Retirement Visa Benefits

i would like to know just what are the benefits of a retirement visa. do you get to come and go to thailand as much as you want? multiple entry? or is there a limit. its good for one year right? but you still have to go to immigration every three months to register? i can find info on how to get one but cant find info on what you actually get once you do have one. please help. thank you

It allows you to remain in Thailand for more than 90 days at a time - one year between visits to renew and it is done inside Thailand. It does not allow travel - if you plan to travel you must also obtain a re entry permit prior to any travel (there does seem {not clear to me so someone might want to expand} to be a multi entry type issued overseas for first year only that does not require this but in following years would). As repeat visa issue is becoming a no-no this will likely be the only viable way to stay long term. You only have to report your address every 90 days and that can be done by mail.

The questions you posed in your post seem retorical and you seem to grasp the procedural issues regarding a retirement visa. What seems to be your bottom line question, is what is the benefit of such a long term extension as opposed to visa runs?.

I came to Thailand on a tourist visa and would have had to renew it every ninety days by leaving the courntry and then re-enter on another 90 day visa. Many farang in Thailand do just that, perhaps they are not eligible for long stay or they don't mind the visa runs every 90 days.

For me, to be able to not worrry about permission to stay in Thailand for a year at a time was very attractive. Likewise, I look forward to the day that I can get a residency permit, so I don't have to worry about permission to stay after that.

It does seem to me absurd to grant a person a one year extension of their non-immigrant 0 visa and then require them to report every ninety days as their whereabouts, especially if you haven't moved. However, that is the price you pay to stay here.

What lopburi3 alludes to is a trend that appears more and more in this forum that the 90 visa runs are being clamped down on. I have no direct knowledge, but if you read the contemporaneous thread started by george entitled Mae Sing tightening down on visa runs you will get the latest on the issue. The following is just one post on this issue

Sorry folks but this will not only be a Mae Sai thing. I have heard and seen for myself that immigration is clamping down on people living in Thailand for extended periods on tourist visas. I was told as was another farang that we need to get proper visas. This was at PP thai embassy. The word is that 6 consec. months will be max. I am preparing to depart Thailand when the ultimatum comes. There are no non imm visas that fit my situation being unmarried. under 50 and not working. They don't want me here even though I have a lot more cash than the retirement requirements. It's not worth it anymore. I'm tired of the aggravation. I'll find another country. What they are doing when you get a tourist visa (60 days) is running your passport thru computer and printing out your exits and entries. If you have been living in thailand making tourist visa runs, you are told to get proper visa. If you do not, you will be warned and told you cannot do this. So for so many farangs who have been doing this and are in denial that this is changing, they will find out soon enough as I have. The visa run party is over REGARDLESS of border crossing!!! It sucks but has to be dealt with. I'm out of here after I get screwed around for the final time in Penang in 2 weeks. I will report what takes place and I know it won't be good. I'm glad I did not sever ties with my home country. ###### I've only lived in thailand a year and a half.

For me, to be able to not worrry about permission to stay in Thailand for a year at a time was very attractive. Likewise, I look forward to the day that I can get a residency permit, so I don't have to worry about permission to stay after that.

Am not clear on how you plan to obtain "residency permit" if you are here on tourist visas. You need to be here 3 years on one year extensions of a visa to even apply for PR by current policy. Or are we talking apples and oranges and I misunderstand?