New Visa advice for a first timer

Hi all

My partner and I are making the move to Thailand late January next year. I thought we had the Visa science down but the recent changes have raised a few questions.

A little about us;

- 25 and 27

- Plan to stay for 1 - 2 years

- Plan on obtaining tourist Visas' before we leave the UK

- Can satisfy the fund requirement

- Both currently citizens of and working in the UK but plan to terminate our employement

Is the new METV now our only option?

Would our best bet be a triple entry?

Do we need to have bought return tickets before being allowed to enter the country? If so, back to the UK or any other country?

The Visa appears to last for 6 months. How long a stay would this visa grant us with extensions and would we have to return 'home' to obtain a new one?

Grateful for any advice.

• Like 1

You meet requirements for the METV so you should apply for one. You can stay up to size months with one extension (Bt 1,900) per entry and one border hop every 90 days. After 9 months you can return to the UK for a new one or reconsider the possibilities at that time.

• Like 1

Well it depends where you apply

In Hull you dont qualify as you need a "LETTER FROM EMPLOYER STATING HOW LONG YOU HAVE BEEN EMPLOYED AND THAT THEY ARE AWARE YOU ARE GOING TO THAILAND FOR UP TO 6 MONTHS"

So if you want to respect the idea of the METV, you must return to a job in your home country and they might not like in London if they find out you are both quiting your jobs

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/870454-metv-from-hull-consulate-uk/

Edited by Kitsune

In Hull you dont qualify as you need a "LETTER FROM EMPLOYER STATING HOW LONG YOU HAVE BEEN EMPLOYED AND THAT THEY ARE AWARE YOU ARE GOING TO THAILAND FOR UP TO 6 MONTHS"

So if you want to respect the idea of the METV, you must return to a job in your home country and they might not like in London if they find out you are both quiting your jobs

Seems to me, the best plan is to apply by Post to London for an METV, provide exactly what is listed on their website as "required," but volunteer nothing more about your future plans - staying longer, quitting job, etc.

Due to the changing state of visa-availability, you may not be able to make future plans beyond the range of the METV. You will need to observe the policy which is being applied at the time that your visa's useful life approaches, and react accordingly. This site is a valuable resource for that information.

If metv turns out too much drama then you can obtain setv as pointed out above. Don't forget you are able to obtain visa exempt stamps also. Choose countries that you do not need a visa for. Vietnam one example. Often a cheap flight is better option than bus journey. Especially if happen to be in bkk. You could stay here very long time just using setv and visa exempt stamps. The idea of flying back to UK after 9 months on metv to obtain another is big expense and waste of money and by that time you might not meet the requirements.

Edited by jacksam
  • Like 1

Bit harsh. Thailand for one gives many countries 30 day visa exempt entry. Vietnam, Cambodia Laos etc do not. Yes I know Vietnam gives 14 day to UK and others. Not to Australia and USpA for example. Also many people prefer los. Bkk is cheapest place to fly out to just about anywhere. Great base. There is a young couple in another thread wishing to take year or two away from UK to tour in Asia . The metv may be difficult for them as leaving their jobs. Perfect example where the metv has got it wrong. Also if they wanted a second metv they would need to fly back to UK ....ludicrous

Sorry I messed up this post was meant for the metv thread currently running. I won't delete as some points might be of interest to op

Edited by jacksam
  • Like 1

Only a single entry tourist visa or the new METV is available now. Two and 3 entry tourist visas are no longer issued.

The requirements to get the METV at the embassy in London are here: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/574

You would need to apply before terminating your employment.

You only need a ticket to here to get it.

The METV can give almost 9 months of total stay by doing an entry just before the visa expires and then applying for a 30 extension of that 60 day entry. After that you could apply for a single entry tourist visa at a nearby embassy or consulate that would allow another 3 months of total stay.

At the moment you would have to return to the UK to get another METV.

You say 2 & 3 entry tourist are no longer issued??? Received one on the 3rd of November (this year), Only thing I wonder about is can I use it at Poi Pet (Cambodia)

Only a single entry tourist visa or the new METV is available now. Two and 3 entry tourist visas are no longer issued.

The requirements to get the METV at the embassy in London are here: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/574

You would need to apply before terminating your employment.

You only need a ticket to here to get it.

The METV can give almost 9 months of total stay by doing an entry just before the visa expires and then applying for a 30 extension of that 60 day entry. After that you could apply for a single entry tourist visa at a nearby embassy or consulate that would allow another 3 months of total stay.

At the moment you would have to return to the UK to get another METV.

You say 2 & 3 entry tourist are no longer issued??? Received one on the 3rd of November (this year), Only thing I wonder about is can I use it at Poi Pet (Cambodia)

Changed the 2&3 TV to METV just this week..

I got a 3 entry TV about 2 weeks back.

Sorry I cannot answer the Poi Pet q, I understand that Myanmar is an option.

• Like 1

To the OP - You should be fine. If you want to take a year or two year off and have the financials you will be just fine and they will give you both the visa.

The Thais are only interested that you don't work in Thailand and as more cash you show them as more happy they are issuing the visa.

