Johnny Depp's wife Amber Heard gets 'dog smuggling' court date

webfact

I had Australian friends who were returning back to Oz, who scrimped and saved for the proper documents for their dog to go back with them. Including vacinations, chips, air fares etc. not cheap.

The Depps have more money than all of us put together, and a private jet. So all they needed were the doggie passports and chips. But they seem to think they are above us mere mortals. I hope she goes to prison.

Hope she gets a massive fine. But really, JD's wife, she should be made to walk the plank.

What would be a 'massive' fine for the Depps?

Enough to buy a new dog!

But I do understand, I took my beloved Shep from HK to Sing and after 5 years to the UK. She had to go into quarantine both times for 6 months, which is very hard on a dog even if you can visit a lot. I thought things were better now with dog passports? You would think the Depps could have sorted this out easily and everybody knows about why quarantine is necessary so I have no sympathy for those trying to break it. Look at the sitution here.

NB if you live in LOS you should make sure all your family have the anti-rabies jabs. Cheap and not painful.

Plus of course making sure all your dogs have them (I now have 12, no 11 a snake got one) even for the poor mutt that plants outside your house/condo if thats the best you can do for it.

Edited by MiKT

It is serious because Australia, being an island, has bee able to avoid a lot of diseases that plague other countries.

Just because an American actor thinks he is exempt from these laws means nothing. It only shows his arrogance.

You do, of course, report that you've walked outdoors whenever you cross international borders, as required by law? So they can check your shoes for little baddies you may have picked up while walking near farm animals or nasty local flora?

Otherwise, you're about as arrogant, and as much a danger as the Family Depp and their fanged creatures.

I'm more likely to have a horrible disease or invasive organism on my hiking shoes than those teacup Yorkies had on them.

Edited by impulse

It is serious because Australia, being an island, has bee able to avoid a lot of diseases that plague other countries.

Just because an American actor thinks he is exempt from these laws means nothing. It only shows his arrogance.

You do, of course, report that you've walked outdoors whenever you cross international borders, as required by law? So they can check your shoes for little baddies you may have picked up while walking near farm animals or nasty local flora?

Otherwise, you're about as arrogant, and as much a danger as the Family Depp and their fanged creatures.

I'm more likely to have a horrible disease or invasive organism on my hiking shoes than those teacup Yorkies had on them.

I have no doubt your shoes are minging, but that does not excuse any rich bastards for trying to evade really necessary laws. Try watching a video of somebody dying of rabies in Thailand and then come back and post again.

I have no doubt your shoes are minging, but that does not excuse any rich bastards for trying to evade really necessary laws. Try watching a video of somebody dying of rabies in Thailand and then come back and post again.

I'm pretty sure Australia has always had rabies, but they use another name for it so that they can make so much money on their quarantine procedures. This is what aussies have constantly told me for years. They call it Lyssaviurus I think.

Edited by steve654

I'm pretty sure Australia has always had rabies, but they use another name for it so that they can make so much money on their quarantine procedures. This is what aussies have constantly told me for years. They call it Lyssaviurus I think.

You are absolutely correct. Australia has had the rabies virus in bats for years, if not centuries.

Much ado about nothing from some of the more hysterical Aussies.

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/ohp-rabies-consumer-info.htm

Edited by chuckd

You are absolutely correct. Australia has had the rabies virus in bats for years, if not centuries.

Much ado about nothing from some of the more hysterical Aussies.

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/ohp-rabies-consumer-info.htm

Hysterical mmm. Why did you not read your own reference source. It says rabies or lyssavirus does not YET occour in land animals only in bats and the only cases or rabies (3) have come from bats. So the Aussies are absolutely right to do evething in their power to keep out any animal that has not been inoculated and obtained a clean bill of health or gone through quarantine.

Only a complete idiot or ignoramus takes rabies lightly, its a terrible way to die and still its not possible to save a victim unless they are treated very quickly.

Check out how many die in Thailand alone from Rabies, let alone China, Lao and adjoining countries.
If you have anything to do with dogs, cats or any animals in Thailand you are an irresponsible ..... if you don't give your animals and family anti-rabies jabs.

There is no excuse whatsover for somebody like JD's wife trying to smuggle in dogs no matter how small and your cynical unfounded comments about the Aus authorities making money are simply pathetic. I am sure they have to spend a vast amount of money because of selfish, irresponsible or careless people to try to avert what would be a real enviromental catastrophe if rabies got into the vast animal population in Aus. Its not a good way for an animal to die either.

