F1 2016

Basil B

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bahrain will have the crap qualifying system.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk

Probably because the Commercial Rights holder can not find anything more sillier to replace it with...

Seems more to do with FIA and Teams...

The suggestion to revert back to last years rules was the teams and therefore the FIA refuse to consider the idea, you can not have the teams running F1.... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Its not looking good, but let's hope that this season is better than '14/'15. Merc's bad start brought some excitement to Aus, but will they have sorted this out?

Alonso's crash was truly frightening, but he has got away with hairline cracks/bruising in his ribs (?), which is good news and shows how safe F1 cars are nowadays.

IMO, as the Mclaren is still so far from the front - many/most F1 fans will not miss Alonso, but rather be interested in how Stoffel performs.

Its not looking good, but let's hope that this season is better than '14/'15. Merc's bad start brought some excitement to Aus, but will they have sorted this out?

Alonso's crash was truly frightening, but he has got away with hairline cracks/bruising in his ribs (?), which is good news and shows how safe F1 cars are nowadays.

IMO, as the Mclaren is still so far from the front - many/most F1 fans will not miss Alonso, but rather be interested in how Stoffel performs.

Not too sure about McLaren. Had a good FP.

Bahrain qualifications are coming soon. Ferrari's were fastest on P3, but most likely Mercedes will take the pole.

I miss the times, when there were multiple teams, who could have won the pole. Now it's pretty much always either Rosberg or Hamilton. Before the MB era, Red Bull was dominating. Was is this boring as well?

OMG, what a boring Q2!

Sitting around waiting for the timer to count down to eliminate the drivers who are just sitting around in the pits waiting for the timer to count down to eliminate them.

Could this BE more boring?

Mercs on pole, Ferraris on the next row. Let's hope tomorrows start will be the same as we saw in Australia.

The problem is not how the qualifications are done now. The problem is that there is only one team which can get the pole. Qualifications and the results would not be much different compared to the old system. At least this system gives a chance for something to go wrong, which would mean different start positions.

I'd like to hear ideas from the people, who complain about this new qualification system. What do you think, would be better? If your answer is "going back to old system", you must explain, which old system you prefer. The one, when there was one hour for all the drivers to get their best time possible?

Mercs on pole, Ferraris on the next row. Let's hope tomorrows start will be the same as we saw in Australia.

The problem is not how the qualifications are done now. The problem is that there is only one team which can get the pole. Qualifications and the results would not be much different compared to the old system. At least this system gives a chance for something to go wrong, which would mean different start positions.

I'd like to hear ideas from the people, who complain about this new qualification system. What do you think, would be better? If your answer is "going back to old system", you must explain, which old system you prefer. The one, when there was one hour for all the drivers to get their best time possible?

The "old system" that was in effect last season.

The "old system" that was in effect last season.

Before that old system, there has been various other old systems.

We all want to have F1 interesting, not too predictable as it is now.

Basically, today, most of us wish to see the leading team failing.

How many people think that Rosberg and Hamilton are the best drivers at the moment?

An idea; a set time is only valid for a couple of minutes, say 6 or 7. After that you lose the time set. So if you set a good time early in a session you need to get back out later to 'renew it'. That'll guarantee a lot more fun near the end of each session.

An idea; a set time is only valid for a couple of minutes, say 6 or 7. After that you lose the time set. So if you set a good time early in a session you need to get back out later to 'renew it'. That'll guarantee a lot more fun near the end of each session.

I like this idea of reducing the time, when the drivers can make their best time.

It should make the drivers to be at the track all the time.

Are there other solutions?

I didn't watch qualifying, as I said I wouldn't. I'm glad I didn't. The reason we got stuck with it was that FIA only wanted to revert to last seasons version for Q3. The teams wanted all sessions to revert. There is meeting today.

