Ko Chang and Trat hotel advice

Chongalulu

After collecting a friend at swampy on 20 December ,4 of us wish to drive for a few days break to Ko Chang. I would envisage staying in Trat the first night,and perhaps 2 if there is enough to see and do around Trat? Then about 5 days on Ko Chang taking the truck on the ferry. I'm aware that it's high/peak season but did read some earlier posts about it being very quiet not long ago (which may be different at my time). I guess it'll be risky to go without a booking then ,so would appreciate some hotel recommendations. As we'll have transport it doesn't need to be in the centre (white sands beach?) and more important is a pleasant environment/ beach not needing bars nearby. Budget flexible,but envisage 2000 per night on Ko Chang but happy to pay a little more (or less) depending on value .

I did go to Ko Chang over 10 years ago so my experience will be irrelevant now. Appreciate specific resort/ hotel advice on both KC and Trat and any pointers re ferries (queuing,booking timings etc) and any other advice I haven't specified. Are there day trips to Ko Kut which I like look of and did consider staying but maybe leave that to another time as it will be handy to have the car with us (which I understand is not an option there) and perhaps not at such a peak time. Comments on that welcome too therefore as I'm keen snorkeller. Should mention I've selected eastern coast as we'll return to my house near Korat afterwards

Klong Prao Resort on Klong Prao beach (probably the best beach on the island) was pretty good last time I visited about 3 years ago. Price should around 2,000 a night if available this near to New Year.

For Trat I can recommend the Trat Center Hotel. It's a fairly new hotel, about 2 years old. I always put up family members there, no complaints. It's a 5 minute walk to the market, which especially in the evenings is worth a visit.

Also there is a big lake just 5 minutes outside of town by car where on the northside you will find a variety of restaurants - wonderfully cool in the evening.

For the rest Trat is not a very interesting town, 2 days stay would be a maximum for anyone on a holiday.

Klong Prao Resort on Klong Prao beach (probably the best beach on the island) was pretty good last time I visited about 3 years ago. Price should around 2,000 a night if available this near to New Year.

Managed to cancel my booking at Sereanity resort and booked Klong Prao Resort. More expensive at over 3000 night via Expedia but think it's worth it. Thanks for recommending! Going there on Tuesday 22 nd and as I'm staying in Trat night previous can choose time to arrive at Ferry. Can check in hotel at 2 pm so any tips on timing of ferry re queuing and which is the better choice of ferry as there are two?