I have no connections to Aus other than having a great time when I have visited and feel the same about keeping rabies out of any country that does not have it.

I had something to do with the anti-rabies measures taken when the Channel Tunnel was first built in the 90's and a lot of money was spent. Rightly so, even then it's still a constant battle to keep out foxes, mice and rats; and the French .... but I am repeating myself.

Joking aside, don't take rabies lightly.

<snip due to messed up quotes>

Hysterical mmm. Why did you not read your own reference source. It says rabies or lyssavirus does not YET occour in land animals only in bats and the only cases or rabies (3) have come from bats. So the Aussies are absolutely right to do evething in their power to keep out any animal that has not been inoculated and obtained a clean bill of health or gone through quarantine.

Only a complete idiot or ignoramus takes rabies lightly, its a terrible way to die and still its not possible to save a victim unless they are treated very quickly.

Check out how many die in Thailand alone from Rabies, let alone China, Lao and adjoining countries.

If you have anything to do with dogs, cats or any animals in Thailand you are an irresponsible ..... if you don't give your animals and family anti-rabies jabs.

There is no excuse whatsover for somebody like JD's wife trying to smuggle in dogs no matter how small and your cynical unfounded comments about the Aus authorities making money are simply pathetic. I am sure they have to spend a vast amount of money because of selfish, irresponsible or careless people to try to avert what would be a real enviromental catastrophe if rabies got into the vast animal population in Aus. Its not a good way for an animal to die either.

I have no connections to Aus other than having a great time when I have visited and feel the same about keeping rabies out of any country that does not have it.

I had something to do with the anti-rabies measures taken when the Channel Tunnel was first built in the 90's and a lot of money was spent. Rightly so, even then it's still a constant battle to keep out foxes, mice and rats; and the French .... but I am repeating myself.

Joking aside, don't take rabies lightly.

I was raised in Texas where rabies was a problem early on and still is to some lesser degree...and I do read my links.

In fact this is the entire part you paraphrased parts of...

"Rabies virus does not currently occur in land dwelling animals in Australia but ABLV does occur in bats in Australia, and can be transmitted from bats to humans and to other animals. Only three cases of human infection with ABLV have been recorded since the virus was first identified in 1996. All cases were in Queensland and all died as a result of ABLV infection after being bitten or scratched by bats."

Specifically I refer to this part you chose to omit...

" but ABLV does occur in bats in Australia, and can be transmitted from bats to humans and to other animals."

In short Australia already has a rabies problem and the importation of two small dogs that are probably more pampered than you or I, is hardly deserving of the international incident this has become.

You are from Texas you say, so take a few minutes to check out how many people in Texas die from rabies. You might be unpleasantly surprised.

30 people in 10 years across the entire USA have died from rabies.

6 in Texas, quite a few were exposed outside the USA, and several from transplanted organs. Not a single one from a dog bite in the USA. Zero. In 10 years.

Seems like Aus already has almost as big a problem as we do in the USA, given population difference...

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/usa/surveillance/human_rabies.html

Which is beside the point.

If this case were about rabies, the top dog head of the agriculture department wouldn't be involved. He has people to do that. Layers and layers of people.

No, it's about sticking it to the rich and famous Yanks. Just because he can. He seems to have confused having a big organ, and being one.

Edit: BTW, condolences to the hundreds of Aussie Film folks who won't get a chance to work on the next movie that won't be shot in Oz, because this was handled so poorly and with so much malice.

Edited by impulse

You are from Texas you say, so take a few minutes to check out how many people in Texas die from rabies. You might be unpleasantly surprised.

30 people in 10 years across the entire USA have died from rabies.

6 in Texas, quite a few were exposed outside the USA, and several from transplanted organs. Not a single one from a dog bite in the USA. Zero. In 10 years.

Seems like Aus already has almost as big a problem as we do in the USA, given population difference...

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/usa/surveillance/human_rabies.html

Which is beside the point.

If this case were about rabies, the top dog head of the agriculture department wouldn't be involved. He has people to do that. Layers and layers of people.

No, it's about sticking it to the rich and famous Yanks. Just because he can. He seems to have confused having a big organ, and being one.

