The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Back from Vientiane. If I had to do this run every 3 months, I would not for certain stay in Thailand. It was just 4 days of travel, dealing with embassy's and being in lines all the time. Not to mention expensive. I suppose I am not one to do things on the cheap saying at nice hotels, having private drivers, going out to night spots and during the day, travelling a few hours drive outside Vientiane to get a feel for the place.

Well we on tourist visas still have to do a border run every 3 months. Not a huge amount of difference between a border run to activate another entry, and one to get a new visa, if you pay the touts to deal with the consulate for you.

That's what I do, along with the nice hotels part, going out sightseeing etc.

For me every border run was exactly the same actually, whether it was at the 3 month or 6 month point of the old double entries. Rather than just turn around and come straight back to activate the second entry, I'd make it a mini-break and spend a few days in the country. Then if it was a run to get a new visa as well, I'd just stop by one of the touts on my way for a massage. They do all the waiting in line and deliver your passport to you at your hotel the next day.

So that part of your post is confusing to me. I'd definitely still be living in Thailand instead of Scunthorpe or wherever if all I had to do was get on a plane every 90 days.

• Like 2

Totally thaied up.

Thank you for the report.

Yes. Good report. 'Haven't been in Vientiane for a visa in 10 years and I do not miss it except for the French food.

So the Thai Embassy is following (at least for now) the official pronouncements on visa policy. Whodda thunk.

Well we on tourist visas still have to do a border run every 3 months. Not a huge amount of difference between a border run to activate another entry, and one to get a new visa, if you pay the touts to deal with the consulate for you.

Depends where you live!

From Pattaya a visarun is a day trip to Cambodia and you are back at 2pm.

A new visa imply to go to Vientiane and it's an expensive 3 days trip!

• Like 1

Jesus, don't be so bitter!

Not everyone thinks marriage is this big important thing. I know I certainly don't.

You ever thought when the 'farang' says to his Thai missus that he might have to leave because he can't stay any longer that 'she' might have said "well, lets get married!" Wonder how many 'farangs' wives got married 'for love'?

Too many sanctimonious w****** on this site who think they are special and only they should be afforded the right to stay here. "Marry for love only" was posted before.

People are going to start getting married in order to get a visa. This is a fact. Get used to it.

Marriages of convenience have long existed, often used as a means of immigrating to first world countries. I personally find such arrangements rather tacky. Everyone should be free to run their lives the way they see fit. For myself, I still have the old-fashioned view that marriage should be a unique lifelong commitment, not something used to make filling out immigration forms easier, and disposable once it is time to move on. If the girlfriend realizes she is just a cheap way for her boyfriend to stay in the country, and chooses to grab the house, car and anything else she can lay her hands on, I do not really blame her. Equally tacky and equally legal.

Anybody saying "Go home for METV" raises suspicion for me

I can name half a dozen of European consulates equally if not more demanding than some in SEA available for non-residents.

That's what seem to be the latest MFA message is, but sorry I don't see the point of flying to all the way to Europe to be asked more documents than in the region.

Back from Vientiane. If I had to do this run every 3 months, I would not for certain stay in Thailand. It was just 4 days of travel, dealing with embassy's and being in lines all the time. Not to mention expensive. I suppose I am not one to do things on the cheap saying at nice hotels, having private drivers, going out to night spots and during the day, travelling a few hours drive outside Vientiane to get a feel for the place.

For me every border run was exactly the same actually, whether it was at the 3 month or 6 month point of the old double entries. Rather than just turn around and come straight back to activate the second entry, I'd make it a mini-break and spend a few days in the country. Then if it was a run to get a new visa as well, I'd just stop by one of the touts on my way for a massage. They do all the waiting in line and deliver your passport to you at your hotel the next day.

So that part of your post is confusing to me. I'd definitely still be living in Thailand instead of Scunthorpe or wherever if all I had to do was get on a plane every 90 days.

For 4 days it cost me 20,000 baht. I would be better off with a TE Visa. No, I would not stay if I had to go every 90 days now. Just spending 2 days playing around the gates of the Vientiane Embassy is enough for me. Even though my partner and I had a good time, I got much better things to do then be in Laos.

You cannot pay the Touts in Vientiane any more. You have to do everything yourself. Be aware you need to also have a real address to give the embassy. I was asked when applying for my Non Imm, to show proof of address. I had my Town House contract and the ID card copy of the owner. They seem to be serious about this.

For 4 days it cost me 20,000 baht. I would be better off with a TE Visa. No, I would not stay if I had to go every 90 days now. Just spending 2 days playing around the gates of the Vientiane Embassy is enough for me. Even though my partner and I had a good time, I got much better things to do then be in Laos.

You cannot pay the Touts in Vientiane any more. You have to do everything yourself. Be aware you need to also have a real address to give the embassy. I was asked when applying for my Non Imm, to show proof of address. I had my Town House contract and the ID card copy of the owner. They seem to be serious about this.

And if you are in a hotel? Just put Marriott.

I can name half a dozen of European consulates equally if not more demanding than some in SEA available for non-residents.

That's what seem to be the latest MFA message is, but sorry I don't see the point of flying to all the way to Europe to be asked more documents than in the region.

Kitsune, they are being serious this time around. Nothing suspicious to me at all. I saw a few things at the Embassy that made me feel that they have changed. I watched a few officials deal with some people that were out of line this time around. Just to say, I will follow things to the letter of the law here as I am too close to retirement age and do not want to stuff things up in the future.

Looking at the backpackers streaming over the borders today and yesterday, tourism certainly is not slowing down.

• Like 2

Kitsune, they are being serious this time around. Nothing suspicious to me at all. I saw a few things at the Embassy that made me feel that they have changed. I watched a few officials deal with some people that were out of line this time around. Just to say, I will follow things to the letter of the law here as I am too close to retirement age and do not want to stuff things up in the future.