Then there is the tyres, the answer was NO they cannot have another set for qualifying = they could only 'renew it' [ fastest time set] if they leave no tyres for the Race.

would be like the old system, no one goes out until the last few mins.......... going further back the teams had a engine just for qualifying = no looking after the engine as it was not going to be used in the Race anyway.

Almost 5 mins yesterday in Q2 was just one car on track !! spicing qualifying up ? makes it more interesting and exciting ? how ? 'Mosha' had the right idea, just don't bother watching qualifying

Then there is the tyres, the answer was NO they cannot have another set for qualifying = they could only 'renew it' [ fastest time set] if they leave no tyres for the Race.

would be like the old system, no one goes out until the last few mins.......... going further back the teams had a engine just for qualifying = no looking after the engine as it was not going to be used in the Race anyway.

Almost 5 mins yesterday in Q2 was just one car on track !! spicing qualifying up ? makes it more interesting and exciting ? how ? 'Mosha' had the right idea, just don't bother watching qualifying

Adding a time limit to the current Q system does not allow a driver to just wait until the last minutes to set a time, because then he would be out already due to the 'every 90 seconds the slowest gets dropped' rule.

That said, you could even add the time limit rule to the previous Q system if you let the time set pass over to the next Q stage.

In either case, if you only go out early to set a time, you will lose it later on, so you will have get out on track again. Or if you wait until the end there is a good chance you won't get that chance as you will already be eliminated for not having set a time at all. So the trick is to use old tires early on, hoping to set a time good enough to last until the later stages, then setting faster times on new tyres. Slower teams will just use their new tyres early on, since they don't expect to get too far into Q. So you will have slow cars on new tires racing against fast teams on old tires early on in Q. Might spice things up, and at least guarantees cars on the track all the time.

Go back to a set number of laps in the hour, with the proviso that team can't have both cars on the same lap sector on the hot laps. That will stop team mates assisting each other.

Go back to a set number of laps in the hour, with the proviso that team can't have both cars on the same lap sector on the hot laps. That will stop team mates assisting each other.

Yes, but then the slower cars will get in the way of, and ruin, the fast laps of the quicker cars.

That's why it was changed to 3 sessions so we get the quicker cars fighting it out in Q3, and the mobile chicanes of Sauber, Renault, Force India, etc, being dumped out of the way. smile.png

The teams unanimously want to revert to the 2015 format, but Bernie Ecclestone and FIA president Jean Todt are immovable in their opposition to this.

Andrew Benson CHIEF F1 WRITER @ the BBCbbclogo.jpg

-- BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/formula1/35720923

Seems there was 11 other immovable objects in the room... good on them, the teams, their drivers, their engineers are the people who make F1, The FIA and the Commercial Rights holder are only interested in the money they can squeeze out of F1.

Laurence Edmondson, F1 Editor:

Bernie Ecclestone says teams and drivers should not have a say in the governance of the Formula One, which he admits would be better off left to the FIA.

"Admits"??? Stupid comment. The word you are struggling for, Mr Edmondson, is "insists".

And reading more about the white dwarf - who would be in jail if he hadn't coughed up 50 million quid - has made me lose interest in this race.

I think I'll watch a film...

Exciting race though...

Another poor start from Lewis, and then "T"boned by Bottas' at the first corner but he did well to just to drive the car for 57 laps... 3rd was very respectful finish given the circumstances.

Nico may be on top of the world at this time but the season has only just begun, yes he is in with a chance for the championship but Lewis will no let him take it easily.

bet tension is high in the McLaren garage as the stand in rookie driver Stoffel Vandoorne is the only driver so far to score points for the team, it was reported last year Jenson was considering jacking it in before he signed a contract for this year, and I assume Alonso is not overjoyed at the prospects of sharing a garage with another upstart who does not know his place.

what stood out this weekend....... F1 now has little radio chat as most is against the rules...... Formula E on the other had is non stop chat + when the safety car was out after a crash, they were doing LIVE interviews with the drivers following the safety car !!

Archived