Pattaya is dead

VIPinthailand

With the current ongoing in the Chinese stock market and the currency devaluations, I wouldn't bet too much on the Chinese, because I think they are heading the same way as the Russians.

And for those that want to claim that the Russians haven't left yet, go have a look in Hua Yai where hundreds of Pegas buses are parked indefinitely.

+1

Totally agree with that. thumbsup.gif

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I think we can summarise that reports of Pattaya's death have been greatly exaggerated!

Correct. Apparently some don't understand that a town full of Thais and few farangs is not dead, but just a Thai town.

Would they say the same about Lampang or Lamphun, where farangs are very much in the minority?

So I think we can summarise that reports of Pattaya's death have been greatly exaggerated!

Correct. Apparently some don't understand that a town full of Thais and few farangs is not dead, but just a Thai town.

Would they say the same about Lampang or Lamphun, where farangs are very much in the minority?

Well whichever way you look at it last years low season was extremely quiet in Pattaya. The beach was empty and there just weren't that many people around.

HIgh season seems to have gotten quieter the last few years as well.

There has been a big drop off in Russian/Easties numbers and that is very noticeable.

Yes there are Chinese tourists around but by and large most of us don't see them so they don't make much of an impact except for the tourist bus chaos that they bring.

So yeah I would say Pattaya was dead quiet in regards to western tourists and generally quieter than in previous years.

Well whichever way you look at it last years low season was extremely quiet in Pattaya. The beach was empty and there just weren't that many people around.

HIgh season seems to have gotten quieter the last few years as well.

There has been a big drop off in Russian/Easties numbers and that is very noticeable.

Yes there are Chinese tourists around but by and large most of us don't see them so they don't make much of an impact except for the tourist bus chaos that they bring.

So yeah I would say Pattaya was dead quiet in regards to western tourists and generally quieter than in previous years.

So there seems to be a consensus that Pattaya is quiet with not as many western tourists as "usual". The only question that I would like answered, is are the hotels/ restaurants going to drop their prices?

I just checked the price on a guest house on LK that I stayed at some years ago at 600 a night which was a rip off then, and they are charging nearly thrice that now for their below average rooms. If that's typical, I hope westerners really do abandon the place.

The hotel I used to stay at in Pattaya at 600 including b'fast was charging 800 last time I visited, and considering they don't have lift for 6 floors I scorned them. Gone up to 828 baht, which isn't much of a rise, but bad reviews

I would like to be the proverbial fly on the wall to overhear what they are saying in city hall- do they care, are they going to do anything about it, and if so what?

I doubt they are going to get the mongers back, which were the mainstay of the Beach Rd area, and obviously the upmarket tourists never arrived. Gonna be interesting.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Thailand is putting most of it's eggs in one basket, Chinese. They over crowd tourist areas with bus load after bus load of Chinese and chase other country's tourists away. We all saw the drop in Russian tourists who were not really so huge have an impact on the industry, what will happen when the Chinese tourist trade drops off ? It will happen at some point.

My hotel/apartment seem to put their price up 50 Baht each year. Hell will freeze over before prices drop. It's just not the Thai way.

Like it or not the Chinese are on the move in many parts of the world. Australias newspapers reported today one million Chinese tourists now visit per year here. Despite what many think they are highly valued for the $$s they bring via the tourism industry. I'm sure the economic benefits would be the same in Thailand from Chinese tourists. As to whether the Chinese economy is going belly up only time will tell.

If you're complaining about another poster, please do it in a separate reply to him. I have no issue with your postings.

Not sure if you are deliberately misinterpreting what I say or not, but...........

I didn't expect you to follow me around reading what I say. I only made the comment as I have only said I want Central Festival to be elsewhere, not that I dislike/ hate it itself. If I did that I wouldn't go in it, but I do. If it wasn't where it is, I'd go to use it somewhere else.

Agree it's better than Central World, but I'm sure you do know that Central World wasn't always a Central, and was built to be the premier mall in Bkk for the elites.

To the guy that constantly complains that my posts are boring- solution simple, put me on ignore and you never need to read anything I write again. Perhaps that is too easy though coffee1.gif .

