Korat farmers turn to alternative farming due to drought

webfact

Korat farmers turn to alternative farming due to drought

f.JPG

NAKHON RATCHASIMA, 12 January 2016 (NNT) – Local farmers are now planting low water consuming crops as an alternative to tapioca, as Nakhon Ratchasima Province faces its most severe drought in decades.

Mr. Sayan Chokasem, a local farmer in Nakhon Ratchasima Province, said the ongoing drought situation, the worst in 50 years, forced him to replace the cultivation of tapioca into lettuce and cabbage, as they require less water for cultivation.

He said that lettuce and cabbage farming yields higher returns than expected, generating about 100,000 baht income per month from 5 rais of cultivation, higher than what he earned from tapioca farming.

Wang Nam Khiao District Agriculture Official Chusak Aksornwongsilp has confirmed that drought affected farmers in the area are now turning to cultivate alternative plants, mainly low water-use organic vegetables and corns which are in demand.

He said the cultivation of alternative plants gives farmers income during the drought season as opposed to tapioca farming, and the district now has about 1,000 rai of farms tending crops that require less water.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-01-12 footer_n.gif

"........100,000 baht income per month from 5 rais of cultivation......."

IF this figure is accurate, why is anybody growing rice?

Probably gross income and possibly not taking into account the initial growing time and set up costs for irrigation.

Even so, I would think that the profit would be significantly higher than growing cassava or rice.

I don't believe that growing lettuce or cabbage require less water than cassava. Once established cassava requires very little water to survive. Cabbage and especially lettuce are almost entirely composed of water and required lots to grow. (google it). As for his profit figures I don't believe them for one moment either.

So every farmer reading this and believing the profit to be made

(which i don't believe),will start growing Cabbage and Lettuce,

then the price will crash ,due to over supply,problem is the Govt.

will not be able to buy the surplus and store in warehouses ,as

they just do not keep.

Wish some farmers would start growing Parsnips and Swedes,as

the price of imports are very high,theres a niche market for some

farmer.

regards worgeordie

Tapioca requiring more water then lettuce and cabbage to grow ?? ... blink.png Great to see some variation in their cropping ! Chokdee farmers ! thumbsup.gif

Out here in rural Khampaeng Phet Tapioca (man saparang) only get irrigated when it rains and it hasn't done that for more than a month.

We have a friend that grows lettuce and a few other vegetables but they do hydroponic/aquaponic farming.

they just do not keep.

farmer.

regards worgeordie

Then they should pickle the cabbages together with carrots, goes very well with fried rice....Indonesians also love it.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=atjar+tjampoer&rlz=1C1CHWL_nlTH663TH663&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI2-yt-aPKAhXUBo4KHX_9CkkQsAQIGg&biw=1366&bih=643

• 3 months later...

they just do not keep.

farmer.

regards worgeordie

They can't even get a carrot to have any taste - how are they going to get a parsnip to be edible ?

Swedes, good fodder for cattle.

Shame they don't grow yellow cassava here, I would think empanda's would sell really well here.

Because people now want to eat more red meat there is obviously pressure from the big boys to grow white cassava.

Farmers could look more at digging their own wells - subject to local govt. laws - I suppose.

Oh, I started farming in 1960, working UK and other countries, 50+ years on still have a keen interest.

A long time since i bought a lettuce , how much is one "on average" ?

In the Toops between 30-60 baht a small bag. Depends on which lettuce because they have so many. Salad bars are popular now.

What Tops sells for that price is lettuce leaves in a sealed plastic bag. Good quality but expensive. For much less than that Tesco Lotus sells a whole hydroponic lettuce still in its root container for around B35.