Temporary Fishing Ban in place along Pattaya coastline

webfact

Temporary Fishing Ban in place along Pattaya coastline

fish-4.jpg?fit=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- Commercial fishing vessels have been temporarily banned from fishing along a 4km stretch of Pattaya coastline to allow for stocks of fish to replenish.

The ban has been imposed by Banglamung District and the Army, who have today placed buoys along the 4kms stretch of coastline, at a distance of 800 meters from the shoreline.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/220625/temporary-fishing-ban-in-place-along-pattaya-coastline/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-01-12

If Thai fishermen thought for one moment they could get away with using dynamite they would. There are many such nations and some are in Europe with people thinking no further than the end of their short noses. They have no clue how eco systems work and how they rely one another. So fish and fish and fish and when there are no more cry to the government and pleed poverty and ask for grants and hands outs and bail outs.

As for the question about "fresh fish"..... Many people are duped all round S.E. Asia....MMmmm the sea food was so fresh and the "snapper" and "Sea Bass' was to die for !" Yeah right.... in most cases it is Baramundi a fish that is easy to farm in sea water, fresh water or brackish water. The vast majority of fish is farmed and not caught at sea. Don't believe me ? read this link below. Also I prefer to eat the fresh river prawn (farmed again) to the actual sea prawns that feed on the crap out at sea.

I soon wised up about sea food here when I saw places in Roi Et 600km from the sea selling fresh Sea Bass........read the section in the link on Thai Food....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barramundi

Brings up the good point of where does Pattaya restaurants get their fish? How far off shore do the fishermen typically go? Or are the fish flown in or trucked from the West Coast side and don't come from the Gulf of Thailand at all?

Night fishing?

If this ban lasts more than a week, expect the owners of the commercial fishing vessels to demand compensation from the government. Owners of fising boats in the South who were docked because they wouldn't meet the new requirements to regsiter their boats demanded and received compensation for not fishing. Why not the Pattaya fishermen?

Brings up the good point of where does Pattaya restaurants get their fish? How far off shore do the fishermen typically go? Or are the fish flown in or trucked from the West Coast side and don't come from the Gulf of Thailand at all?

Most of it is farmed fish and prawns

^^ Indeed. Makro sells a lot of fish and seafood to restaurants etc (and to individuals) and it's good quality and fresh, but I dont think that much of it has ever seen the open sea.

As far as I know the boats with the green lights that one sees most nights off Jomtien are fishing for squid, which aren't farmed.