I do think you're going on about the location of Central far too much though. You have repeated that enough times for me to remember well your feelings about the location. The developers of a major hotel/mall complex are after return on investment, they are not part of a city's future expansion plans. You may be aware too that whenever there are special events, these are usually located at the center of beach road, right in front of Central Mall. They couldn't have found a better location. Before Central Mall opened, business was too focused on the southern end of Beach Road near Walking Street and the area where the mall is now was a back water. Now it's one of the main areas of the city.

Apologies about including reference to a different poster in reply to you, but TV is now so slow here, that it would take over 5 minutes to reply to you and then wait for the page to load again so I could reply to him, so just trying to save a few minutes of my life for something more interesting than waiting for TV's software to process every change I make.

As for return on investment, the non food shops don't seem to be doing too well on that. Loads of people looking and eating, but sod all buying the overpriced clothes on display.

You may be aware too that whenever there are special events, these are usually located at the center of beach road, right in front of Central Mall.

Hmmmmm. They have been having special events ( that I attended in person ) in that area since long before Central was a glimmer in a property developer's eye. Perhaps that was why they built it there, rather than elsewhere.

I don't know if they built there because of that, but it's certainly a great bonus. I just think that the process of finding a location was as simple as being central, as the name implies and placing the Hilton at the best view point for the whole of the bay. Another consideration was having an entrance and exit on both sides of the complex. Having a location with main street access on both sides along the beach - it was a no-brainer.

I have never been to a mall where high end shops are busy, other than when they have 50 - 70% sales - here or in Bangkok. LOL, even at 70% you'll find plenty of items over 5000 baht.

Real tourists, LOL

Who are they then? People with money, people with not much money, backpackers, the Chinese tour groups, the Russians, the Indians, Brit louts, Brit guys that aren't louts, French, Germans, Scandinavians, Aussies, Kiwis, Americans, Arabs, families, singles? All of those already go to Pattaya, and far as I'm concerned anyone that came from another country and is going back to another country within a few months is a real tourist.

BTW Bali Hi is a death trap for the thousands that go there to celebrate. One day it is all going to go wrong. It's far better when they close Beach Rd for celebrations- more exits.

Why do you consider Bali High a death trap ?

i must admit i have not been down there for 6-7 years for a large event.

is it just the huge numbers in that location ? wai2.gif

The end near walking street is a bottleneck, and if there was a panic there is no way out except for a few at a time

Don't say that they could just go out towards the lighthouse- when I was there for new year in 2011 the crowd in that area was immense and in a panic you know what happens.

There was a panic resulting in many deaths at a similar celebration some other country at that time- I don't recall where.

I was very uneasy about being in the crowd, as I could see what might happen. Never went there for another celebration.

That's why I said Beach Rd is better for celebrations. There have been too many mass casualties caused by panic elsewhere to say it couldn't happen in Pattaya.

Ok. yes would be hard to control a mass panic.

But people could move up towards the fly over, that is a way out. wai2.gif

Have a video on a not so old hard drive - ambulance, sirens blaring, stuck on the overpass for twenty minutes, without moving an inch - around 1.30 to 2.00 am, New years day. Still there when I left, could not wait to see when it got out -

I went to Walking Street last night (still high season yes?) and went into one of the more popular a go gos for a beer at around 9pm. For the whole time i was there i was the only customer. Something must be wrong.

Which gogo? The gogos with attractive girls are doing fine!

I still enjoy living in Jomtien and taking my motosyke for a ride around town and stopping off for a few beers and the odd big night out.

There are still a number of resonsbly priced beer bars that have some great looking good fun girls in usually known to the locals (these bars have a great vibe)

The problem is there becoming more of the exeption each year and I'm seeing more bars with litttle or no staff with, go go's are becoming an expensive rip off and looking increasingly like western strip clubs where you get shafted for a 180baht shot and then limited conversation

One of pattayas good points was the Laos back inexpencive party vibe, if it looses that it has little other to offer really

I still enjoy living in Jomtien and taking my motosyke for a ride around town and stopping off for a few beers and the odd big night out.

