would Thailand roads be even more dangerous if there were no motorcycle riding tests?

Asiantravel

You would indeed not notice a difference.

The practical test is a joke anyway.

The theoretical test is not of any use to educate people to drive with manners and brain.

xx % drive without a permit (under age e.g.) anyway.

So Hun Sen's proposal for Cambodia sounds like "pragmatic" / "reflecting reality" wink.png

“People do not have to learn how to drive a motorbike … this is not very complicated,”

What a stupid un-researched comment with no basis in reality. Yes he is right if you are only talking about the basic concept of how to use a throttle and a brake, most kids can do that through a little trial and error.

But that does not teach how to use them to their most efficient. Far safer to be shown how to do something safety, than learn by trial and error through repeated crashing. It certainly does not help with the rules of the road.

All this guy is trying to do is win votes not save lives.

Now if he was doing it because the current testing was not up to scratch that would be different. We can question the testing regimes around the world as not fit for purpose as all that happens is people are taught to pass the test and accept that as the required standard wherever level that standard is set at. So people are taught to pass a test - not how to ride. But just removing any training and testing is definitely going to wrong way.

“People do not have to learn how to drive a motorbike … this is not very complicated,”

What a stupid un-researched comment with no basis in reality. Yes he is right if you are only talking about the basic concept of how to use a throttle and a brake, most kids can do that through a little trial and error.

But that does not teach how to use them to their most efficient. Far safer to be shown how to do something safety, than learn by trial and error through repeated crashing. It certainly does not help with the rules of the road.

All this guy is trying to do is win votes not save lives.

Now if he was doing it because the current testing was not up to scratch that would be different. We can question the testing regimes around the world as not fit for purpose as all that happens is people are taught to pass the test and accept that as the required standard wherever level that standard is set at. So people are taught to pass a test - not how to ride. But just removing any training and testing is definitely going to wrong way.

You are missing the point.

The Micky-mouse driving skills test in Cambo and Thailand contributes nothing to safety nor rules of the road.

Indeed, it would not be "up to scratch" by your standards.DELETED

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

I would have thought that most Thais getting a licence would already have been riding bikes for quite a while.

So old habits die hard, if you pardon the expression.

Edited by roo860

Well in the 3 years that I have been in Cambodia l have yet to meet anyone that has a motorcycle license. I can tell you for sure that driving habits here are substantially lower than Thai. Few people have a car or truck license, nevermind a motorcycle, and fewer still have any knowledge of driving rules. It is a constant problem trying to decide how to drive here for any foreigner, do you drive properly and have an accident because nobody expects you to drive in such a manner, or do you drive like a local and have an accident anyway. The main difference in my experience between the two countries is that driving here is much slower, but more difficult for the above reasons. Nobody knows what the other drivers intentions are so it is very necessary to proceed slowly at all times. Driving in Thailand may be thought to be dangerous, driving here is purely guess work. Removing the test here will have no impact, removing it in Thailand in my opinion Will cause a deterioration and increase risk and accident's accordingly.

Everywhere in the world the standards of road user behaviour are governed by the standards of the countries driving test.

For the majority of road users around the world their test training is the only training they will ever get.

It is not right. But it is the current system.

You do not know what you have not experienced or been shown.

All we do as Riding Teachers is share our experiences and knowledge passed down by generations in how to try and stay alive.

The current situation is wrong. But that does not mean it should be scrapped.

A higher standard should be set with suitable training standards to match.

I find it odd that in the UK which is often considered to be over policed, a huge amount of what we are trying to do is based on training.

While in the LOS where people prefer to avoid confrontation, the emphasis is on a confrontational test.

Edited by CarolJadzia

Carol,

You are still missing the point.

There is no actual skills 'test training' here.

Only the test.

No training.

Only the test.

My friend drove off the elevated concrete plank thing during his test

and still passed because the tester wasn't even looking.

These tests are a farce.

Hence irrelevant to safety.

QED

Edited by papa al

Maybe Papa you are missing the point? All you are doing is agreeing with me, know wouldn't want that would you. biggrin.png

I know there is little training in Thailand. It's not zero as there are a few schools offering it. But it's nothing like what we do on day one of a UK course.

For test from novice there is at least another three or four days rider training required. Unless you do what is recommended - spend a year getting experience on a 125 first.

But there is no point testing people to drive and ride to one standard when most road users drive by a different standard.

With no proper training people revert to what they know. They use the roads as pedestrians would and work out patterns to try and stay safe i.e. not stopping at a junction for fear of being rear ended.

