willing to hook me up.

If they would re introduce the Triumph 650 of the 1960s, I would pick one up in a heart beat.

attachicon.gif1a1.jpg

If it didn't slip out of your fingers from all the oil leaks (or the anti rust technology as some people still call it)

Beautiful photo though

Preferred Norton myself.

Edited by Mudcrab

attachicon.gif1a1.jpg

If it didn't slip out of your fingers from all the oil leaks (or the anti rust technology as some people still call it)

Beautiful photo though

Preferred Norton myself.

Times change (think Skoda). Even the last 'Meridan' style triumphs didn't leak and were super reliable, I had one and will buy a new (Thai made) Triumph in a heart beat.

It's in my (family's) blood/heritage. They have moved with the times ( see 2016 Bonnie with ABS/rider modes/USB ports) unlike some other brands that are struggling now (mentioning no name).

LOL. "It's in my blood". Set into various tattoos i have, the word and logo of Triumph, can't be arsed to look and count, but its over 5. Have a pre unit engine tatt, and have the engine number of the bike below tatt. Bought new on April the 25th, 1979, aged 18 odd. Still have it today. Thats a lot of years of ownership. Will never be sold, and my son gets it when i pop my clogs. Been in many reincarnations inc rigid frame, 870cc, though looks like this basically since 95, and been 830cc since about 97.

TRIUMPH LOVE:

post-139129-0-72152800-1447465679_thumb.

attachicon.gif1a1.jpg

You took the words right out of my mouth, in 1984 I rode one for a week with no biking experience at all, save for owning a Villiers 50 at the age of 13/14. At one point I ran out of petrol on the M4 and a policeman sold me a gallon he had, I then kick started the bike and road away immaculately.

So, either I am a bloody genius, or it demonstrates what a well balanced and well designed, easy to ride bike this was.

Judging by all this talk of tax and how cheaper it is abroad, in the UK too, I think..and how they are labeled as being made in England here, one can draw only one conclusion..... They export 100% of what they make here.

Bring back the original 650 Bonny, add an electric starter, as I am not as young as I was, sell it for 250k baht and I'll sell my Lifan, NV and even the wife and buy one.

A lot of uneducated comments about Triumph made here, I have owned 4 Triumphs ,2 old bonneys, one new one and a new R3. The last two Triumphs I brought in Bangkok. The new bikes are far superior to the old ones in reliability and power, even thought I still like the nostalgia of the old ones.

I purchased T100 in 2008 from Brit Bike, great people and service there. I rode it all over Thailand it never missed a beat. I purchased a R3 in 2010 and have done 28000 kms all over Thailand Cambodia and Laos in 40c plus heat , floods and Thai roads, and havent put a spanner to it unlike my mates HD. The new Bonney is great for around town little small for epic rides even though it will handle it, the Thais are buying them like crazy as they look great,handle great and are just the right size for around town and at 450K its a bargain. I going to buy new model T100 as soon as I can get one for around town bike.

So to the uneducated posters go a look and ride one before you comment.

attachicon.gif1a1.jpg

If I'd stayed in England when I retired, a classic bike would have been my first buy. Expensive these days, but so is a wife and two kids. At least when a bike throws a wobbler you can just lock it in the garage until you are ready to deal with it.

I have two in my shed!

The "big" news will likely be the introduction of the new watercooled thruxtons and bonnies.

If you fancy an aircooled style better get in quick.

No more scramblers either. The last few in thailand got sold fast.

I recommend you test ride a Street Triple or a Speed Triple

Just awesome

smile.png

then go test the FZ09, you'll be laughing your pants off at the triumphs after that. 1.2 million was the last price i got for a base model speed triple. DELETED. 435,000 for the FZ and 10 times the rideability of the triumph.

before getting the FZ i enquired about a sad and tatty 09 street triple in britbike.....which didnt have a white plate. 500,000bt. it had 23000km on the clocks.......and a service sticker under the saddle saying it was last serviced at 64000KM

2 years later its still knocking around pattaya and the same price..........DELETED.......

Interested to know if the specs and speed are as good as the homda, kwacker or the like, bygone days wouldn't even look at a triumph let alone buy 1.

But must add that the picture posted here looks delicious.

Guess you have't heard of the Street and Speed Triples then, votes best naked bikes for years - Google is your friend

Is this lack of reliability true, or just another Japanese propaganda myth that us self deprecating Brits choose to believe? Remember this was a while ago too, but my mate's Bonny I borrowed for a week in December '84, was a 1979 model and he rode that from Slough to Bristol Uni every week for 6 years. He rode it down to southern Spain and Portugal a few times too and only sold it cause he a baby on the way, tells me he regretted it ever since.

I spoke to him recently and asked him about it and he has two complaints, one, a couple of gaskets had to be replaced due to oil leaks and he claimed it is the reason he now had a bad hip. Kicking the bike over every morning and evening.

At around the same time Klaus a German friend of ours bought a brand new big Yamaha/Kawa (don't recall which), he had it a fortnight and the chain snapped. This caused the gearbox to explode and that bike was off the road for 18 months waiting for spares.

In the mid 80's I bought a 650 Kawasaki for an employee of mine and it was nothing but trouble, sold it after 6 months and lost half my money, spares being the main problem. Thinking I could ride, after my easy week on the Bonny, I tried to ride the Kawa and it was an absolute pig.

That was my experience of bikes in the 70's/80's/90's, but I had lots of these so called "unreliable" British cars, but had to wait and buy a Toyota Celica before I had a car break down, so I couldn't get home.

Actually I did have a bike (plaything) of my own for about a year an Aprillia 350 trials bike and that never failed to start, so I have always thought Jap reliability was something of a myth. Nowadays, with the exception of our Wave, a fine machine, haven't had too much luck here either with Jap stuff.

Like I said I would choose a Bonny tomorrow if I had the funds, but wish they still did the 650.

DELETED...

Except... er, if it was a 79, it would have been a 750...

And in fact, if it was a 79, it would have been a T140E (79-83), rather than a T140V (73-78). To the unassuming, the same motorcycle. To the knowledgable, and enthusiasts, a vastly different motorcycle. Better fit and finish inc fantastic paintwork, better quality control, smoother - better balanced crank and rods assy, 3 phase alternator (180w from 120w), better rectifier, negative earth electrics (a first for Triumph), Lucas Rita electronic ignition (first Triumph without points), Amal mk II carbs. Like day and night. Vastly more reliable. Like chalk and cheese. As 650s are compared to 750s...

650's were last sold in 74, and manufacture stopped in 73. 71 - 77 there was some hideous reliabilty and quality control issues, not just with Triumph , but the whole industry, cars, motorcycles, trucks, buses etc.

Since the end of the sixties, unions, and very poor management succeeded in bringing to an end, what was, once, a fantastic industry with marvelous products, and craftmanship, all on worn out tooling with little factory investment. Read the book by Bert Hopwood, "Whatever Happened To The British Motorcycle Industry" - and weep. Bert, along with Doug Hele were icons of the industry in the 50's-70's.

Modern Hinkley Triumphs are just that - modern. Super reliable, as reliable as anything else made, generally over engineered compared to Japanese (and especially Ducati) products, and have excellent dealer networks worldwide. By all accounts, and what i have read, their dealers and service quality is in a different league to Japanese/BMW/Ducati over here in Thailand. However, compared to the old Meriden bikes - they aint got no soul, man.