An In-Depth Guide to Thailand Money Matters for Expats

I've put together a guide on exchange rates, bank accounts, credit cards, brokerage accounts, LTFs/RMFs, and digital payment options. It's mostly targeted at expats living in Thailand, but it should come in useful for visitors who are looking to get a good exchange rate or want to open a bank account on a tourist visa.

Entire post on money matters in Thailand can be found here:

https://www.karstenaichholz.com/money/thailand-money-matters/

Happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Well done on an excellent guide. I just hope the forum master doesn't remove your post as personal advertising!

I too use Bangkok Bank and have found them very good - no problems in nearly five years. I don't bother with a credit card. Money transfers into Thailand are not a problem. My UK pension is paid direct to by Thai account. They speak reasonable English at Phuket branches.

I have heard good things about Krungsri. They recently spent a lot of money here training their staff in English, so it looks like they want more falang customers.

My UK pension is paid direct to by Thai account.

[...]

I have heard good things about Krungsri. They recently spent a lot of money here training their staff in English, so it looks like they want more falang customers.

Did you ever check the exchange rate at which the pension gets exchanged into Thai Baht? That tends to be the biggest, hidden cost. You can compare it with the 'official' exchange rate on any specific day using Oanda's exchange rate calculator.

Interesting to hear about Krungsri spending on training staff in English. Do you have more details on what kind of training they're doing?