Edit: BTW, condolences to the hundreds of Aussie Film folks who won't get a chance to work on the next movie that won't be shot in Oz, because this was handled so poorly and with so much malice.

Still more head up your a.. bs. Nobody in Aus has died from a dog bite ever. Over the years thousands have died in the US and you seem to miss the important part which is things in the US are improving because of animal control and vaccinations which cost a lot of money.

I would never belive that I could read so much shit about such a serious subject. Are you 6 years old that you don't know about the literally hundreds of cases of self important, selfish gits from other countries, including Australia, who have been stopped from importing lap dogs into the US. Let alone other animals.

We are supposed to be reasonably polite on TV but honestly, you must have the smallest cock in Texas to have the temerity to post such evil crap. Rich and famous yanks, if they are even 10% as arrogant and stupid as you deserve to be banned from leaving the US. You really think the Australian film industry is going to miss JD or any other pompus arshole "filmstar" from the US? I would love to see you face up to a rabid dog for even a few minutes.

Do you bother doing any fact checking before you insult people?

It is believed that approximately 28 dogs were involved in 11 deaths between 1995 and 2011 in Australia. One dog caused 6 fatalities (55%), Two dogs caused 2 fatalities (18%), Three to four dogs caused 2 fatalities (18%) and 11 dogs caused 1 fatality (9%). Ref 3

http://www.dogwalkersmelbourne.com.au/articles-dog-walking-pet-sitting/133-dog-kill-statistics

I've been through my own bout of rabies shots when I got tagged by a $20,000 dog in China.

But please keep coming back with your rants. The insults really add to your credibility.

I don't think it is the fact whether those dogs were a risk of having rabies.

I think it is the general thought that they did not go through the proper channels that most people have to to bring their animals into the country.

Why should they get away with it - when others spend thousands to bring their furry friends to Australia. or any other country.

We see movie stars getting off their jets all over the world with their dogs. I presume those dogs had the proper papers. The Depps smuggled their dogs into Australia. Why? They actually risked their dogs being taken off them.

Shows how much they love their dogs, not.

I don't think it is the fact whether those dogs were a risk of having rabies.

I think it is the general thought that they did not go through the proper channels that most people have to to bring their animals into the country.

Why should they get away with it - when others spend thousands to bring their furry friends to Australia. or any other country.

We see movie stars getting off their jets all over the world with their dogs. I presume those dogs had the proper papers. The Depps smuggled their dogs into Australia. Why? They actually risked their dogs being taken off them.

Shows how much they love their dogs, not.

I don't see anyone arguing that they should get away with it. And they haven't. It's already cost them well over $100,000 to charter a jet to take the dogs out before the deadline. (The number that sticks in my mind is $250K, but my memory is selective) While waiting and wondering for several days if some nasty official may jump the gun and come to kill their beloved pets before they could make the arrangements- just because they could.

The question is, why should they be treated any differently than a lady bringing a stalk of moldy grapes in her economy class carry on bag, or a guy bringing in a pair of shoes coated in horse manure from a walk in a farm field. The lady will be asked to bin her grapes, and the guy (if caught at all) will be asked to bin the shoes. No threat of jail time, no headlines, no threat to kill a beloved pet.

The family Depp should have been fined on the spot- make it a big one. Then it should be over. No headlines, no grandstanding politicians. Just like the absolute worst you or I would get if we violated the agriculture customs laws. Like 1000's of people who get caught out every day at the airports carrying contraband snack food, spices, fruits and vegetables. Every bit as dangerous to Aussie agriculture as a couple of tiny lap dogs.

I'm not in favor of favorable treatment for the rich and the famous and the Yanks. But neither am I in favor of persecuting them for being rich, famous or American.

Think the following seems to clarify why the Oz officials aren't happy, appears provided false / misleading info.

A summons was issued in July for Ms Heard to appear in court today on charges relating to the illegal importation of two animals as well knowingly producing a false or misleading incoming passenger card.

The charges carry a maximum penalty of ten years' jail and/or a fine of $102,000.

Think the following seems to clarify why the Oz officials aren't happy, appears provided false / misleading info.

A summons was issued in July for Ms Heard to appear in court today on charges relating to the illegal importation of two animals as well knowingly producing a false or misleading incoming passenger card.

The charges carry a maximum penalty of ten years' jail and/or a fine of $102,000.