There are still a number of resonsbly priced beer bars that have some great looking good fun girls in usually known to the locals (these bars have a great vibe)

The problem is there becoming more of the exeption each year and I'm seeing more bars with litttle or no staff with, go go's are becoming an expensive rip off and looking increasingly like western strip clubs where you get shafted for a 180baht shot and then limited conversation

One of pattayas good points was the Laos back inexpencive party vibe, if it looses that it has little other to offer really

Laos party? The most boring place I been too around asia

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

No such thing as a 'laos back' party vibe…poster meant laid back…spellcheck is evil…play on.

No.

Singapore is the most boring place in Asia.

I think someone smiled there, but that was back in 1989

could have been 1988, not to sure, bit tricky this one, as it was a one off thing. thumbsup.gif

Edited by onemorechang

No such thing as a 'laos back' party vibeposter meant laid backspellcheck is evilplay on.

We are supposed to check the spell check before posting ! I am as guilty as any for not always checking.

No.

could have been 1988, not to sure, bit tricky this one, as it was a one off thing. thumbsup.gif

You've obviously never been to Brunei.....

I went to Walking Street last night (still high season yes?) and went into one of the more popular a go gos for a beer at around 9pm. For the whole time i was there i was the only customer. Something must be wrong.

Even popular gogos lose their way. The one I liked best on Walking St, had the best looking girls, to the extent that Asian men used to go there, but the last time I went, not so good looking anymore- rather average. Unfortunately, average and the usual chrome pole shuffle, plus very bored girls in the shower adds up to not many customers, and that's what they had- not many customers, where they used to be full most of the time.

What finished it for me, was making the mistake of buying a girl in the shower a drink and expecting her to be able to go sit with me within a reasonable amount of time, especially considering she'd already been showering for about 20 minutes. 15 minutes later she was still showering and I left. They did not get a tip.

Perhaps things like that can explain why less mongers ( ie the elusive farang tourist ) are becoming more rare in Pattaya.

Is Pattaya dead for western tourists- no, but they aren't helping themselves much. With the price they charge for drinks, customers are starting to expect better value for what they pay than what they are getting.

No.

you must be joking! 5 years in jail there just for wearing bleeding Santa hat at Christmasbah.gif

Thailand is putting most of it's eggs in one basket, Chinese. They over crowd tourist areas with bus load after bus load of Chinese and chase other country's tourists away. We all saw the drop in Russian tourists who were not really so huge have an impact on the industry, what will happen when the Chinese tourist trade drops off ? It will happen at some point.

You seem to think that LOS actually planned it, LOL.

To have a plan would seem a stretch too far, IMO, given the disaster that is occurring on most once beautiful Thai beaches.

I think they just hope people turn up, wherever they are from.

If they had an actual plan, they might go the Malaysian way with long visa exempt entry at the border, instead of the shambles that Thailand's immigration policy is, with changes every 5 minutes that aren't informed to all the embassies around the world, and more penalties being introduced seemingly daily. That embassy officials can interpret rules to suit themselves is not a good thing.

Thai Air still hasn't posted their discount rates to travel agents for April. Last time I looked it was over NZ$3,000 NZ to LOS and Singapore was charging just over NZ$1,000. Which airline will I use- no brainer!

No.

And my gf want go Singapoore for holiday. I told ther its expensive sh.....

But she says air asia promo

No.

Ha Ha

Yes i have a few times, but landed and drove straight through to Miri.

im sure i saw a people burka's smile at me !!!!!!!!

But not to sure if they were women or not . thumbsup.gif

9pm is way to early for a WS gogo most punters still in the beer bars, peak time is 11pm till 1am,

9pm is way to early for a WS gogo most punters still in the beer bars, peak time is 11pm till 1am,

Agreed, way to early.

:)

Disagree, if you want the best girls 9pm is prime hunting. It is not a benefit to have a ton of other guys there. No worries of kissing her and getting a salty taste either.

Edited by Hal65

Disagree, if you want the best girls 9pm is prime hunting. It is not a benefit to have a ton of other guys there. No worries of kissing her and getting a salty taste either.

Not worried about the girls it was more about the amount of customers out, 10pm onwards IMO is better.

:)