So for any training to work it should be about working out how to deal with the system as it is, not to a test standard that most people do not adhere to.

No Surprise / No Accident

I don't know Carol.

Dropping the riding test would make little to no difference in safety.

Right?

That is the point under discussion in this thread.

All this 'how it is done in in UK' is not relevant.

Right?

Edited by papa al

The thread is entitled " would Thailand roads be even more dangerous if there were no motorcycle riding tests? " so I think discussing training and testing from around the world is both relevant and pertinent.

I only use the UK as an example due to my own experience. However I can also use many other examples from around the world.

Have you researched and have experience from multiple other nations to compare the road safety data with or do you only know the system you are in?

The thread is entitled " would Thailand roads be even more dangerous if there were no motorcycle riding tests? " so I think discussing training and testing from around the world is both relevant and pertinent.

I only use the UK as an example due to my own experience. However I can also use many other examples from around the world.

Have you researched and have experience from multiple other nations to compare the road safety data with or do you only know the system you are in?

Sorry Carol, but discussing training, and testing, in any other country ,is NOT relevant, as this op is

"would Thailand roads be even more dangerous if there were no motorcycle riding tests" so can you please keep is relevant to Thailand. In case you still have a problem, it clearly states "if there were no motorcycle riding tests," not what testing, training, should be.

The kids in the village can start riding the motorbikes at age 8 or 9 for some of them. I doubt too much time is taken to instruct them on rules of the road or general safety… The teenagers drive too fast and will enter roads from their driveways w/o looking. Even in the local city, people in cars and definitely motorbikes seem to have little idea of staying in a lane. It seems a major safety campaign is needed and I do not think it would take long if the police came into the villages and started giving out fines for underaged and unlicensed users.

The title of the thread implies there is an effective motorcycle riding test and that, in turn, has a positive effect on road safety in Thailand.

This is certainly not the case.

The test is a joke.

Many people are riding without a licence.

People begin to ride before they are old enough to take the test.

The test has no practical training component.

There is no enforcement of laws against moving violations to encourage riders to learn or maintain safe riding skills.

Sorry Carol, but discussing training, and testing, in any other country ,is NOT relevant, as this op is

"would Thailand roads be even more dangerous if there were no motorcycle riding tests" so can you please keep is relevant to Thailand. In case you still have a problem, it clearly states "if there were no motorcycle riding tests," not what testing, training, should be.

I think if we all adhere to your own personal bit of advice (or proposed rule) as quoted above and only directly answer the OP, this thread would consist of a series of one word answers relating to; would Thailand's roads be even more dangerous .... etc etc. Quite clearly ... any opinion or comparison related to the OP is of value and contributes to the debate, hopefully with a balanced argument put forward, to be read and considered by all readers.

In reply to the OP.

YES

Take my point?

I have seen some amazing motorcycling antics by Thai riders but yesterday an expat or tourist took the cake. I was going about 80 k when I noticed him at a low traffic time entering PakNam Pran from Pranburi. He was without helmet and in flipflops when he did a u turn right in front of me on the 4 lane highway. The SUV behind my truck was attempting to overtake me when I hit the brakes hard. I was blessed that I did not hit the moron and the SUV did not crawl into my truck bed!

Edited by sledpull

The present test is poor,but it exists.Some level of study has to be done to learn the traffic signs.In recent times they have improved it a little and I think they will continue to improve it.All though slowly.So yes the driving standards would be worse for not having a test.And things wont ever improve if you take the test away.

The OP is just another Thai bashing thread wrapped up in motorcycle paper. Any comments about what is done in other countries is simply cultural imperialism.

It would fairly simple in school or scouts to teach young children road sense for riding a bicycle but obviously no Thai ministry is interested, so...

As for Cambodia, I believe anyway that Thais over 14 are allowed to ride bikes 110 and below in the village with no licence, so it is almost the same.

Removing testing here would make very little difference. The reasons are because not only is there a large percentage of Thai's with no licence, and even if they do the test, it's a joke. When I did my test for both motor bike and car, 1 person went around the round-a-about the wrong way on the bike - still passed. Another actually crashed the car into the examiner box doing a reverse park and destroyed all the underseal of the car plus the back end - still passed.

Edited by Phuketboy

Brilliant. Being as people are being pedantic I will point out that the OP says

"would Thailand roads be even more dangerous if there were no motorcycle riding tests?"

it does not say if there was no motorcycle tests in Thailand. So me discussing testing around the world is perfectly pertinent.

But even if it did. Not discussing how others address the issues means it's only half a discussion anyway.