You know that lady with the moldy grapes I was using as an example? Her incoming passenger card was also knowingly false or misleading if she didn't declare the grapes- and the same for the guy who walked in a horse pasture overseas and didn't declare that on his incoming passenger card.

Hell, I got called out for bringing in an unopened pack of pretzels given to me on the airplane. They could have fined and jailed me for not declaring the food on my incoming passenger card. But reasonable heads prevailed, I got a 15 second lecture and even got to keep the pretzels. They weren't illegal, but I had failed to declare them as "food".

Bottom line, a bully of a politician stuck his foot in it and can't extricate it without losing face. Had they not been rich, famous and/or Yanks, cooler heads would have prevailed, fines would have been levied, and it would be settled already.

Edited by impulse

Yes. But maybe the Depps story going out in the media will make other people think differently about trying to get around the rules and regulations of taking stuff into any country. Whether its animals or grapes or a fake Dior handbag.

Years ago i bought a false Louis Vuitton suitcase on Chaweng Beach Road. It is lovely, but i know damn well i cannot travel with it. It would be taken away from me. Especially here in Switzerland. Imagine the embarassment - the guy taking the bag away from me and stuffing my smalls into bin bags!!!

And getting a hefty fine for it. "Oh, but the man told me it was real"!! Like the raybans, and that lovely Dior bikini!! And the fun false Rolex.

Back on dogs, i read lovely stories about Europeans who adopt from Soi Dogs. Do you not think that those people have not got the vaccinations, chips air fare etc. up to date before the dog arrives in Germany, France etc? Otherwise the dog will be sent back. And it costs lots.

So, im sorry. The Depps would have got the same sort of response from many countries not only Australia.

• 3 months later...

For those who have been breathlessly awaiting the results of the trial of the century:

"Johnny Depp's wife Amber Heard has been handed a one-month good behaviour bond with no conviction recorded after smuggling her two Yorkshire terriers into Australia last year while visiting her husband.

The $1,000 good behaviour bond comes after Heard pleaded guilty to falsifying quarantine documents" ABC.

The lady, and Depp, did appear in court today.

Edited by Old Croc

Yes. But maybe the Depps story going out in the media will make other people think differently about trying to get around the rules and regulations of taking stuff into any country. Whether its animals or grapes or a fake Dior handbag.

Years ago i bought a false Louis Vuitton suitcase on Chaweng Beach Road. It is lovely, but i know damn well i cannot travel with it. It would be taken away from me. Especially here in Switzerland. Imagine the embarassment - the guy taking the bag away from me and stuffing my smalls into bin bags!!!

And getting a hefty fine for it. "Oh, but the man told me it was real"!! Like the raybans, and that lovely Dior bikini!! And the fun false Rolex.

Back on dogs, i read lovely stories about Europeans who adopt from Soi Dogs. Do you not think that those people have not got the vaccinations, chips air fare etc. up to date before the dog arrives in Germany, France etc? Otherwise the dog will be sent back. And it costs lots.

So, im sorry. The Depps would have got the same sort of response from many countries not only Australia.

I think I understand now. You readily admit to being a criminal yourself, buying illegal counterfeit goods.

But because they got caught and you didn't they should go to jail and you should be rewarded because you got away with it.

There is clearly stated laws that they would have been aware of. In Aussie we have very strict quarantine protection laws the prevent the introduction of disease. A few years back fruit was bought in that nearly decimated the apple industry. There was also a bought bought in on a container ship to Fremantle that when they check it was basically held together by paint. There was a strain of wood borer that, if able to get into our forests, would have been disasterous. The so called hisos tried to sneak them in on a private plane. Let them go through the whole process the same as others must. They deserve what they get.

blink.png Australia has apple forests? I thought Australia was just a big desert!

We did have till the introduced pests decimated the industry.

There is clearly stated laws that they would have been aware of. In Aussie we have very strict quarantine protection laws the prevent the introduction of disease. A few years back fruit was bought in that nearly decimated the apple industry. There was also a bought bought in on a container ship to Fremantle that when they check it was basically held together by paint. There was a strain of wood borer that, if able to get into our forests, would have been disasterous. The so called hisos tried to sneak them in on a private plane. Let them go through the whole process the same as others must. They deserve what they get.

blink.png Australia has apple forests? I thought Australia was just a big desert!

sad.png Thats a bit rough on a multi cultural society !

sad.png Thats a bit rough on a multi cultural society !

Some want to extend the quarantine