Looking at the backpackers streaming over the borders today and yesterday, tourism certainly is not slowing down.

You are not answering the point I was making.

My country, like many, has more requirements than locals consulates, please tell me why I should "GO HOME"?

• Like 1

My country, like many, has more requirements than locals consulates, please tell me why I should "GO HOME"?

Okay, say if I wanted to get a Visa for my partner back to my home country, she cannot apply for that Visa in Australia? She has to go be in Thailand and I have to go through a great deal more pain then just to get on a plane to go home to apply for a Visa for her. The METV requirements might suck but really, if you cannot met these requirements, they do not want you here. Just go to the amount of threads around on people saying they are under 50 living in Thailand (an most likely working) and they live off $300 a month. Thailand I feel does not want you here if you are in that form of character. The MFA has decided what it wants to do and we just have to follow the rules. I think the rules stink but hell, you just have to follow the law.

Because what you Want is no longer available within the Region ?

• Like 1

Because what you Want is no longer available within the Region ?

Says who?

metv is available at least in malaysia and srilanka for non-residents

Thats definately closer than Europe

I could even fly to your country Australia Canberra (6000THB with airasia ) and get a METV for virtually zero requirements.

Again why should I "Go home for METV"

Do you know for a fact tht Canberra is ignoring the MFA directive on residency? Do you have a link for anyone anywhere getting an METV without meeting the residency requiremenr?

• Like 2

I could even fly to your country Australia Canberra (6000THB with airasia ) and get a METV for virtually zero requirements.

Do you know for a fact tht Canberra is ignoring the MFA directive on residency? Do you have a link for anyone anywhere getting an METV without meeting the residency requiremenr?

It is suggesting you need a current Australian Visa and if you come from a 'undesirable' country, getting a Australian Visa is not fun. Add the costs of the flights, costs for a Australian Visa (depending on Country), costs of hotels (you must post your passport and the last time I did that I had a 10 day turn-a-round to get my passport back), that is just the start of it. Taxis to airports, etc, etc does not sound cheap and 'easy' to me.... and your costs of air flights is a little out. A return trip of me at the cheapest levels is still 18,000 baht.

Edited by totally thaied up

just do the online pre application on Canberra website.

All you need is an EVISA proof which is free entry in australia for 90 days for european such as myself.

According to the Canberra website as long as a non citizen has an "Australian Electronic Visa" they qualify. It seems like a similar requirement to the US that will issue an METV to foreigners holding a US visa.

The question is; what is an Australian Electronic Visa. If it's a standard tourist visa then many non Aussies will be able to get the METV.

Documents Required:

• Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page);
  • A completed and signed application
  • One passport-size photograph (3.5 x 4.5 cm.) taken within 6 months with a full-face view without hat or glasses. (Photocopy not accepted);
  • A copy of the biographic page of your passport or travel document;
  • A copy of airline ticket confirming the date of your first and second entry into Thailand within the validity period of visa;
  • If you are not an Australian citizen, a proof of Australia Electronic Visa is required.

just do the online pre application on Canberra website.

All you need is an EVISA proof which is free entry in australia for 90 days for european such as myself.

Interesting, no mention of Funds or Proof of Employment on their online application page either...http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa

Edited by JB300
  • Like 1

Documents Required:

• Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page);
  • A completed and signed application FORM A;
  • One passport-size photograph (3.5 x 4.5 cm.) taken within 6 months with a full-face view without hat or glasses. (Photocopy not accepted);
  • A copy of the biographic page of your passport or travel document;
  • A copy of airline ticket confirming the date of your first and second entry into Thailand within the validity period of visa;
  • If you are not an Australian citizen, a proof of Australia Electronic Visa is required.
Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 1

Just go to the amount of threads around on people saying they are under 50 living in Thailand (an most likely working) and they live off $300 a month. Thailand I feel does not want you here if you are in that form of character.

Although the people who live here in Thailand and are under 50 are more likely to be landlords with property back home, D.N.s . Self sufficient pwople

There are very few, if any felangs taking jobs from Thais .

Thailand has literally millions of illegal workers from neighboring Countries,

Its like none of you does any research at all?

Before telling people what to do with their life (Go home), check your facts !

No, I do my research. For low season PROMO airfares to Sydney not in peak time from Bangkok, you are looking at 22,000 baht return. I just checked and that is FACT. You then need to get to Canberra or rent a hotel in Sydney, one of the most expensive countries for rental in the world for a week.

Man, you go to be pretty desperate not to want to go home to Europe as you are not going to get much change from 35,000 to 40,00 Baht for just a METV ...

• Like 1

So again please someone tell me why I should go home for METV?

Depending upon your country, it might take you less time and not spending a week or two staying in a country for no reason other than to get a visa.

Edited by JLCrab

The following nationals can get an Australian Electronic Visa so they can apply for the METV in Australia based on the information on their website.

• Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong (SAR)
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Liechtenstein
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • The Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Republic of San Marino
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan*
  • United Kingdom (British Citizen)
  • United Kingdom (Overseas)**
  • United States of America
  • Vatican City
Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

Its like none of you does any research at all?

Before telling people what to do with their life (Go home), check your facts !

No, I do my research. For low season PROMO airfares to Sydney not in peak time from Bangkok, you are looking at 22,000 baht return. I just checked and that is FACT. You then need to get to Canberra or rent a hotel in Sydney, one of the most expensive countries for rental in the world for a week.

Man, you go to be pretty desperate not to want to go home to Europe as you are not going to get much change from 35,000 to 40,00 Baht for just a METV ...

No employment or seasoned funds in ones own country...it's an answer.

If it works or not...well done.

Edited by Gringogazzer