Pharmacy Wouldn't Sell Me 'dymatap(sp) Cold And Sinus' ..... Why?

Slated

I've got a cold and wanted to pick something up for my cough and sinuses. I asked to see the Box of 'Dymatap' behind the counter, and she said she could only sell me the childrens formula. I then asked her what she recommended for a bad cold, and handed me some Thai stuff.....

Why wouldn't she let me butit? Is it like in the states, where some places won't sell NyQuil because people are making Meth with it? If so, why do they carry it if they aren't selling it? Script only lol?

Try the pharmacy next to Nana Plaza - looking from the other of the road its on the right hand side (if its still there!) - they'll sell you anything and I mean anything. I had bad toothache a few years back and the girl said to me "how bad?", I said very bad - she produced a box of MST from under the counter and gave me a strip of 75mg x 10 morphine tablets. "Don't chew - swallow" (bit rich coming from her I thought!) - I chewed.

Dont remeber the m rest of the day but the tooth ache was gone.

Nope - Thailand pharmacies are hopelessly unmonitered and will sell just about anything over the counter, so I am suprized that you were not able to pruchase what you saw on the counter shelf.

Tim

I've got a cold and wanted to pick something up for my cough and sinuses. I asked to see the Box of 'Dymatap' behind the counter, and she said she could only sell me the childrens formula. I then asked her what she recommended for a bad cold, and handed me some Thai stuff.....

Why wouldn't she let me butit? Is it like in the states, where some places won't sell NyQuil because people are making Meth with it? If so, why do they carry it if they aren't selling it? Script only lol?

You should return to the pharmacy and personally thank them for not selling you DIMETAPP.

One of the key ingredients of Dimetapp is Phenylpropanolamine, and this can cause a hemorrhagic stroke (bleeding into the brain or into tissue surrounding the brain).

It is a banned drug in the U.K.

If you have a cold try paracetamol and fresh orange juice.

Dimetapp is still available and can be bought from a pharmacist.

The formula with the PPL was withdrawn a while ago and a new non PPL Dimetapp formula has been placed on the market containing phenylephrine.

Edited by Farma

Dimetapp is still available and can be bought from a pharmacist.

The formula with the PPL was withdrawn a while ago and a new non PPL Dimetapp formula has been placed on the market containing phenylephrine.

Thanks for that update: I was unaware that PPA ( Phenylpropanolamine) had been removed from Dimetapp medication in Thailand. I have just been refreshing my optical isomerism on this drug. But the British BNF still doesn't list it as prescription drug.

I was always a great fan in the UK of making hot toddies for colds and 'flu using 'Lemsip' and a liberal shot of whisky/rum etc.

However when working in SE Asia I found it impossible to buy any of these 'analgesic' type powders anywhere, so now have a large UK-bought stock for personal use. Not sure why these powders seem to be generally unavaible over here. (I have not actually tried looking for them in Thailand).

rak sa_ngop

If you can’t find them in your local pharmacy, look for a pharmacy supplier in your local makro. They stock these items for bulk sale but you may be able to buy smaller amounts.

In provincial cities, look around the market areas near local bus depots. Some pharmacy wholesalers have shops there to catch the village trade.