180 days visa

30 Days One Extension

You can always get a single entry at a consulate for another 60 days and extend that one more, so you end up at 280 days. You could fly back on a visa exempt stamp for another 30 days and you would get another 30 days, reaching 310 days. You could then even extend that one more for another 30 days and show them a flight back to the UK and you would have got 340 days, almost a year.

Have a nice trip to Thailand please report back when you applied the METV visa.

• Like 1

It doesn't state the employer has to verify you will be returning to that job, but just a letter as you stated.

Thanks for the letter boss, I'll send you a stick of rock...

• Like 1

If metv turns out too much drama then you can obtain setv as pointed out above. Don't forget you are able to obtain visa exempt stamps also. Choose countries that you do not need a visa for. Vietnam one example. Often a cheap flight is better option than bus journey. Especially if happen to be in bkk. You could stay here very long time just using setv and visa exempt stamps. The idea of flying back to UK after 9 months on metv to obtain another is big expense and waste of money and by that time you might not meet the requirements.

Forget coming to Thailand, why not go to another SE Asian country, some place that welcomes you and doesn't put so

many obstacles in your way?

You took the words right out of my mouth.

• Like 1

Bit harsh. Thailand for one gives many countries 30 day visa exempt entry. Vietnam, Cambodia Laos etc do not. Yes I know Vietnam gives 14 day to UK and others. Not to Australia and USpA for example. Also many people prefer los. Bkk is cheapest place to fly out to just about anywhere. Great base. There is a young couple in another thread wishing to take year or two away from UK to tour in Asia . The metv may be difficult for them as leaving their jobs. Perfect example where the metv has got it wrong. Also if they wanted a second metv they would need to fly back to UK ....ludicrous

Sorry I messed up this post was meant for the metv thread currently running. I won't delete as some points might be of interest to op

Good post, but I don't think what I have said is a bit harsh, there are too many unneccessary hoops to go through to get a METV visa.

Thailand is fine for visitors, but they need to to cater better for the many people who want to live here permanently, no matter what age they are.

They are after all contributing to the Thai economy.

• Like 1

Follow the pinned METV topic OP. Things are moving & maybe able to apply for METV in region. Changes everything everyone has read or knows.

Good luck.

The METV visa will not apply to me, but I hope they can find a way to allow people to for it in region.

Follow the pinned METV topic OP. Things are moving & maybe able to apply for METV in region. Changes everything everyone has read or knows.

Good luck.

The METV visa will not apply to me, but I hope they can find a way to allow people to for it in region.

Me too.

If people like the the OP want to put their money & life into a community (especially those who were given the green light for so long) then they deserve better.

Thailand needs to look forward, not back.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys.

We'll update you when we've applied for the Visa. The new METV is still in it's infancy so it'll be interesting to see how things develop over the coming weeks and months.

We were last there 2 years and picked up on the anti foreigner sentiment. I can't help but think they're shooting themselves in the foot denying visitors who are happy to contribute a little to the economy in exchange for a chance to experience the Country.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update for you guys as promised;

METVs obtained this morning in person at the Birmingham Consulate. The whole process took 20 minutes and involved a quick review of each of the documents provided which were then taken away for photocopying.

We presented;

Completed application form

2nr photographs

Proof of funds

Proof of employment with a letter stating we'll be returning to our positions in 6 months wink.png

Hotel booking confirmination

Outgoing flight information

On speaking to the staff, they're seriously down on customers and quite a few are having difficulty with the METV requirements.

Thanks for the advice all.

METVs obtained this morning in person at the Birmingham Consulate. The whole process took 20 minutes and involved a quick review of each of the documents provided which were then taken away for photocopying.

We presented;

2nr photographs

Proof of funds

Proof of employment with a letter stating we'll be returning to our positions in 6 months wink.png

On speaking to the staff, they're seriously down on customers and quite a few are having difficulty with the METV requirements.

Thanks for the update. If it's not too personal ......what job do you have that can enable a 6/9 month break. This is ONE of the major hurdles for some. Esp people retired.

In AU, some jobs have ability to take sabbatical year etc.

Some jobs have very flexible long service. Not many just allow a holiday for that long.

We presented;

2nr photographs

Proof of funds

Thanks for the update. If it's not too personal ......what job do you have that can enable a 6/9 month break. This is ONE of the major hurdles for some. Esp people retired.

Some jobs have very flexible long service. Not many just allow a holiday for that long.

It is just a letter. I think many employers with whom you have a good relationship would be willing to help you get around that piece of BS.

We presented;

2nr photographs

Proof of funds

I'm a project manager and Mrs Red works in the legal field.

Most companies I've been involved with will offer an unpaid year long sabbatical if they like you enough. I imagine it will act as a hurdle for many, but a letter isn't too hard to come by.

• Like 1

Since your both not retirement age You might consider looking in to a thaielite visa yes cost is a bit high but if you have the cash it might be your best bet. But if you can afford taking 2 years or more off then 500,000 baht each might be your best bet. It comes with benefits which might be to your liking Or you could leave country every 30 days do extensions but all come with costs. But Thaielite has less hassles and you can come and go as you please no reporting unless you want to stay over a year free limo ride on arrival also help with other things you might want or need.and it is renewable every 5 years, Also you can get work permit if needed, open business to cover expenses so more freedom but as I said at a cost. Good luck.