Police

leighd7

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PM, a while ago said no more road blocks,and for a while there were none,

but this been Thailand ,where nothing is permanent,and due to what must have

been a large drop in income for the BIB, they are now returning,and the last few

weeks i have seen a few in different parts of the city.

But I am always waved through without problem,maybe because I have a camera

on the windscreen,or because i am an ugly bastard and they don't want to talk with me,

the only problem i see, some of the places they set these road blocks up they can

be dangerous .

regards worgeordie

They were out in force this morning,opposite the Juvenile court on Super highway,

just past Central Festival,one or two standing in the middle of the road,dangerous

place to be the way people drive here,you knew it would not last long,when there's

money to be made.

regards worgeordie

I was flagged down (next time I have to remember stay far to the right and haul ass) asked if I speak thai, I said no, asked for DL, when he saw the 5year license he said, "oh, very good" and was looking all around my bike for registration... asked me if I had registration, I showed him and he said "have a good day" patted me on the shoulder and off I went.

I think it was frontage road after coming out of bus station after the light, I don't remember it was a long time ago... 2 weeks.

200 baht for not having a license is a steal.

Edited by Nowisee

If OPS license is correct please answer how long have you been using international license in Thailand?

Thailand only allows you to use international for 90 days after arrival.

Not true British License and International Driving Permit is valid for one year.

With this you can apply for a Thai license without taking any Test.

Just letter from Doctor

And proof of residency.

While an english language license is accepted, technically an IDP or Thai is 'legal'...

As is proven by the fines being talked about for Phuket if not having an IDP.

And before Any more questions on License

http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/driving-licences/

I only posted this to make people aware that they have started up again after a few months off no road blocks.

And they burgers are Hungry.

Well thanks for posting it but I some how feel all you are doing is warning law breakers what areas to avoid and if it is people not wearing helmets you are encouraging them to carry on with that unsafe practice.

In affect you are warning law breakers how to avoid other law breakers.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifsad.png

If OPS license is correct please answer how long have you been using international license in Thailand?

Not true British License and International Driving Permit is valid for one year.

Just letter from Doctor

And proof of residency.

While an english language license is accepted, technically an IDP or Thai is 'legal'...

As is proven by the fines being talked about for Phuket if not having an IDP.

Yes an IDP id valid for a year!This means you can use it for up to a year in different places but you are not allowed to use it in Thailand if you stay here longer than 3 months.If you stay here longer you are considered a resident and legally are required to have a Thai drivers license.

It should not be a question how long you can get away with not having a Thai DL but how legal is it?

If you would get into a major traffic accident you better have all of your ducks in a row!Insurance companies are always on the lookout for a reason not to pay!

The License was correct International drive bike or car.

No more silly questions.

They try to pull a fast one.

When they had the choice to take it to the station and make it official.

They threw the paper work out.

They were only after money.

Full stop..........

You have nationality DL and international DL together?

Well I think they already state that they have both foreign amd International Drivers licence. That being both (for example) a USA drivers licence and an IDP (International Drivers Permit).

If you have both then you are legal to driver om Thai roads. The IDP is valid for year but only accepted in Thailand for 3 months.

Is easier to get a Thailad drivers licence if you have a current overseas licence. Check other blogs that already cover this.

Yes they are back in CM. Last Friday they had set up on the road behind the night markets ( one way road) that runs adjacent to the Ping River. In fact they were too far up on that road as I watched scores of Thais when seeing the roadblock quickly leave the road through the back of the night markets eating area adjacent to Pantip Plaza. Lol so the objective wasnt well thought when setting the road block/check.

No more silly questions.

Full stop..........

I would say that in 90% of cases, BIB are only after money, and 200 baht does the job. In the remaining 10% of cases, involving their individual loss of face, or under the spotlight, they are after your blood, regardless of the law.

Edited by eddie61

If you had everything in order, what was the "form"?

What did he throw away?

For fine go pay at station to get license back.

Argued about it not being correct license.

you know what they like try anything for their whiskey money.

Ah,so you didn't have a Thai licence.

The uk international licence has always been valid in most countries for the one year period only,and does not hold value back in uk at all,there you must hold your uk licence,also if you do not hold a valid uk licence in the first instance they will not give you an international licence of any value, period.

Regardless as to where in the road they setup,if a thai does not have the correct paperwork,or helmet,regardless if a one way or not,the thai will go in any space to escape,traffic laws dont mean much if anything to them,especially when money is at stake,or the loss of it.When you consider the amount of money that they earn,then perhaps you can realise that 200 bk is a large chunk out of them,dont get me wrong Im not agreeing with the way they drive,no way.

facepalm.gif Sukhmvit Rd near Highway Police station: Stopped on bike by HP, showed int'l license and still had to hand over B300. No receipt, no thank you. I went to tourist police immediately and they took me back where the guy was drinking beer. They made him give me my money back. I put it in the police station orphan box. The T. Police smiled.wai2.gif I now have two thai licenses via the Pattaya City Expats Club help. Thanks, Hans

No more silly questions.

Full stop..........

This OP is the good guy here, why does he not have the right to be upset? Would you all be so cocky if you were the victim, I won't give them money either!

For sure the UK IDL is valued for one year,but the value ends in thailand after or on 90 days,it is still valued for the remainder of the one year,but only in another country.The thai police know this and take advantage of it,unless you intend going to another country,you may as well save yourself the hardship and go and swop it for a thai licence,its relativly easy to do.

The Highway Police had a road block on 108 South of Big C Extra yesterday morning for three hours. They stopped mainly Thai commercial vehicles that were overloaded or looking worn out, so they had plenty of customers in that department. Bikers without helmets were stopped but i saw no vehicles impounded. I noticed two Senior Police Officers were present.

If you had everything in order, what was the "form"?

What did he throw away?

For fine go pay at station to get license back.

Argued about it not being correct license.

you know what they like try anything for their whiskey money.

What kind of license did you have ?

And was it current ?

P.S. I love life in a small town !

I have everything current but since they all know me and I always wear a helmet they just wave me through.

No Falang here.

So no 'get money from Falang' game :)

They are getting money from the Thais that are not in order.

Trying to clean up with the new view of Thailand.

They MUST write a ticket and then it must be paid at the station to get license back.

And there are many random road checks.

I don't know about up north but here in the south the cops do not play any game with the Thais.

Remember, southern Thais are 'strong willed'.

Dangerous to get them angry.

And they will get angry if the police mess with them for no reason !

I am fine I never let them get one over unless I really am In the wrong.

I perfectly relaxed.

I just making people aware, as the last 4 months there has been no blocks anywhere only night time for alcohol.

I might be angry at their incompetence to carry out police work correctly.

But that's a different story.

Happend to a mate in Phuket, they couldnt tell him what fine was for.. He had helmet, all appropriate papers, lived in Phuket 5 years already.. They waved him on when he said he had no money, he left, but also took a pic of where they were, of all officers in involved.. Now he's waiting to for trip to Bkk, and report it there...

OP's got me all stressed and shit, now i gotta go down to the seven for a couple.

Sounds like some of the other posters in this thread posted after they had a couple.

Considering all the blather, I'm not surprised that police assume they're unfit to drive.

Edited by Suradit69

Just letter from Doctor

And proof of residency.

You are permitted to use that IDP in conjunction with your British licence on a Tourist Visa (or Visa exempt stamp) for up to 90 days in that 1 year validity.

But thats a little beside the point - It does appear that the Op was targeted because he was a foreigner and viewed a weak target.

The Op knew his paper work was in order and stood his ground. If every foreigner stands their ground when they know they are correct there would be less targeting.

That said, the reason the BiB target foreigners is because so many flout the law and make themselves easy and rewarding targets !

OP: Get a Thai Motorcycle licence - it will strengthen your case in any future stops.

Just letter from Doctor

And proof of residency.

You are permitted to use that IDP in conjunction with your British licence on a Tourist Visa (or Visa exempt stamp) for up to 90 days in that 1 year validity.

But thats a little beside the point - It does appear that the Op was targeted because he was a foreigner and viewed a weak target.

The Op knew his paper work was in order and stood his ground. If every foreigner stands their ground when they know they are correct there would be less targeting.

That said, the reason the BiB target foreigners is because so many flout the law and make themselves easy and rewarding targets !

OP: Get a Thai Motorcycle licence - it will strengthen your case in any future stops.

If the op was targeted as you say because he is a foreigner how did the police know he was a foreigner in the first place if he was wearing the correct equipment plus helmet how did they know.

No more silly questions.

Full stop..........

You have nationality DL and international DL together?

As you point out an IDP is not valid unless you also have the licences it was issued on.